I just went on an enormous Xena binge

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm laughing so hard reading this thread. I just figured it was bad writing on the parts of the writers.

---

Maybe they were serious?
:D

Nah...
:)

pandaponies

in ur boardz, correctin ur grammar
Registered
Reaction score
OH MAN stumbled across another really good quote OH MAN

"Joxer was always curiously ignorant about their sexual relationship. Joxer, Gabrielle and Xena have camped together for, I don't know... five years or something. And I'm certain he's never seen them without their clothes once. Because they tell him, 'Joxer, go to the hill, five miles, take a hike, and then come back.' So, yeah, he's... throughout the show, he's kind of... blissfully, curiously, stupidly unaware of what's happening with their relationship." -Ted Raimi (Joxer)

from some DVD extras :O

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I used to love this show as a kid. (Not Hope, though. I HATED that entire storyline. Hated!)

It's so sad that the actor who played Ares died so young. (A broken neck from a fall, IIRC.) He seemed to be picking up steam professionally, and he didn't even see 40. His episodes were some of my favorites because Ares was one of those unapologetic baddies that was so over the top fun to watch. :(

There were some seriously crazy fun episodes.

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
What?? Ares died?! omg, that is so sad. :\ This is the bad part about coming into a fandom way late, I didn't know about that :(

(also, I just found out that Xena Con next year is going to be the last one ever, UGHHHH, the pressure is on *glances at empty bank account and wrings hands*)

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score

I just watched the end

I have never felt so violated by a TV show. That was the most horrific ending I could have ever possibly imagined, the stuff of my wildest nightmares. Gruesome, debasing, utterly heartbreaking in every way... Just... my God.

I need, like... time to get over this

I feel like I'm 13 years late to a horrible bloody crime scene funeral :|

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen the show since it originally went off the air, so I just read through a summary of the ending, and I've got to say there's a lot of those last seasons I don't remember at all. I remember Hope, then the musical, then the end. I think I've blocked the rest of it from my memory. :ROFL:

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
I had actually already read a summary of the ending when I saw it and I STILL feel scarred for life. Even already knowing what generally happened did not prepare me. x___x I'm sure it has less of an impact if you aren't super-invested in the characters but Jesus.... I see why Lucy Lawless apologized for it. It was just (IMO) senselessly tragic along with being traumatically, abusively violent/irreverent.

And her having to stay dead to "avenge" the souls she freed made NO sense. It wasn't even really her fault, it was Akimi's/an accident (vs all the people she DID kill). And like... what kind of message is that? She couldn't redeem herself via all the good she did or how much she loved Gabrielle, she had to die? I just... what?!?!?! It would've been so easy for the writers to just go "Wooo the souls are free! Now bring her back to life! Now sail away into the sunset together to presumably have more grand adventures! Fin!" and everyone would've been happy. Like... why would they do this? For shock value? I guess it worked but not in a good way :|

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I had actually already read a summary of the ending when I saw it and I STILL feel scarred for life. Even already knowing what generally happened did not prepare me. x___x I'm sure it has less of an impact if you aren't super-invested in the characters but Jesus.... I see why Lucy Lawless apologized for it. It was just (IMO) senselessly tragic along with being traumatically, abusively violent/irreverent.

And her having to stay dead to "avenge" the souls she freed made NO sense. It wasn't even really her fault, it was Akimi's/an accident. I just... what?!?!?! It would've been so easy for the writers to just go "Wooo the souls are free! Now bring her back to life! Now sail away into the sunset together to presumably have more grand adventures! Fin!" and everyone would've been happy. Like... why would they do this? For shock value? I guess it worked but not in a good way :|

It always struck me as kind of, "No, we want this over!" That, or "Gabrielle spinoff!".

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
It always struck me as kind of, "No, we want this over!" That, or "Gabrielle spinoff!".
FOR REAL re: the "we want this over." Like "No, fans, she's DEAD. DEAD FOREVER. DECAPITATED and BURNED, *FOREVER*. NO MORE XENA. GOD."

I wish they could've at least died together!!! Like the crucifixion ("you were the best thing in my life" oh my god *emotional breakdown*). :|

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I just watched the end

I have never felt so violated by a TV show. That was the most horrific ending I could have ever possibly imagined, the stuff of my wildest nightmares. Gruesome, debasing, utterly heartbreaking in every way... Just... my God.

I need, like... time to get over this

I feel like I'm 13 years late to a horrible bloody crime scene funeral :|

Snuggle.

I blocked out the whole last episode, and it took me a good 5 years to be willing to watch it again.

Then I cheerfully changed the ending in my head, and they ride away on the ship together (you know, corporeally).

Much better that way.

I'm going through the same weird thing with Dr. Who. I'm only in Season 4, and when the first doctor changed, I grieved alone, because everyone else in the world had already seen it and grieved. And Rose, and... and everyone else knows what happens next, and I'm too afraid to ask!

But isn't it worth it? The beautiful, twisting heartache of Xena and Gabrielle.

My wife said that for her, Xena was the first strong female character she'd ever seen on TV, or read about. Said Xena showed her that she too could be strong. That she could kick ass.

And she does.

For me, I'd only see four of the very early season episodes, and even those isolated snippets gave me hope and a smile through a very dark time. I never forgot, and it was a pleasure to watch the entire series many years later.

Until the ending. Which I'm going to happily pretend ended MY way.

And what's this about next year's Xena-con being the last one?? My wife wants to go to it (my introverted, shy, hates public places wife actually REALLY wants to go). Dammit. Now I think we have to go.

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
I accept your headcanon. Yes, they ride away together on the ship. Corporeally. (omg, just the fact that the LAST SHOT was Gabrielle standing there alone staring into the distance... I think about it and just feel sick). It was indeed a beautiful twisting heartache. Oh my God, they way they look at each other, and the voice overlays of the "If I only had 30 seconds to live, this is how I'd want to live them: looking into your eyes" - which went from cheesy (but wonderful) to gut-wrenching for me in like 0.5 seconds - and the "I don't CARE! You're all that matters to me" and oh my god

besides Gabrielle having to find her body like that (which was just, again, debasing. awful, sickening)... I just... I just...... I can't.... I have NEVER been this affected by a TV show, it just hit some awful awful nerve.

re: the con - Yes!! It's the 20th anniversary con and they are "going out with a bang," they say. I guess the show is getting old and the stars are getting older and busier with their lives. They've got it plastered all over the page that this is the final goodbye/last journey/etc. So basically I have to go or I will regret it for the rest of my life. One of my friends wants to come too - please go, we could meet up with you guys!

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember the last one, to be honest. I kind of remember thinking, "wtf?" but who knows if that's accurate. The last season or two really didn't do much for me. I remember Xena saving Calisto and loving that, but so much got out of hand. The whole time jump and Xena's daughter (horrible actress) and the last few years it was Xena traveling to every single ancient civilization known to man. I half expected them to fly her to South America to hang out with the Mayans or Aztecs.

But, you go with it because you like the characters.

I was part of a Xena fan community for a while, but some of them were really negative, poisonous individuals who kind of ruined the "board vibe."

Ahh well. I'm happy keeping the good.

And I also loved when Gabrielle freaked out and went darkside. One of my favorite moments.

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
I agree about the ancient civilizations bit. I loved most of season 6 because of how ramped-up the gay got (I feel like they went "it's our last season bitches, we'll make it as gay as we want, try to cancel us now, hah") / all of the really touching moments between X&G, but at the same time, it got really dark and kind of... ......... like the scene where Xena snatches the knife out of Gabrielle's hand when she was going to kill Gurkhan (warlord/harem-owner dude) and takes the fall for it and they BEAT HER SENSELESS and it just goes on and on and it's bloody and awful and she just keeps hallucinating Gabrielle in front of her the whole time, Gabrielle smiling and stroking her face, omg it's just awful. I mean, I thought *that* was awful, and they took the last episode and multiplied that awfulness by 2093820983

re: fandoms - Yeah, they all have their bad apples. I've discovered the Xena tumblr fandom (oh no, lololol, I'll never get my life back) and they all seem really nice/great, but I've read a lot of the old Xena message boards and a lot of what I found was mostly just reeeeeeeeeeaaalllllyyyyy pervy. Like, you can like two characters together and imagine that they have a sexual relationship without being a perv about it and objectifying the actresses :| but bleh. anyway.

thedark

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
re: the con - Yes!! It's the 20th anniversary con and they are "going out with a bang," they say. I guess the show is getting old and the stars are getting older and busier with their lives. They've got it plastered all over the page that this is the final goodbye/last journey/etc. So basically I have to go or I will regret it for the rest of my life. One of my friends wants to come too - please go, we could meet up with you guys!

So I spent a good two hours of my morning reading everything on the con site (which wasn't that much, honestly), and trying to decide if it's worth flying to Los Angeles when you can't actually get a guaranteed ticket. You can only get them at the door right now, and I'm just not sure I'm feeling that risky. It's a huge deal for us to do that -- we'd be separated from our kiddo for the first time, plus the flights, the hotel, the security...

If I knew we could get tickets... you know, I'd almost even fork over the fundage for the fancy gold package, just for my wifey. But you can't even buy those except at the door.

Are you planning to wing it?

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember the last one, to be honest. I kind of remember thinking, "wtf?" but who knows if that's accurate. The last season or two really didn't do much for me. I remember Xena saving Calisto and loving that, but so much got out of hand. The whole time jump and Xena's daughter (horrible actress) and the last few years it was Xena traveling to every single ancient civilization known to man. I half expected them to fly her to South America to hang out with the Mayans or Aztecs.

But, you go with it because you like the characters.

I was part of a Xena fan community for a while, but some of them were really negative, poisonous individuals who kind of ruined the "board vibe."

Ahh well. I'm happy keeping the good.

And I also loved when Gabrielle freaked out and went darkside. One of my favorite moments.

I enjoyed a great fandom moment when the Oxygen channel in the US played Xena with chat comments on the bottom of the screen, and fans typed out lyrics to the theme song including the instrumental parts. It was hilarious, especially how people tried describing the opening notes of the song.

I pretty much blocked out the last episode from my head except for the last minute.

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
So I spent a good two hours of my morning reading everything on the con site (which wasn't that much, honestly), and trying to decide if it's worth flying to Los Angeles when you can't actually get a guaranteed ticket. You can only get them at the door right now, and I'm just not sure I'm feeling that risky. It's a huge deal for us to do that -- we'd be separated from our kiddo for the first time, plus the flights, the hotel, the security...

If I knew we could get tickets... you know, I'd almost even fork over the fundage for the fancy gold package, just for my wifey. But you can't even buy those except at the door.

There's a mailing list for when tickets become available. I put my email on the list. No, I won't go unless I have a guaranteed ticket, because I'll have to fly clear across the country for it too (which is a big deal for me monetarily; I make absolute shit wages at my day job).

edit: here it is:

"THIS SHOW IS NOT YET ON SALE. MAKE SURE TO BE ON OUR FREE MAILING LIST ON THE SUBJECTS YOU ARE INTERESTED IN AND WE'LL LET YOU KNOW WHEN THE CONVENTION LAUNCHES SO YOU CAN GRAB THE BEST SEATS: JOIN OUR MAILING LIST AT www.creationent.com/email.htm

Ticket & Event Info Coming Soon..."

The page saying "online tickets have been taken off sale" is for the Feb 2014 one (thank GOD).

edit 2: there's one that's December of this year whose tickets haven't gone on sale yet, so it looks like they only open ticket sales starting a couple of months before the convention. I'd def put yourself on the email list to be sure.

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score

Ummmm, wow. Sounds highly unorganized and fishy to me if they can't let you purchase tickets NOW.

and yes, thedark, I wanted to block out the bad, perhaps. LOL! Or, I could just be gettin' old!

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
No no Crasters, see my post above^^, they're just not on sale yet! It's the same company that's been doing Xena Con for years.

thedark

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No no Crasters, see my post above^^, they're just not on sale yet! It's the same company that's been doing Xena Con for years.

You've given me hope (and a new email subscription). I thought they had sold most of them already, and were just holding a few at the door. Are you SURE?

Cause... I think I'd do it. For the wifey. Cause she never, ever asks for stuff like going to a convention (and I'm a convention-lover myself).

Squee.

Small hope, don't want to get too excited.

There's still flights and childcare and a thousand other things that would have to happen if we could get tickets. Like budgeting.

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure!!! And grateful, because I'm depressed/in enough agony as it is. That finale WRECKED me, and the thought of discovering this marvelous HORRIBLE TORTUROUS gem of a show too late to be able to attend the last convention, just.. ..... ...............

I JUST said on the previous page that I almost never cry IRL and I'm STILL crying off and on over this stupid show. Every time I start to feel better, I get that video/song stuck in my head and hear Xena saying "you were the best thing in my life" and/or "if I only had 30 seconds to live" etc. and I die on the inside all over again. This is TORTURE. WHAT KIND OF PERSON COULD WRITE SOMETHING LIKE THIS

I will never do this to my [hypothetical future book] fans :| I have no desire to emotionally cripple people who [hypothetically] love my characters/stories like this ;___;

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
AAH, I'm so glad for this thread! I had no idea this was going to be the last con ever! Now I'm going to have to seriously think about going. *squeee*

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I went to the farewell Xena convention (the last season) where they had most of the cast. Was pretty cool. They had a montage video saying farewell to the show with clips. And the music "Time of your life" by Green Day. Can't find it on youtube, but it rocked.

What is kind of awesome is seeing Xena actors every now and then (or a LOT in the case of Karl Urban). I've seen Timothy Omundson in a lot as well (Eli).