The Trip to Italy

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
This was beyond horrible. It was the first movie I walked out on in years and years. Such a bad film. Two guys trying to make each other laugh over dinner...by fucking impersonations. Just dreadful! We walked out about halfway through...I would have left sooner, but my partner had faith that there would be a funny moment SOMEWHERE along the way. Save your dollars, this one sucks ass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55OtglvtXuI

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ermmmm ..... that's a TV series over here. With two well-respected comedians. And the writing is actually very clever if you know who they are impersonating.

I'm sorry you didn't like it but it's not that bad.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I guess it's a taste thing, but I adored THE TRIP and found it surprisingly moving. I suppose the sequel could be worse, but from all the reviews I've read it sounds like it is quite similar to the first in quality.

Also if it's anything like the first film there's a lot more to it than trying to make each other laugh. It's also two actors playing versions of themselves at different points in their careers, playing status games with each other, with the Steve Coogan character also having to deal with a career he feels isn't what it should have been. It is all about the artistic ego, the pain of not living up to your expectations, family vs career etc.

And also Michael Caine impressions :) .

At any rate, maybe this second one is dreadful, but I'm still going to give it a chance. I'll report back my thoughts!

ETA: I should add that while there usually are funny moments, it's actually much more of a somber thoughtful kind of movie. Expecting a hilarious comedy is definitely not wise :) .

Last edited:

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Ermmmm ..... that's a TV series over here. With two well-respected comedians. And the writing is actually very clever if you know who they are impersonating.

I'm sorry you didn't like it but it's not that bad.

I knew every single person they were impersonating. It was still the biggest load of shit I ever witnessed.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I emjoyed the first one, and I ADORE Rob Brydon, so we're going to give this one a chance.

Rotten Tomatoes (87% fresh) seems to say it will be worth it.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I wanted to like this. I really and truly did. It actually presented itself as just the kind of comedy I like...a deeper sophisticated one with poignancy. But I thought it was horrendous. Just my own personal opinion. It seemed like two men eating lovely meals, wanking in each others' faces. There were plenty in the audience who enjoyed it. I was practically crying by the time my partner finally had enough. I didn't last nearly as long...

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ah. So just you then.

:tongue

To everyone else, I've seen this and it is on a level with the first one. And the scenery is even better.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Scenery was lovely, yes...

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I saw it last night! And as per my promise I am back to share my thoughts.

I really enjoyed it and found it wonderfully laugh out loud funny (as did the audience I was seeing it with). I didn't think it had quite the same level as pathos and insight into the characters as the first one (I felt kind of like they just decided to flip the focus and make Rob the guy going through stuff this time in the exact same way as Steve last time), but I still thought there were some wonderfully honest moments (I especially liked Rob practicing his audition in the mirror in many different voices and basically concluding he wouldn't get the role but maybe he could and you could tell just how terrified he really was).

I could also see how if you didn't know any of the references, either who they were impersonating nor facts about the two actors' careers (like that throwaway reference to Steve playing opposite Owen Wilson in the NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM movies), that you could get lost and/or bored for sure.

But I really enjoyed it. The food looked amazing. The scenery was stunning. And I found it was really very funny.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm glad you liked it. I got all the references.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Sorry, I should have been clearer. My "you" was meant to be "one". I didn't mean to suggest you personally didn't get the references, but I could see how it would be dull for anyone who didn't. I also understand that everyone has their own tastes and it's possible to totally understand everything and still not like it :) . Didn't mean to suggest otherwise :) .

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Once walked out on a live performance. Small gathering. Audience of about a hundred. Several chuckled at my departure as did the performer himself. Guess that had happened before. The performance was avante garde, highly experimental ... and rather brilliant in hindsight. Not that I'm sorry I left. It really was a bit much. Particularly with this couple in front of me who kept laughing nonstop.

ps Neat you went on a date there.

Last edited: