The Knick on Cinemax

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
The Knick, directed by Steven Soderbergh. I sat mesmerized for the hour--watched some of it through my fingers--then when it was over, my husband and I looked at each other and both said: “What the hell was that?” Then I said: “I can’t wait for the next episode.”

Set in 1900 at the Knickerbocker Hospital in Lower Manhattan, the series follows main character Dr. John Thackeray as he tries to move medicine forward. He’s an unlikeable, complicated antihero type. Reminded me of House. Early medicine is perhaps one of the most horrifying subjects--I am SO thankful for modern painkillers and anesthesia--and the scene in the operating theater (no spoilers) was truly harrowing, and I don’t want to ever see it again. Excellent production value. The electronica soundtrack is unusual but works really well in juxtaposition to the Edwardian-era clothes and horsedrawn carriages. Had kind of a Gangs of New York feel.

One thing that struck me. There’s a scene where Owen (Thackeray) is literally smelting a new medical instrument in the hospital’s basement. So many medical tools in use today were born out of necessity by the doctors using them. Mindboggling.

It’ll be interesting to see how the series progresses. My DVR is set. :D

Anybody else watch? What did you think?

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I got a sneak peek at it. One of the producers is a family friend. :) And I enjoyed it. I don't think I'm going to watch it while eating something next time, though. I was eating leftover spaghetti. Not a good move.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
I got a sneak peek at it. One of the producers is a family friend. :) And I enjoyed it. I don't think I'm going to watch it while eating something next time, though. I was eating leftover spaghetti. Not a good move.

Blerg! That is the exact wrong thing to eat while watching, I think. :)

I hope your friend is enjoying the praise it's getting so far.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I watched it last night - It's very well done, but I don't think I'll watch it again...There's something about it (besides the way Dr. Edwards is treated) that rubs me the wrong way.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Lavern, the story arc involving Dr. Edwards is so infuriating, but I'm guessing realistic for the time, unfortunately. I think his story line is going to be very interesting to watch. A big chunk of the second episode is devoted to him. I mean, he's obviously the smartest one of them all.