Is there a firest 200 words in the novel section

Status
Not open for further replies.

nealraisman

tenured at Mammon U
Registered
Reaction score
I noticed that the SY Fi section has a 200 word critique SYW section. Is there anything like that in the novel group? If not why don't we start one? The first three line critique is great but some novels need more than three lines to build the start. Some are not mysteries or thrillers with a hook to start so the 200 or 250 words would be a better way to see how they work, or not.

Last edited:

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
The three-lines critique thread exists on sufferance as it doesn't really belong in the novels thread. There's no reason not to start a 200 word section in the SYW section for the genre of your choice.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't really see any merit to having a 200-word submission critiqued in preference to the whole opening Chapter unless there is a specific issue one wants addressed beyond the very basic and largely meaningless - is it interesting enough to turn to page two?

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
If you're asking if anything like a 200-250word opening critique thread would be in the novel subforum, probably not--and there's probably been attempts. Past three sentences, you're starting to share work, and the SYW section is broken up into genres. Some have their own opening threads, some don't--the ones that do work are in more popular genres on the SYW section.

Find what genre of book you're writing, or around it, and try in that subforum. Honestly, I can't see a good use in having a general opening critique thread.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
The first-200-words thread in SFF SYW is pretty active, so presumably some people see value in it.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The reason longer works are in the SYW subforum is because it's password-protected. The Novels subforum is not.

As I told you before, check to see if there's a preexisting "Hook Me in 200 Words" thread in your genre. If there isn't, you can start one yourself - you have the requisite 50 posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.