The Eldritch Tomb of Unknowable Caffeine

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
*Fixes all the tacos and invites all the people*

We have to do flavorful but not spicy at my house because my middle child cannot tolerate spicy at all.

Taco's don't have to be spicey!

I think the last time I ate a taco was a year or two ago, and only because it was a gift. Normally, I don't like them.

I didn't either until hubs and I started making our own taco seasoning mix.

And Mexican doesn't necessarily have to be spicy. I for one despise spicy food, but I love Mexican. It just depends on how you make it. And if I go to a restaurant, I make sure that whatever I order is on the milder side.

I love spicey food, that said I can't stand most fast food versions of mexican food cause it all tastes like... yuck... that's the nicest I can be!

Anyway, I found that if we make the seasoning mixes ourselves I love mexican food. Have learned GOBS by watching Mexico One Plate at a Time, check it out if you get a chance.

ION this cold is going to be the death of me, it's supposed to be in the 90's here tomorrow and my brother has decided that they will be coming for a visit sometime this weekend. When I do not know because they won't tell me, but they are coming none the less.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Cantina. After yesterday's downpour and thunderstorm, it looks quite warm again out there.

I was just looking up details on the 2017 total eclipse of the Sun (as you do - the first to cross the continental US in quite a few years) and Paducah KY is one of the places in its path It's also in the path of the 2024 eclipse, so residents will have a rare opportunity to witness two total eclipses in their lifetime from the same place. Is that anywhere near you, Junely?

I have been in the Moon's shadow twice for a total of eight minutes (Cornwall, England, 1999; Hangzhou, China, 2009) and been clouded out both times. I'm determined to see an eclipse with my own eyes before I leave the planet. The 2017 isn't the next one to happen in the world, but it's the next one I have a feasible chance of getting to.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Paducah is about five hours west of me, about 370 miles. I could day trip it if I had the gas money. It would be my fourth eclipse; they're terrific!

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
I love food too, especially ethnic dishes. Mexican is one of my favorites, but I also love Greek, Lebanese and Chinese.

I'm so looking forward to trying new cuisines when we move. There's not a lot of affordable ethnic restaurants here. :(

There is also this. Yes, that's a thing. No, I don't know why.

How you know of this, and why you felt the need to share it, makes me concerned about you, sheep. Are you ok?

Spider-sheep, Spider-sheep, does whatever a spider-sheep baaaaaaaaa.

:roll:

I found out that one of my friends had never had satay chicken earlier this week. I don't know if I've just had a very broad palette growing up, or if I know some gastronomically ignorant people.

I don't think I've ever had satay chicken...:eek:

One thing that has surprised me is how our Chinese restaurants seem to be different from American ones.

Also, I would say, being gastronomically ignorant is not as hard as it seems. You need local places to go to, you need money to spend there, and you need an adventurous spirit to try new things which, IMO, needs to be trained for a lot of people. My youngest daughter, for example, hates being pressured into trying something new. She doesn't hate newness per se, just the whole "go on, try it" thing.

And I woke up this morning to some positive feedback on my wip. And it's Saturday. And I've had 3 bacon and egg muffins and a coffee and a pint of juice and everything is coming up Millhouse!

Awesomeness!

ION this cold is going to be the death of me, it's supposed to be in the 90's here tomorrow and my brother has decided that they will be coming for a visit sometime this weekend. When I do not know because they won't tell me, but they are coming none the less.

*hugses*

Hope you guys still have a good time. :Hug2:

ION, I am now child-free for almost a month. There shall be writing.

And sleeping. LOTS of sleeping.

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
*hugs the Cantina*

Saw this on Youtube and it made me all warm and fuzzy about how much I love my own geekness, and how much I love that we have this place to share in our love of all things geek. :heart:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Cantina. After yesterday's downpour and thunderstorm, it looks quite warm again out there.

I was just looking up details on the 2017 total eclipse of the Sun (as you do - the first to cross the continental US in quite a few years) and Paducah KY is one of the places in its path It's also in the path of the 2024 eclipse, so residents will have a rare opportunity to witness two total eclipses in their lifetime from the same place. Is that anywhere near you, Junely?

I have been in the Moon's shadow twice for a total of eight minutes (Cornwall, England, 1999; Hangzhou, China, 2009) and been clouded out both times. I'm determined to see an eclipse with my own eyes before I leave the planet. The 2017 isn't the next one to happen in the world, but it's the next one I have a feasible chance of getting to.

Paducah is not far at all from me. Like South. It's where our local national weather service station is.

But I live in the little corner of Indiana that is where Illinois, Indiana, and Kentucky meet.

Paducah is about five hours west of me, about 370 miles. I could day trip it if I had the gas money. It would be my fourth eclipse; they're terrific!

Hey that's not all that far from me either. 4 hours or so? I'd love to meet up with you all! It would be fun! :D
*starts planning*

*hugs the Cantina*

Saw this on Youtube and it made me all warm and fuzzy about how much I love my own geekness, and how much I love that we have this place to share in our love of all things geek. :heart:

yep love that vid.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Hey that's not all that far from me either. 4 hours or so? I'd love to meet up with you all! It would be fun! :D
*starts planning*

Here are the eclipse details: eclipse of 21 August 2017. Totality is around 18:25ish GMT, so subtract four to seven hours to get local time, depending on which time zone you'll be in.

If I can pull this off, would be great to meet some of you. And maybe we could come back again in 2024!

Last edited:

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Morning! T-24 hours before I get stuck with angry people returning things. Blargh.

So, four kittens then?

I want kittens. But old landlord and new landlord both don't allow 'em and I can't afford it anyway. :(

All the kittens! :tongue And that about sums up my puppy situation. My coworker's Morkie just had puppies and they're giving them away, and it has taken so. Much. Self. Control.

Really. What percentage chinks off? And at what range?

Ha! As if I'd give up the secret to my kryptonite that easily. Nice try, taco-loather. Nice try. :evil

There is also this. Yes, that's a thing. No, I don't know why.

This made me happier than it should have.

Spider-sheep, Spider-sheep, does whatever a spider-sheep baaaaaaaaa.

:ROFL:

Me neither.

Also, I would say, being gastronomically ignorant is not as hard as it seems. You need local places to go to, you need money to spend there, and you need an adventurous spirit to try new things which, IMO, needs to be trained for a lot of people. My youngest daughter, for example, hates being pressured into trying something new. She doesn't hate newness per se, just the whole "go on, try it" thing.

Pretty much this. I'm lacking 2/3rds of the equation, so while I've heard of a lot of things, there is no place or money to actually eat them. :(

May your pillows be unlumpy and your keyboard unlaggy.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Cantina! Beautiful day, so I'm going biking.

Me either. I've never even heard of it. Is it a curry dish?

Here are the eclipse details: eclipse of 21 August 2017. Totality is around 18:25ish GMT, so subtract four to seven hours to get local time, depending on which time zone you'll be in.

If I can pull this off, would be great to meet some of you. And maybe we could come back again in 2024!
I've never seen an eclipse, probably because every time there's an astrological event, it's cloudy here.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score

If you're making the trip, I think I can make it happen! Shadow, you come east, i'll go west, TJ come south, we'll meet Eye in the middle and buy him a mint julep!

ETA: I'll grab Stanley Ford, make him do the driving. He'd enjoy this, too.

Last edited:

Imriaylde

Registered
Reaction score
Spent the last hour talking music with Younger Daughter. Even after all these years, it's still always an odd conversation. We were listening to the new Home Free video, with two really strong basses (the Home Free bass, Tim, and Avi, from Pentatonix). She asks such odd questions. Like, "Why does it thump real fast like that?" (her first time noticing vibrato). Or "Why is it that, if they're both singing the same note, one feels strong, and the other one feels soft?" (vocal timbre)

While I know all the terms, and what's happening. But even after all these years, I have no real frame of reference for what she's experiencing. Which makes for a really strange (and enjoyable) conversation.

It's funny, I was having a very similar train of thought last night on my way home! I feel like the guys of Home Free all have a similar tone in their voices, it's clearer and placed more forward in the face, like barbershop or broadway, which is why they blend so well together. and I love Pentatonix. But Avi's voice is much darker and more choral-placed than Tim's, and so while they're both extremely talented and amazing bass singers, I honestly liked the version of "Ring of Fire" on the Sing Off better than the one on the album.

Now, I'm something of an acapella nerd, I sing in a barbershop chorus, so this is a subject I'll easily get spend hours on :). And I'm a bit obsessed with Home Free, bought tickets for a show two hours away the minute they were released, so I think about them a bit more than normal as well :).

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
It's funny, I was having a very similar train of thought last night on my way home! I feel like the guys of Home Free all have a similar tone in their voices, it's clearer and placed more forward in the face, like barbershop or broadway, which is why they blend so well together. and I love Pentatonix. But Avi's voice is much darker and more choral-placed than Tim's, and so while they're both extremely talented and amazing bass singers, I honestly liked the version of "Ring of Fire" on the Sing Off better than the one on the album.

Now, I'm something of an acapella nerd, I sing in a barbershop chorus, so this is a subject I'll easily get spend hours on :). And I'm a bit obsessed with Home Free, bought tickets for a show two hours away the minute they were released, so I think about them a bit more than normal as well :).

Agreed, times a thousand. That was part of what was causing problems last night. I think Tim has a sharp, aggressive timbre, and a truly magnificent range. Avi has less of a range (marginally), but a softer, almost velvety timbre that I actually prefer.

I had real difficulties explaining the difference to Younger Daughter when asked. She has decided her favorite is Austin in Home Free, cuz she can hear him very clearly, and she likes his energy.

BTW: Stanley Ford and his wife went to see Home Free in Cincinnati a few weeks ago. And THEY DIDN'T TAKE ME! Wah!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score

That would be pretty awesome. Plus I've never been to KY.

Very much this. I have days where I'm totally open to new things, and days where I really just want the familiar, be it food or music or whatever.

I am fortunate to have a very diverse international community around me who were kind enough to bring all their tasty foods with them. Honestly the main thing now that keeps me from being really adventurous is having developed a catastrophic food allergy to a common thing. I hate being a pain about it in restaurants, and I worry that someone not quite understanding what I'm asking about could, literally, kill me. :(

Yay for writing and sleeping and de-stressing! Come hang out on chat and write with me! :)

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
That would be pretty awesome. Plus I've never been to KY.

It's only three years away, but no harm in starting to think about it now. Given that the track of totality crosses the US from NW to SE, there are plenty of places for people to see the eclipse from, so hopefully less likelihood of transport chaos. (Memories of the 1999 Cornish eclipse: I almost couldn't get there, as trains and accomodation were almost sold out.)

I may not get to meet some of you until then, but I think some of you are going to Loncon?

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I was planning to go to WFC this year. But Mom's death and Hubbz's job woes sent those plans all cattywhumpus.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
It's only three years away, but no harm in starting to think about it now. Given that the track of totality crosses the US from NW to SE, there are plenty of places for people to see the eclipse from, so hopefully less likelihood of transport chaos. (Memories of the 1999 Cornish eclipse: I almost couldn't get there, as trains and accomodation were almost sold out.)

Looks like it'll be going right over where my brother- and sister-in-law live. May make a trip down there for a viewing.

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
Morning, Cantina. Pancakes?

:yessmiley

Easy.

I have a 10 year old.

We were discussing tacos.

:D

I have an 11 year old with whom tacos have been discussed. That... thing you shared has never came up. :tongue

Honestly the main thing now that keeps me from being really adventurous is having developed a catastrophic food allergy to a common thing. I hate being a pain about it in restaurants, and I worry that someone not quite understanding what I'm asking about could, literally, kill me. :(

Having grown up with my dad's severe egg allergy, I so know what you mean. :Hug2:

Yay for writing and sleeping and de-stressing! Come hang out on chat and write with me! :)

I will! For sure. :)

For now, today has been a glorious day of doing absolutely nothing. :D

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score

Hey, I was in Hangzhou in 2009! We got extremely lucky, with a gap opening in the otherwise monsoonal cloud cover at exactly the right moment. We may have been the only ones out of the 200 million or so in the path of that one who actually saw it.

And I'm three for three because of it (also saw South Australia in 2002, and Cairns in 2012). The gods of orbital mechanics must like me for some reason.

I might come over there for 2017, but was considering going somewhere a lot further west, like Wyoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.