• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Writer's block for synopsis...

Status
Not open for further replies.

authorMAF

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authormaf.com
I'm having such a difficult time with my synopsis (and still have been ignoring my query) that it's giving me writer's block :( I can't seem to condense 31 chapters into 1 - 3 pages even with just sticking to the main plot...I know it's never easy, I know I'm not the only one, but I've never been so stuck on something that its made it impossible to write my next few novels...

any ideas on how to get out of this kind of dead end?

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
One way I've done it in the past is to write a chapter-by-chapter synopsis first. Occasionally, a publisher will request one, so it's not a bad thing to have on hand. I think it's an easier place to start because you have the built-in structure of the chapters to help you get the basics down.

Cut and polish the chapter-by-chapter until it contains just the important stuff. Then work from that to write your short synopsis. It should be easier to pull out the most important points from your already-condensed version than it is from the whole novel.

Best of luck with it!

authorMAF

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authormaf.com
One way I've done it in the past is to write a chapter-by-chapter synopsis first. Occasionally, a publisher will request one, so it's not a bad thing to have on hand. I think it's an easier place to start because you have the built-in structure of the chapters to help you get the basics down.

Cut and polish the chapter-by-chapter until it contains just the important stuff. Then work from that to write your short synopsis. It should be easier to pull out the most important points from your already-condensed version than it is from the whole novel.

Best of luck with it!

that's really great advice! Thank you so much!!! :Hug2:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Nicola Morgan's book Write A Great Synopsis is really helpful. You might want to take a look at it.

(Disclaimer: Nicola is my friend, and so I am biased; but despite that bias it's still a great book.)

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Nicola Morgan's book Write A Great Synopsis is really helpful. You might want to take a look at it.

(Disclaimer: Nicola is my friend, and so I am biased; but despite that bias it's still a great book.)

Well, she's not my friend but I heartily endorse this book as well. In fact, I picked it up on Old Hack's recommendation so...you can trust her word on this, too.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I feel your pain. I loathe synopsis writing. I finally got a query together that arouses at least some interest in readers (thanks to the Query squirrels over on QLH), but now I have to go and actually describe the story without getting bogged down in all the side plots.

One thing to keep in mind is the why of the story's plot elements. It's easy to simply list the story's events in sequential order, but that's not what a synopsis is supposed to do. You need to include the motivations for your major characters and the actual reasons why things happen as they do. But it's easy to go overboard there too.

Last edited:

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
This sort of helped me write a synopsis: http://www.publishingcrawl.com/2012/04/17/how-to-write-a-1-page-synopsis/

The trick is focus on your main character and forget everyone else but the antagonist. Have a maximum of three names (the three most important characters in the story INCLUDING the MC), no matter how important anyone else might seem. Focus on what leads from point A to point B and then finally C.

Aim at a thousand words and then start hacking away at it when finished.

aspiringauthor123

Always swimming against the current
Registered
Reaction score
I struggle from the same problem. I have been able to regurgitate a synopsis but it is far from pretty. Still the whole idea was like scaling a huge mountain for me so I am happy I have been able to at lest get somewhere. I started with an outline then beefed each chapter up with complete sentences and important details, then I trimmed and cut it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.