Industry Related Question- As a starting writer, how long a plot should I aim for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
As the title says. I have been working with several artists in relation to getting stuff hammered out for a manga project, and one of them expressed that the idea I have the most muse for currently would be a tad too long for a brand new, unproven writer to push. However, I love this world, characters and plot, and I have created a concept for a one-shot using the primary characters and setting from the main plot line that I want to someday go forward with. However, I want to know, realistically, how long a plot an untested can get away with in the manga/comic/graphic novel industry? I know more about how the industry works in Japan then here in the US, TBH, and as a result I am wondering, do things here work like Japan where if I put out a one shot and it is successful enough I can immediately continue the plot on past the one-shot into a few more volumes? How much popularity would be required for such a thing to happen if that is indeed the case?

Even further, how many volumes should I aim for total if I am allowed to continue on the plot past the one shot; how many, realistically, would I be allowed? Would that number depend entirely on the popularity of the one shot and previous volumes? Also, if I am working with a previously published artist who already has a few mangas/comics to their name as their writer, is there a chance I could try and go with something longer then just a one shot right off the bat? Is there a chance that could be done even with a new artist, provided their skills where prodigious enough and my plot was good enough?

If anybody who is more knowledgeable about the industry here in the US could address my concerns, I would be grateful!

Last edited:

Marta

Registered
Reaction score
If you're a new writer, it's generally best to start with something short. That way you have something to show prospective publishers and artists that will give them an idea of how well you can tell a story. The longer the story, the longer it will take to create and the more things can go wrong. You could also make it available for digital download or print.

If you have an artist lined up for a one-shot, though, might as well go for it. Will you have a Japanese version to post on Pixiv?

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
I sadly don't know enough japanese to sucssessfully translate it myself, nor do I have spair funds to hire out a translator. So I likely won't be publishing a Japanese version anytime soon. Even further, I won't be publishing anything online for free. I'll only be publishing traditionally, since my funds are extremely limited and all I can pay for are the three-four pages of art needed for submissions as appose to the entire volume it would take to self-publish my work. As a result, I am looking to go straight to traditional publishing so I can let the companies, who have far more funds then I, take care of paying my artist for work beyond the bare minimum needed for submission. I also am terrible at self-promotion, and have absolutly 0 knowladge of internet marketing, or marketing in general, so trying to turn a free webcomic into a published work is not something I have the skill and funds to do.

Admitedly, a lot of this is because I am offering my artist(s) rather generous compensation for what little work they will do for the submission package I plan to send to companies, but thats just how I am.

Sharii

I draw comics, lots of comics.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sharii.com
Plan it as a short miniseries, say, no more than 5 issues with each issue 20-24 pages. That's probably the best shot for a creator owned comic in the US market. Most, as far as I know, do not pay an advance to a new, unknown, unproven creator, so you're looking at maybe a couple of months after the release date to get paid (if you sold any) at the earliest. Even if you do happen to find a publisher who offers an advance, likely it will only cover a fraction of your artist costs for a single issue.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
Plan it as a short miniseries, say, no more than 5 issues with each issue 20-24 pages. That's probably the best shot for a creator owned comic in the US market. Most, as far as I know, do not pay an advance to a new, unknown, unproven creator, so you're looking at maybe a couple of months after the release date to get paid (if you sold any) at the earliest. Even if you do happen to find a publisher who offers an advance, likely it will only cover a fraction of your artist costs for a single issue.

Yup. The first place most indie creators go is Image or Dark Horse comics. Those are the two most high-profile indie publishers and they generally deal in limited series and one-shot graphic novels.

If you're lucky, and sales of your limited series/GN are astronomical, you'll get to produce it as an ongoing series. And if you're REALLY lucky, the idea will get picked up by other media, because there isn't enough of an audience for indie comics (in the US) to make anyone even remotely rich.

Last edited:

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
I also am terrible at self-promotion, and have absolutly 0 knowladge of internet marketing, or marketing in general, so trying to turn a free webcomic into a published work is not something I have the skill and funds to do.
Though a publisher will handle the marketing and promotion, it sounds like you may also have some difficulty in describing or selling your idea, which is an important skill when putting your submission package together. Typically this includes at the bare minimum a complete (not single issue) story synopsis and from three to eight sample pages; some publishers also require a script as well, either for one issue or the complete series, and a mock up cover.

I have been working with several artists in relation to getting stuff hammered out for a manga project [...] Also, if I am working with a previously published artist who already has a few mangas/comics to their name as their writer, is there a chance I could try and go with something longer then just a one shot right off the bat? Is there a chance that could be done even with a new artist, provided their skills where prodigious enough and my plot was good enough?
I interpret this as you've found an artist to work with already, correct?

Admitedly, a lot of this is because I am offering my artist(s) rather generous compensation for what little work they will do for the submission package I plan to send to companies, but thats just how I am.
Out of curiosity, what compensation are you offering?

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I actually have not one, but several artists I am screening and deciding between. Originally, I had little interest, but to my surprise the amount of interest skyrocketed while I decided to take a break from the search and now I have a total of 9 artists who want to work with me, but I can only choose one of them. I am in the process of going through their work and seeing who's style fits my story best, as well as communicating with each of them to see who's personality is the best fit to work with me. As for compensation, I suppose the reason I have so much interest is that I've been flexible. I have several payment options, and the artists will choose whats best for them. They can either take anywhere from $80.00-$100.00 per-page, if they like large up front payments, or can take anywhere from $10.00-$12.00/hr if they don't mind slower payment over time. I would, in all honesty, offer more, but I'm broke and all these funds come from aggressively saving a sizable portion of the pittance I make each week; "saving like scrooge" was apparently the best solution to my problem after all.

So as far as having an artist, I'm now in the exact opposite situation I was before. Instead of having nobody I have too many people and I'm forced to make hard decisions. It's amazing what a little bit of money can do.

Last edited:

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
It's amazing what a little bit of money can do.
Definitely.

I have several payment options, and the artists will choose whats best for them. They can either take anywhere from $80.00-$100.00 per-page, if they like large up front payments, or can take anywhere from $10.00-$12.00/hr if they don't mind slower payment over time.
I suggest not paying an hourly wage. Though I won't deny there may be some illustration jobs that do otherwise, page rates are the standard when it comes to comics. I think it's because even artists of the same skill level, performing the same tasks can work at significantly different speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.