General anime discussion thread

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
DBZ Battle of the Gods was amazing! I saw the sub last year, but they added humor to the dub. And the theater was packed to the point where people were standing. So cool.

Yay! Good to hear you enjoyed it. It's interesting to hear people standing in a cinema. Around here tickets are bound to seats, and if they're sold out you don't get in.

And good for anime. Maybe things like this will open people up to it.

Dragon Balls is pretty much a thing of its own. I'm not sure it'd spill over. Possible, though.

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
Yay! Good to hear you enjoyed it. It's interesting to hear people standing in a cinema. Around here tickets are bound to seats, and if they're sold out you don't get in.

Dragon Balls is pretty much a thing of its own. I'm not sure it'd spill over. Possible, though.
The theaters here are supposed to be sold to the seats, so I'm not sure what happened.

As for it spilling over, I doubt it will make everyone an anime fan, but maybe if people see a popular one selling well and hear it's good, they might open up.

It was cool though. I think I was the only one not quoting the movie as we left. No cosplay, though.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
As for it spilling over, I doubt it will make everyone an anime fan, but maybe if people see a popular one selling well and hear it's good, they might open up.

It certainly won't hurt. :D

Just heard we're getting a third season of Working!! Not sure who here watched that show, but I'm quite fond of this cute little comedy.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
Just heard we're getting a third season of Working!! Not sure who here watched that show, but I'm quite fond of this cute little comedy.

OH MAN!

Granted, I was a little annoyed at the regression of the "I'm terrified of all men" girl in the second season, but it was still amazing.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
Yay! Cardcaptor Sakura will be streaming on Crunchyroll starting Tuesday. And yesterday, I was just talking about how I miss that anime.

With my love of Madoka Magica, and my watching of Sailor Moon Crystal... Gosh, now I really want to write a magical-girl based story. ^^;;

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Granted, I was a little annoyed at the regression of the "I'm terrified of all men" girl in the second season, but it was still amazing.

Yep, but the second season belonged to Yamada anyway. :D

Source is Official Twitter.

Yay! Cardcaptor Sakura will be streaming on Crunchyroll starting Tuesday. And yesterday, I was just talking about how I miss that anime.

Hehe. That was such a cute show (I never saw the last part, though). Tomoyo is such a wonderful best-friend character.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
We lost a fellow fan today. :(

robin-williams-neon-genesis-evangelion.png

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Hm, who would you guys consider to be the greatest mind in anime? As in making it, not character. Like, who's the person/people that can get you to watch something just because you see his/their name attached to the project?

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Hm, who would you guys consider to be the greatest mind in anime? As in making it, not character. Like, who's the person/people that can get you to watch something just because you see his/their name attached to the project?

I have a bit of trouble answering this, since I often don't know who does what. Currently active, hm...

Among directors, I tend to check out anything by Shin Oonuma. Even if the show is awful, it's usually pretty. There are alway good lighting effects (with excellent dramaturgy) in his shows. Check out this beautiful opening to a mediocre to bad show.

I've also noticed that everything Hiro Kaburaki directs entertains me above avarage: Kimi ni Todoke, Tonari no Kaibutsu kun and Hoozuki no Reitetsu are all shows I loved watching.

Maho Takahashi is an excellent art director. I always like how her (his?) shows look: Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge, Amagami SS, Nobunagun, Kotoura San, Letter Bee...

And this one's hardly going to surprise anybody: I'm going to watch anything with a soundtrack by Yuki Kajiura. (Except SAO2 this season; I... just can't.)

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if it was created by Kunihiko Ikuhara (Utena, Mawaru Penguindrum), I'll at least give it a look. He isn't very prolific, though.

There are a couple of mangaka who would cause me to snatch up any anime adaptations of their works (Higuri You, the wonderfully twisted Kaori Yuki), but their stuff isn't generally made into anime.

Having Yuki Kajiura do the soundtrack isn't quite enough to make me pick up a series I would otherwise ignore, although it might convince me to continue one that I would otherwise drop as mediocre. (Also Yoko Kanno and Yasunori Mitsuda.)

Overall, plot and genre tend to be the first criteria I apply when selecting anime to watch. Most of the time I don't even check up on the creative staff.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
Watching Michiko and Hachin lately.

It made me realize how much more immediate good dubs are. It feels like, as a non fluent japanese speaker, that I just pick up on more when they're speaking my native language.

Dubs sure have improved over the past decade haven't they?

Jinsune

Registered
Reaction score
Watching Michiko and Hachin lately.

It made me realize how much more immediate good dubs are. It feels like, as a non fluent japanese speaker, that I just pick up on more when they're speaking my native language.

Dubs sure have improved over the past decade haven't they?

I think it depends on which licensing company picks up the titles. I'm a fan of subtitled releases, but I still buy English dubs. Companies like Funimation have awesome dubs, but then there are other companies that just have terrible ones that make your ears bleed.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I should probably give an actual answer too for this. Their are two guys that I will always check out something they're involved in.

First being Imaishi. I love the art styles for any show he's involved with and while the stories don't always make sense, they will have truly epic and memorable moments. His notable works: Key animation for Evangelion, Animation director for FLCL, CG Battle Director for Black Rock Shooter, and main director for Dead Leaves, Panty and Stocking Gurren Lagann, and Kill La Kill.

And then there's Shinichirō Watanabe. Simply put, I haven't seen anyone else be able to flesh out characters the way he can. However his works tend to be very character driven with the plot coming secondary, which can turn off some people. Famous works from him include: Director of Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Space Dandy, Terror in Resonance, and a couple of the Animatrix shorts (Kid's Story and A Detective's Story).

Last edited:

Jinsune

Registered
Reaction score
I usually just pick up shows based on plot and genre. Although I did watch gun grave because of trigun.

I prefer dubs. I'll watch subbed but I think the jokes come across better in my native language.

I usually go by the manga. If I liked the manga/light novel/sound of the plot, chances are I'll watch the anime. I love Trigun.

You're right that some of the jokes come across good in English, but sometimes there's also a lot lost in translation and some of the dialogue comes off forced at times.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
You're right that some of the jokes come across good in English, but sometimes there's also a lot lost in translation and some of the dialogue comes off forced at times.

Hetalia and Baccano have the best dubs I've ever heard. Funimation did a great job with them.

I think it depends on which licensing company picks up the titles. I'm a fan of subtitled releases, but I still buy English dubs. Companies like Funimation have awesome dubs, but then there are other companies that just have terrible ones that make your ears bleed.

Maybe it was because I was such an elitist snob when I first got into anime, but remember when all dubs were kinda awful? I'm genuinely impressed by them now.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Midseason Check-in, ranked in terms of enjoyment:

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun: Comedy about a highschool shoujo mangaka and the girl who has a crush on him, but loses to manga. The excellent cast carries the show.

Majimoji Rurumo San: Adorable comedy with mostly okay but sometimes annoying ecchiness. It's quite lowkey and matter of fact, which appeals to me.

Sabagebu: Hilarious comedy about a survival game club. The characters are all either petty, selfish or vain - in a way that only works in comedy. This is for you if you like absurd humour full of non-sequitur.

Barakamon: My favourite show in the beginning of the season had quite some drop. It's still fun to watch, but I'd like it to be more low-key. The calligraphy angle is little more than surface flavour, but they do occasionally make something interesting of it. It's soothing slice of life. If you like that sort of stuff, you can't go wrong with Barakamon. (And Naru is adorable - voiceacted by a child, and it shows.)

Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus: Ooh, this is fun. This show has flair, and it's actually also quite suspenseful. Great visuals and soundtrack. Have to check out season one some day.

Hunter X Hunter:
The only shounen fighter I watched for 100+ episodes. It's strength lies in a wealth of unique characters which the creater obviously cares for. It's in its last season and the current arc may be my second favourite one so far.

Haikyuu: Standard sports anime. I don't know why I watch this one over a lot of similar ones; I think the characters just click.

Futsuu no Joshikousei ga [Locodol] Yatta Mite:
Pleasant surprise of the season. I expected an idol show with small-town flavour, and instead got a charming comedy about city marketing with idol flavour. The latest episode had the two idols and one mascot character try to watch the tv broadcast of their first TV appearance. The first half of that was one of my favourite anime moments this season. It's a humble, goodhearted show that takes its time to win you over, and you're never quite sure when it happened. They really do capture the semi-professionalism of a small town's city marketing.

Tokyo Ghul: I expected horror and got a shounen fighter with horror flavour instead. It's suspensful and fun. There's nothing really wrong with it, but there's also nothing particularly outstanding.

Aldnoah Zero:
Silly but fun. Good action. Switch off your brain and enjoy.

Hanamonogatari:
If you've seen any of the Monogatari shows, you'll know what to expect. It's five episodes short and apparently got broadcast as a marathon. After the first season of Bakemonogatari, it's been the shorter works (this and Nekomonogatari) I liked more.

Glasslip:
Glasslip is really picking up now and might be rising in my esteem. If you've seen any of the other PA Works slice-of-life/drama shows (True Tears, Tari Tari, Hanasaku Iroha...) you know what to expect. The characters are all distinct personalities, but they're mostly pretty dull. There are exceptions (Yanagi, Hina...). I still think they have some sort of plan that I can't quite grasp (with the way they employ sound and vision in this one).

Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?:
A decent enough harem show. It feels a bit like last seasons Kanoja ga Flag..., in that there seems to be a background plot, but it's better executed.

Fate/Keleid Liner Prisma Illya 2wei: Second season of the surprisingly fun magical girls show in the Fate universe. A bit too fanservicy, but otherwise decent. Not as endearing as the first season, though.

Jinsei:
Fanservicy comedy about a life-advice column in the school paper. Decently fun, but nothing special.

Hanayamata:
Decent moe show about Yasakoi dancing. Too much drama, too little dancing for my taste. There's something unique about the way they portray emotions in this show (I think it's a quirk in the character design, especially around the eyes), but there isn't enough range, and because it's unique it stands out and becomes repetitive. It's a strange feeling: they get something right, but do it too often.

Persona 4 the Golden: If only the first P4 anime had had this level of care put into it. Sadly, it didn't. What we have here is a rather pointless show that feels like an incoherent best-of-the-new-stuff-we-added-to-Golden. For fans and no-one else. It's also the first time I've seen anyone adapt a new game + (I'm not kidding).

Yama no Susume 2:
Moe show about mountaineering, goes from five minutes in the first season to ten minutes in the second. Feels a bit empty in the end.

M3: Sono Kuroki Hagane:
Both interesting and boring; one of those shows you can't quit because you're curious. It's decently suspensful while I watch it, but not particularly motivating to pick up. I suggest marathoning this, rather than watching it weekly, if you're interested.

Love Stage:
I'm not sure I'm buying the homosexual relationship, but the characters keep me watching.

Momo Kyun Sword:
Now, here's an odd one. The Momotaro story with a girl, Momoko, replacing the boy. It's got a naive kind of charm, the animals are likable, and this could easily run in the childrensection if... if it wasn't so in-your-face ecchi. Silly voyeourism and ridiculous breasts (with the peach, "momo", serving as a visual metaphor for both breasts and ass). It's 50 % thumbs up and 50 % thumbs down. A bipolar show, if I've ever seen one.

Ao Haru Ride:
Shoujo romance of the sort I don't like much (think Sukitte Ii na yo or Bokura ga Ita). I'm mostly watching for the voice work of the female lead, which gives the show a liveliness that counters some of the petty drama.

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moom: Crytal:
It's Sailormoon. I've never really been a fan. Usagi is annoying as ever; Tuxedo Mask has slightly improved (in comparison to the original season). It's the other sailor warriors I'm watching for. Oh, I hate the CGI transformation scenes. Ugly to mediocre.

Zankyou no Terror:
They did what I hoped they wouldn't: they're trying to make us care for terrorists in the cheapest possible way ("we blow things up, but we don't kill; sorry, but it's the tragic past"). It's more coherent than Aldnoah Zero, but it's so awfully serious without too much depth to back it up. At least the suspense works. I hoped it would be better, but sadly I got what I expected.

Dramatical Murder:
Turned out duller than expected. Well, since I've come this far...

Ai Mai Mi: Musou Catastrophe:
Possibly the most random comedy I've seen. It beats Teekyu. It might beat Excel Saga. First season was a bit better, but at five minutes you waste hardly any time, and I'm sure I'll watch a third season, too.

Akame ga Kill: This is... bad. I'm watching out of sheer curiosity, and because I haven't given up trying to see what people who rave about it see in it. But I doubt I'll make it through two seasons of this. Maybe it's the camp? Reminds me of a twelve year olds vision of a "grim-dark show".

Dropped: Rail Wars, Tokyo ESP, Bakumatsu Rock. (Rail Wars is just bad. Both Tokyo ESP and Bakumatsu Rock are okay, but I couldn't really motivate myself to watch the shows.)

Alexys

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like the only things I'm watching that you aren't are Argevollen (which continues to be by-the-book mecha drama) and Sword Art Online (which is disappointing but so far hasn't managed to create the out-and-out sense of revulsion in me that the second arc of the first series did).

I'm actually kind of enjoying Zankyou no Terror--not for the terrorism aspect so much as the plot-counter-plot part. Decent enough thriller/drama-type stuff. And the opening and ending theme music sticks with me for some reason.

The Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus soundtrack is by Yasunori Mitsuda--that guy I mentioned a post or two ago as one of the composers who might keep me watching an otherwise crappy show. He does more game soundtracks than anime, though (not surprising, given that he got his start working for Squaresoft, back in the day).

Alexys

Registered
Reaction score
Forgot to add: Akame ga Kill is so over-the-top on the grim-dark stuff that it's come close to giving me the giggles a time or two. I just can't take it seriously.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like the only things I'm watching that you aren't are Argevollen (which continues to be by-the-book mecha drama) and Sword Art Online (which is disappointing but so far hasn't managed to create the out-and-out sense of revulsion in me that the second arc of the first series did).

I'm not much into mecha, and not even a Kajiura soundtrack can make me watch SAO (I did try the first episode).

I'm actually kind of enjoying Zankyou no Terror--not for the terrorism aspect so much as the plot-counter-plot part. Decent enough thriller/drama-type stuff. And the opening and ending theme music sticks with me for some reason.

It's not that I hate Zankyou no Terror, and I can definitely see people liking it. My personal experience with this show, though, was the following: initially, I was interested in the show, but I didn't like anyone and was sort-of bored. Now it's a lot more entertaining, but my interest has waned.

The production values are excellent, though. It's the one thing I can rely on with Watanabe. And I agree that the opening and ending music is great. The ending might be my favourite theme music this year.

The Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus soundtrack is by Yasunori Mitsuda--that guy I mentioned a post or two ago as one of the composers who might keep me watching an otherwise crappy show. He does more game soundtracks than anime, though (not surprising, given that he got his start working for Squaresoft, back in the day).

That explains the music. :D

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Watched the newest Space Dandy just now and wow. Just fucking wow that was good. That whole episode was an existential crises in animated form. Despite being the darkest episode by far (debatable, I know consider other episodes included death and genocide as well), it still kept a somewhat cheerful tone throughout. This was like Watanabe showing how to have serious moments without completely destroying the tone of a comedy series.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Did a rewatch of the Tenchi Muyo OVA with dub. Damn, the nostalgia. The voices were a little clunky at times but I wouldn't have watched it any other way. It's hilarious and I've always loved it's animal and plant-based technology. No wonder it spawned so many spin-offs, even if I never cared for any of them. Ryoko is a huge inspiration of mine, first female character I ever saw in any media that really intrigued me. She fell in love but she never let it change her and she was still damn cool.

The second part of the OVA was terrible though, they just kept adding characters and couldn't seem to focus on the plot. Most reboots never turn out as good as the original.

Last edited: