MasterChef US Season 5

plumone

Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone watching MasterChef? I hate cooking but I love this show. It was so interesting to watch Gordan filet the salmon this week- quick and efficient!

I am rooting for Leslie, but I know a lot of people hate him. I think Cutter is the next one gone.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
We've watched this series since the beginning. I am frequently amazed at some of the dishes these home cooks often produce. We would love to be tasting these dishes right along with the 3 celebrity judges.

Last episode, Joe Bastianich did something completely out of character while tasting a contestant's dish. Normally, he is highly critical and often downright mean. After tasting this dish, he turned to Ramsay and Elliot and said "wow," indicating his astonishment at how good the dish was.

For a home cook to elicit such a reaction from a pedigreed food guy makes me want to take out a loan and book a table at a 5 star restaurant.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I too am rooting for Leslie! The show seems to be trying to paint him as a jerk but everyone else is coming across as jerks to him. He seems to be a solid contender with the food challenges but falls a little short on the team challenges (which are honestly my least favorite part of the show).

And i also like Courtney too. And Elizabeth. Cutter needs to go. I have no idea wtf he is doing there still.

plumone

Registered
Reaction score
Cool thoughts everyone!

I read that during the week, the cast are given cooking lessons relating to the mystery box challenge. So, if the mystery box was beef, they would get lessons on how to cook and tenderize meats, and what to make with meat. But they wouldn't be taught beef exclusively. This info really cleared up my confusion when people would say they have never cooked X before, and then make a stunning dish.

Ugh, I hate Joe. Way too into himself and thinking he's so great cause he's a chef.

Elizabeth is coming into her own as well. It seems like Willie has been slipping lately.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I'm still stunned (in the best possible way) over Christine winning. Legally blind and able to create dishes that taste good *and* look stunning. That was awesome.

I haven't settled on a fave. Not yet. These competition shows seem to find this one contestant who is bad, but never screws up as badly as others for the first few weeks. Cutter seems to be that one this season. And he doesn't even know it. I think he's tweaked all three chefs enough that they only need half a reason to boot him. Eventually, he'll run out of others who screw up.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I'm rooting either fir Ahran or Christian... Words cannot describe how much I loathe Courtney. (Seriously, I just tried.. and I couldn't think of anything)

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
I feel like Leslie was this season's "kind of a jerk, but he'll show his redemption before getting cut" contestant. I feel like Cutter is all of a sudden this season's "non redemptive jerk" contestant, though he hadn't come on quite so strong as that in the beginning.

A couple weeks ago, it occurred to me that we were having a good season; it was only the first time Joe had gotten the garbage can.

I can't really say who I think this year's winner will be. Ahran maybe, because she is so young and constantly surprising the judges (much like in the first season, with that particular winner). Maybe Willie, who I like quite a lot, and who does well consistently. Though all three judges do seem really fond of Courtney....

plumone

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't think Daniel would go before Willie & Cutter. That was a shock.
The pressure tests keep getting more intense!

I'm still rooting for Leslie.