A Life of Crime and Chocolate

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Okay, so this isn't writing related, but had to ask. Do you attend Halloween parties? I haven't been to one in a few years, but love it. I especially love wearing costumes or just throwing on some makeup and fake blood. This year, with the popularity of shows like The Walking Dead, I decided to just do my own makeup and costume. Here is a sneak peek:

SneakPeekWalkingDeadsmallest_zps891b7763.jpg

Last edited:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't but I would love to. I thought about seeing if the local bar / restaurant that I go to sometimes is doing anything for Halloween but (queue pity party) I actually don't have any friends in this city so it's always weird going to stuff on your own. I love Halloween though.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Not really writing or chocolate related, but I have a nice wee temporary new job! My usual job is typing up subtitles for TV and we also have a sideline in transcribing programmes and writing them up as post production scripts for various departments. Well, we've been approached by Content, who deal with basically any kind of shows besides news, sports and current affairs, to help with a Discovery channel documentary they've done on wildlife in Chernobyl. So I'm being 'loaned' to Content for the whole of next week to transcribe their rushes, the raw footage, and log all their clips. I get to sit at a different desk from usual! It's also really nice because my being sent to do the job has really cheesed off the nasty little guy who treats us all like dirt and reportedly thinks we don't like him 'because we're intimidated by him as he's come in and shown all the girls how to actually run things'. He's also been caught altering the work log, taking people's initials off finished jobs and putting his own on, so it looks like he did all the work. So we're waiting to see what happens with that. Hopefully they'll throw the book at him. Personally I'd love to see him sent to a gender awareness course or something like that because he would absolutely hate that!

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I second osg. The guy will get what's coming to him.

And congrats on the 'new' job. Enjoy. It sounds fascinating. :hooray:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I second osg. The guy will get what's coming to him.

And congrats on the 'new' job. Enjoy. It sounds fascinating. :hooray:

All the clips I've looked at so far, all I could think of as the presenters were going through the deserted town in Pripyat was 'what brilliant setting for a murder mystery'!

It's weird, it's just a different desk but I'm nervous.

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
All the clips I've looked at so far, all I could think of as the presenters were going through the deserted town in Pripyat was 'what brilliant setting for a murder mystery'!

It's weird, it's just a different desk but I'm nervous.

Have you see The Chernobyl Dairies? Not exactly a murder mystery, but several people die.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1991245/

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
No, not seen that, Ken.

Just thought you all should know, I'm currently making chocolate fudge cakes (got a new silicone mould thing with butterflies, ladybirds, dragonflies and bee shapes). Not sure how they'll turn out but I had fun eating what was left of the mixture in the bowl...

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds yum, Zelenka. Hope you're sharing...:D

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
GailD - LOVE cat in Pumpkin!

Thank you. :D My daughter made it as a gif but it bounces in and out of that pumpkin at such a speed it would make most people a little queasy. So I made it static. :D

Ahhh! Marmite. So? Do you like it, Zelenka? :)

...deserted town in Pripyat...

I meant to mention - if it lasts more than four hours they should consult a medical professional.

:banana:

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Either that or she's still throwing up. That stuff is vile.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
It is weird. I think if it was watered down a bit it might be OK but not to eat on its own. It tastes like stock concentrate.

GailD - They have radiation experts, paramedics, the whole works with them but to be honest, the main presenter is so thick you could probably nuke him for years before it had any effect. Seriously, nineteen takes for one sentence? Half the time he keeps saying he's in Fukushima instead of Chernobyl.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is weird. I think if it was watered down a bit it might be OK but not to eat on its own. It tastes like stock concentrate.

GailD - They have radiation experts, paramedics, the whole works with them but to be honest, the main presenter is so thick you could probably nuke him for years before it had any effect. Seriously, nineteen takes for one sentence? Half the time he keeps saying he's in Fukushima instead of Chernobyl.

Er.. okay. I can recall, back in the day when I was a film editor, having the floor literally knee-deep in off-takes. It must be nice to be able to do that digitally now. :)

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Marmite should be a banned substance. Really. It. Should.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Er.. okay. I can recall, back in the day when I was a film editor, having the floor literally knee-deep in off-takes. It must be nice to be able to do that digitally now. :)

Yeah but I'm working for the film editor, going through all this and transcribing everything, even the outtakes. Seriously, this is why I prefer live TV. One take. One chance. You do your broadcast, clear up and go home. I'd forgotten how frustrating pre-records are.

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
I laughed to an inappropriate degree at the Marmite discussion. I'd be willing to try it, but it doesn't seem particularly appealing. No offense to its fans.

Work has been nuts. The attorney we hired to replace the one who left in April lasted all of eight weeks. It was pretty clear she was waiting to hear back from another job. So another attorney and I have effectively been covering that position since April and the earliest we can reasonably expect to have someone new is January. I'm just glad I got my revised MS into the publishers who requested it because my lunch hours are toast for the conceivable future.

Zelenka - that sounds cool, but frustrating. And I hope that guy gets what's coming to him. We have a number of people in my office who are complete wastes of space at the best of times and offensive pigs the rest.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

19 takes!:Jaw:

I know who I'd murder in my next WIP.:evil

Marmite should be a banned substance. Really. It. Should.

Seconded.

Heathens, the lot of you.

:D

:tongue

I laughed to an inappropriate degree at the Marmite discussion. I'd be willing to try it, but it doesn't seem particularly appealing. No offense to its fans.

Work has been nuts. The attorney we hired to replace the one who left in April lasted all of eight weeks. It was pretty clear she was waiting to hear back from another job. So another attorney and I have effectively been covering that position since April and the earliest we can reasonably expect to have someone new is January. I'm just glad I got my revised MS into the publishers who requested it because my lunch hours are toast for the conceivable future.

Good luck with the MS, tarak - and with the long work hours.