The Strain

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm enjoying it more, but there is still plenty of silliness, like CDC doctors performing an autopsy (on a patient with a hitherto unknown, horrifyingly bizarre condition) without wearing masks. (And their associate doesn't know what a cloaca is.)

LOL, I know. I was covering MY mouth as I watched. Holy stupidity.

Argh, I wish I had so few complaints. Up til this week I was actually enjoying this show, but...Generally speaking, I'm more than a little annoyed by ALL the character responses in this show.

The female doctor, who assisted with the autopsy of some kind of vampiric parasite that completely destroys the former human DNA structure is suddenly bawling because "they can't get a cure" for that shit? I actually fast-forwarded through her crying about the child because I was like, "Lady, WTF. Get a sword and go. This is the Walking Dead, sister, not a CSI episode where everything is going to be solved by the end of the episode."

First off, I think anyone who was exposed to some unknown agent on a plane (or anywhere else) and subsequently began showing symptoms of illness, would hurry their ass to an ER to find out what was happening.
Yes. Thank you. Instead, let's chain ourselves in a shed because we can just "ride the symptoms out." So the smartest one here is the rock/goth singer, who actually brought in his "in the pocket" doctor last episode. "Hey, look at my junk," but the rest of them . . . uhhh.

I mean, just look at how they're handling the ebola virus--which looks like a wee lil' headache in the scope of this viral weirdness. Super careful. I would think that people might actually be visiting emergency rooms more after hearing about an entire plane dying from a possible CDC event.

Second, if you had a friend and colleague who f--ked up but he was the ONLY PERSON WHO HAD ANY SORT OF TIE TO THE ORGANIZATION BEHIND THE INFECTION--would you deem him "dead to you" and abandon him? No, you'd tell him it's time he makes up for his mistake by helping you sort this damn shit out!
I don't even know on this. You ostracize him. Send him home to his dying wife. By whatever you do, don't ask him who "the German guy" is, how to contact "the German guy," or anything else that might lead people to someone who is essentially committing biological warfare on the human race. Naww.

I'm not sure this show is actually written. It appears to be a series of scenes the creators thought might be "cool" and then strung together in a semi-linear fashion.
I have no idea, either. It's sloppy. Or, I don't know. Is this an alternate universe where people are stupid?

Last edited:

Primus

Del Lago
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoy The Strain, but it isn't FX's most prestigious show that's for sure. The gory and macabre aspects of the show are pretty great. But that scene (and the most recent episode I saw) where that goth dude's "thang" just up and fell out into the toilet like a deuce. I was just shaking my head. That was so fucking ridiculous.

And what happened to his two marbles? I remember hearing one splash. Did they just somehow twist and flatten into that Ken zone he had flaunting?

Crazy dude.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I think Goth dude's penis and testicles fell off all at once, hence the single splash. That was my take! Also- they didn't clog the toilet :)

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
And what were they connected to? Genitalia is not a closed system. It is one terminus to our digestive tract. (Even the reproductive aspects reach into the torso.) Yet there was nothing there but Ken-doll smoothness.

(I suppose if the idea was that his gens had become superfluous and simply withered away, the connecting tubes may themselves have atrophied and closed up prior to the external trappings, er, dropping...Or, y'know, maybe I'm overthinking this.)

Last edited:

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
And what were they connected to? Genitalia is not a closed system. It is one terminus to our digestive tract. (Even the reproductive aspects reach into the torso.) Yet there was nothing there but Ken-doll smoothness.

(I suppose if the idea was that his gens had become superfluous and simply withered away, the connecting tubes may themselves have atrophied and closed up prior to the external trappings, er, dropping...Or, y'know, maybe I'm overthinking this.)

I can explain the missing junk!!

The "vampire infection" actually turns into one giant worm! The mouth parts are what whip out and eat people, but the end of the worm ends at a newly formed cloaca. All the internal organs are atrophied and the giant worm is the only internal organ needed. It eats and poos, and the human body is basically a meat suit for the worm.

They do an awesome autopsy in ep. 4 where they pull the worm out by all the way to the roots! It's outstanding!

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Yeah, I saw that. That one made me wonder why bashing in the man's skull disabled him. The giant worm seemed to reside in the torso, not the skull...

Good point! Maybe the worm needs the brain to make the body walk around and do stuff? Like if it hijacked the human brain then taking out the brain immobilizes it?

I hope they explain it. Or not. I really have to get to the library so I can check out the book. Maybe that explains more...

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
I get the impression the only reason the books and tv show got off the ground was because of Guillermo del Toro's name being on the cover.

Tinman

Registered
Reaction score
Also- they didn't clog the toilet :)

Well, some of us guys are better endowed than others, lol.

I watched last night's episode and I think it's getting better. Still some
dialogue and situations that strike me as dumb. And did they really need a Van Helsing character?

CWHs2

Registered
Reaction score
The episodes are getting better, slowly. But I agree the main characters' reactions make no sense but that's what makes it fun to watch.

I haven't looked this up but the worms exploding out of the mouth thingy reminds me of the vampires in Blade II. Anyone else see the resemblance?

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the last one didn't suck as hard.

But I'm the one still watching Under the Dome, so what do I know? :D

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know! I don't know! It just makes NO SENSE!

Hendo

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
every time I see Rudy he manages to piss me off even more... oh and wtf was up with the chained guy in the diaper? He's a vampire... he couldn't have grabbed someone off the street like everyone else?

CWHs2

Registered
Reaction score
So, last night's episode...who were the vamipire dudes who saved the nanny and the kids at the end? And, on a side note, what happened to Mommy Joan's hair? Ick.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
So, last night's episode...who were the vamipire dudes who saved the nanny and the kids at the end? And, on a side note, what happened to Mommy Joan's hair? Ick.

OMFFFG! I just about died when the Cobra Commandos showed up!

I can't even express my undying love this show even I make fun of it on my Wordpress blog- if I didn't love it I wouldn't bother with the recaps. The whole show is just glorious madness and joy! I wish it would go on forever!

And damn! The nanny's daughter took a silver spike to the head!! Gah! I love everything about this show!

Hendo

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read the books but vampire and werewolf movies tend to have a history of warring factions so if I had to guess, I'd say they're the, "offspring" of another elder trying to stop the blatant spread of a rival.

and omg calling them Cobra Commandos had me laughing haha

MDSchafer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
firstfolio.blogspot.com
I was intrigued, but pretty early on I realized it wasn't an adaptation of "The Strand," and lost a lot of interest. I gave up when they called the evil corporation in the film "Stoneheart," or something crazy lazy like that.

I can overlook the bad medicine, but the writing seemed just incredibly lazy. Like the same guy whose gang randomly decides to try hold up the nicest pawn shop in brooklyn also has contact with the vampire guy? Also, what the hell happened to the laws of physics?

The only thing I've seen even lazier was in a Honest Trailer version of one of the Twilight movies. I mean, I don't watch or read twilight, but the Screen Junkie guys made it seem like super lazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnYPqippKVw

Last edited: