The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Tierney! May good luck and productivity follow you on this lovely journey! :)
Are you in for weekly, biweekly, or monthly?

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I'm probably bimonthly, as I targeted myself six new completed stories for 2013. I've just started the second. This one is intended for my local writers' group competition (deadline Wednesday 13th, word limit 3000), but will be beta-ed and revised and submitted afterwards.

I had a novel beta to do for yesterday which took much of last week, and once this new story is done I will be doing one last pass on "Dog's Life" and fulfilling the Sub part of this forum's name. I will be trying it on Crimewave first, a magazine I've been in twice before.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Hello, W1S1! :) Just subbed a short story (first short story I've written in years) and I've got a few more on the way, so I'm officially clocking in for W1S1. Hoping to write and sub 1 short each month, as a minimum.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
Hello everyone. I'm just beginning W1S1. Over the past year or so, I've really let my writing fall by the wayside, and I'm hoping to use this to get myself motivated again.

Hello, W1S1! :) Just subbed a short story (first short story I've written in years) and I've got a few more on the way, so I'm officially clocking in for W1S1. Hoping to write and sub 1 short each month, as a minimum.
:hi: Welcome, new members!

Okay, my report...
Three stories out since the last time I posted. So, I've met my S1 goals for first quarter. And I've met my Re-W1 (rewrite 1) goals as well. March's is just waiting for some feedback before subbing.

:idea: I *should* start something new. Kinda sick of rewriting right now.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Ahhhhh, I just submitted a story to a market...for the second time. They sent me a very polite e-mail saying that they don't consider previously submitted stories, but I still felt really embarrassed :chair.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Nice work, soapdish! Good luck with the subs. :)
Thanks!

Ahhhhh, I just submitted a story to a market...for the second time. They sent me a very polite e-mail saying that they don't consider previously submitted stories, but I still felt really embarrassed :chair.
:Hug2: Gah! Totally natural to feel embarrassed, but I'm sure they know everyone makes mistakes and accidents happen.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
I've just entered my first W1/S1 short story in the MsLexia short story comp. I fully expect to be looking for a market for it sometime in June (winners announced mid-May). Now I'd better get on with story 2 as it's halfway through the month and I only have 400ish words...

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
They found my story and 30 others in a folder for an email address that was only up on their website the first few days the anthology was open for submissions. So they're asking me (and those 30) to add another month for response times. Oh well. What's 140ish days compared to 107?

Oh no! That's deeply annoying. As it was their mistake, you'd at least think they'd let you jump the queue. Seems a shame to penalise people for submitting in a timely fashion.

Update on this annoying N1ght Terr0rs 3 situation. They posted this on their Facebook page today:

"NT3 Update: We have now read and responded to every story submitted by Dec. 9th.
Note--if you submitted to an email other than [email redacted], we do have the story (about 50 subs), but it will be read and responded to AFTER we finish with the main reading pile."

So the first week or so worth of submissions will have to wait until after EVERY OTHER SUBMISSION is read and responded to. That's pretty upsetting. Mine's been there 130 days out of a possible 134 and will likely be there another couple of months. BUT: I shall have to be silent, I think, so as not to ruffle any editor feathers.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
March stats: 15 submissions, no new stories written :(, but finished revising and editing 2 super-old ones (1@5800 words, 1@28,000) in preparation for submission of one sort or another :).

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone knows any markets for a 1000 word contemporary fantasy piece (magic realism?) with mild suggestive humour? And it contains a bi-sexual bishop that might offend - though nothing is meant to be offensive.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Wondering if anyone knows any markets for a 1000 word contemporary fantasy piece (magic realism?) with mild suggestive humour? And it contains a bi-sexual bishop that might offend - though nothing is meant to be offensive.
Wow--that's really specific. :tongue

What about Untied Shoelaces?

Has anyone had any recent dealings with Fried Fiction? Their site looks to still be active but I haven't heard of any action there in a while.

articshark

shoes are like crack
Registered
Reaction score
So peeps, what is the average length of the short-shorts (I like that so much better than short fiction lol) you are submitting? What were the lengths of the last 5 you subbed?

articshark

shoes are like crack
Registered
Reaction score
I sent in a 2900 word short, a 4300 word short, an 11,000 word novelette and an 18,500 word novella. Working on an 8000 word novelette and an 18,000 word novella. Outlined a 8000 word novelette and an 17,500 novella.

I need some markets under 1000 words so I can crank these out. lol the longer pieces are almost as hard as a full length novel. Sheesh. Too much work, not enough time.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
So peeps, what is the average length of the short-shorts (I like that so much better than short fiction lol) you are submitting? What were the lengths of the last 5 you subbed?

I didn't look up my last 5, but as a rule of thumb I aim to keep my shorts under 5k. Most of the pro markets I sub to have a stated preference for that length, even if their guidelines list higher limits. Flash is a great, growing market as well. Of course, there are sometimes a story just needs more room, but if I write over 5k I make sure that I can't tighten it and I go into submitting it knowing my chances will be somewhat less for the extra length. If I was Gene Wolfe no one would care how long it was, but I'm not, so I figure I need to maximize my chances.

Oops, just saw that you asked for length of flash stories, not short stories. Between 500 and 1000 usually, unless a specific call wants something different.

Last edited:

articshark

shoes are like crack
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't look up my last 5, but as a rule of thumb I aim to keep my shorts under 5k. Most of the pro markets I sub to have a stated preference for that length, even if their guidelines list higher limits. Flash is a great, growing market as well. Of course, there are sometimes a story just needs more room, but if I write over 5k I make sure that I can't tighten it and I go into submitting it knowing my chances will be somewhat less for the extra length. If I was Gene Wolfe no one would care how long it was, but I'm not, so I figure I need to maximize my chances.

Oops, just saw that you asked for length of flash stories, not short stories. Between 500 and 1000 usually, unless a specific call wants something different.
No, I wanted your last 5 subs in general. Just to see if I am in line with others here on W1/S1. It just felt like my small pieces weren't really all that frickin' small. lol

But I do need some really short ones cause I am running out of time doing my novels and then trying to get in some shorts.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondered, has anyone here tried writing at a standing desk? I feel like I'm sitting too much.

articshark

shoes are like crack
Registered
Reaction score
Just wondered, has anyone here tried writing at a standing desk? I feel like I'm sitting too much.
One of my friends has a convertible desk. You push something and it pops up like those coffee tables that pop up. She moves from sitting to standing as she works at her desk. She loves it.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
It's been a really long time since I've checked in, being off in the vast wasteland of novel-writing. Just passed the 58k mark, aiming for a full first draft by sometime in June. But I had a little fit of writer angst today and wrote and subbed two very short shorts. Very therapeutic, and when the rejections come in, I can mope by going back to my novel :)

Welcome to the various newbies! I try to check in on y'all regularly, but I feel enough out of the conversation lately that I don't often post. Will try to be better about that...