Not able to read javascript?[Java; resolved]

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi.

I tried getting into the chat earlier, but somehow, I've managed to disable my computer's ability to read javascript (?). I poked about in my security thingies earlier, I guess that would explain it...

I would be really grateful if someone would be so kind as to tell me what I need to click on to get back in chat. :)

I'm on Windows 7 and IE if that helps at all.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on FF at the moment and can't check IE, but there should be an option to enable javescript under Tools > Internet Options (and then maybe Security).

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Click on Options, and under the Content tab there is a check-box 'Enable JavaScript'.

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're right. I know there's some sort of security tab/thing I need to click on and then enable/allow some sort of script(?). Forgot to mention that. Trouble is, I don't know which of them does what.

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Click on Options, and under the Content tab there is a check-box 'Enable JavaScript'.

Under the content tab all I see is 'parental controls, content advisor, certificates, autocomplete', and then 'feeds'. Didn't find anything that said 'enable javascript'. There's an 'enable' button with a shield on, but it's only 'depiction drug abuse/ gambling/ etc.' in there. :Shrug:

I'm on IE 7 (or 8?).

Last edited:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Agh, wait... (I have 9 installed on this laptop, so some changes are expected) Open up Tools, then click Programs - there is a button marked Manage Add-ons there, which opens a new window in which you can enable and disable things such as JavaScript. Not sure how much they tweaked things, but if it isn't in Programs, look in the Advanced list.

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or actually, not so squashy. Spoke too soon. Sorry.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

The chat system uses Java, not JavaScript; they are not the same.

You're better off downloading an IRC client. mIRC pretty much owns the market on Windows.

Were JavaScript disabled you would not be able to post to AW.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Were JavaScript disabled you would not be able to post to AW.

Not across the board. I have Javascript disabled as I post this reply to AW. IE 8.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Not across the board. I have Javascript disabled as I post this reply to AW. IE 8.

You will notice that I did not say the board would not work, or no one would be able to post.

I looked at the error log and the way he posted and his user session.

I know some shit. And a lot of that shit is shit you couldn't possibly know because you're not the server admin.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry that I misunderstood you. Look at what you said, and you might see how that could happen.

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
To enable/disable Java in Internet Explorer, go to the 'Tools' menu, or the 'Tools' drop-down in the upper right (or press alt+T) and select 'Internet Options'

> Click the 'Programs' tab and then click 'Manage Add-ons'
> Highlight 'Java Plug-in'
> Click 'Disable' or 'Enable' (whatever the case may be)
> Click 'OK' (you may need to click twice)

To enable/disable JavaScript, go to the 'Tools' menu, or the 'Tools' drop-down in the upper right (or press alt+T) and select 'Internet Options'

> Click the 'Security' tab.
> Click 'Custom Level'
> Locate 'Scripting'
> Click 'Disable' or 'Enable'
> Close and restart your browser

Last edited:

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Arrrg! I give up. I think I'll try the mIRC or the others instead.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
This is IE6 but it's probably more similar to IE7 than are later versions, so here goes:

RIGHT-click on your desktop IE icon.
Select Properties.
Click the Security tab.
Click Internet in the row of icons, then click Custom Level (down below).
Scroll WAY down to the "Scripting" section (below the Active X section)
On the item called "Active Scripting" click "Enable".
Then click Apply or OK until all the dialog boxes go away.

If this doesn't work, then very likely a virus has messed things up (some of 'em limit your ability to change IE's settings).

Or to avoid this insanity, install some descendent of Mozilla (I use SeaMonkey, but Palemoon is also an improvement over Firefox) and then install Prefbar, the ONE add-on I can't live without. One of Prefbar's many benefits is that it gives you a toggle box to turn Javascript on and off with a single click, no need to go dumpster-diving in some obfuscated menu. (I also especially like the toggles for colors, flash, and stylesheets!)

You can install as many browsers as you like, and even multiple versions -- just be sure to install them in different directories so they don't clobber each other. I usually have a dozen or more installed. I never EVER "upgrade"; rather, I always install the newer version as a separate program (cuz very often the new version is messed up).

JMC2009

Your friendly neighborhood Chat Op
Registered
Reaction score
Archer, have you been able to get in? PM me if not, there's something I want to check.

Niniva

Life is just a bowl of cherries...
Registered
Reaction score
Chat? We have chat?

I haven't been on chat in 15 years. I probably shouldn't start back now, though. It didn't do my grades any good, and I'd hate to see what it could do to a marriage...

JMC2009

Your friendly neighborhood Chat Op
Registered
Reaction score
marriage schmarriage. Come join us, we'd love to have you!

Just as long as you don't mention my lack of social life... too busy for one. ;-)