Last Movie You Watched...

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Watched the remake of Carrie, with Chloe-Grace Moretz. I happen to think she's a talented actress, but Sissy Spacek owned that role, and the original was so much better in every detail. Here, Kimberly Pierce (director) seems to be going over the same ground with worse results.

SunshineonMe

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The Expendables 3. Verrry long. What's with all movie makers and these long movies lately? *I'm looking at you, Transformers.*

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Watched the remake of Carrie, with Chloe-Grace Moretz. I happen to think she's a talented actress, but Sissy Spacek owned that role, and the original was so much better in every detail. Here, Kimberly Pierce (director) seems to be going over the same ground with worse results.

I feel bad for Chloe-Grace Moretz. She's been in THREE shitty remakes of classic horror movies, which isn't her fault, but it's not an inspiring track record. Definitely talented, but needs better choices.

PsylentProtagonist

American Vampire
Registered
Reaction score
Watched Jurassic Park with my wife and mom tonight. My wife had never seen it and it's been many years for me. I never realized how unscary it was, but I still enjoyed it.

Zilge

Registered
Reaction score
Scarface.

Al pacino chewing some delicious scenery. :roll:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. A few senior citizens go to India for various reasons and stay in a rundown hotel that a young guy is trying to fix up. And the story plays out from there. It was pretty good. I enjoyed it.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. A few senior citizens go to India for various reasons and stay in a rundown hotel that a young guy is trying to fix up. And the story plays out from there. It was pretty good. I enjoyed it.
I enjoyed that one, too. Very much.

Just saw The Way, Way Back. I really like Toni Collette anyway and Steve Carell played an overbearing jerk surprisingly well. Sam Rockwell is excellent, as always. A coming-of-age story, entertaining, kind of sweet.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Fading Gigolo written, directed and starring John Turturro, with Woody Allen, Sharon Stone, and Vanessa Paridis. Just a nice little movie with no gun fights, no vampires, and no gratuitous sex, even given its premise: two financially deprived middle aged pals decide to go into the male prostitution business. Subtle and believable, not horrifying, not ugly or silly, I'd highly recommend. Standouts are Paradis who's very touching as a long standing widow in the Hassidic culture who hasn't been "touched" by a man in the literal sense for many years, and Allen who adds just the right touch of levity. Turturro, imo, is always good and great here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fading_Gigolo

ETA a Podcast interview by Turturro where he talks about the movie, and the great soundtrack featuring sax man Gene Ammons.

http://soundcheck.wnyc.org/story/john-turturro-on-fading-gigolo-jazz/

Last edited:

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I feel bad for Chloe-Grace Moretz. She's been in THREE shitty remakes of classic horror movies, which isn't her fault, but it's not an inspiring track record. Definitely talented, but needs better choices.

---

When you're right, you're right, and you're always right.

So on that note, I'm going to go watch Spaceballs again. LUDICROUS SPEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lady Chipmunk

Nut in Search of Rodents
Registered
Reaction score
I have never actually seen Spaceballs. When I met my husband there was a list of movies I'd missed he felt it necessary to have me see (Star Wars, Ghostbusters, The Princess Bride) and that was on it, but is the only one I never got around to watching.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Just finished watching Rushmore (again) by Wes Anderson and am now watching Moonrise Kingdom (again). Total coincidence, just flipping channels, I happened to run into one and then the other.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Caught Terry Gilliam's The Zero Theorem, which is probably his best movie. The last part of his dystopian trilogy (Brazil, 12 Monkeys). I liked it a lot.

Also, we were two of four in the theater on Saturday evening for Sin City: A Dame to Kill For. I liked it better than the first one. Micky Roarke had a ball this time around, and Eva Green was really excellent.

CWHs2

Registered
Reaction score
Saw The Purge:Anarchy this weekend and it was better than the first one. Still the same premise (which makes no sense whatsoever) but this time there were some good guys purging the bad guys purging the good guys, so there was some satisfaction there. And I actually liked the characters. Go figure.

Zilge

Registered
Reaction score
Taxi Driver. I had forgotten how much I like this movie.

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.
Good, but not near as good as the first. And a little too serious at times.

Zilge

Registered
Reaction score
I watched Captain America: The winter soldier. I must admit I totally enjoyed it, especially considering how average the first one was.

DaisyH

Registered
Reaction score
I watched Captain America: The winter soldier. I must admit I totally enjoyed it, especially considering how average the first one was.

That was the last movie I saw too! It's probably my favourite Marvel movie to date.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I watched Draft Day last night. I guess I'd recommend it, especially for NFL fans. I had the opportunity to read the script before it was sold. A friend of mine invests that way from time to time and sometimes sends me a script he's considering. More often than not, I tell him to take a pass; but not this time.

For me though, the realization just misses. The script, as I read it, had a lighthearted feel to it, not to be taken so seriously, but the film lays kind of heavy. And Kevin Costner, I don't know, is so restrained in this portrayal that you're always waiting for an emotional peak that never comes. Still, I think it was worth the time spent. Especially this time of year when a lot of us are thinking only one thing: C'monnn NFLLLLLLL