Status
Not open for further replies.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
How would you like to play with a mailman? Or rather, the postal system at large?

:Soapbox:

I've shipped stuff all over the country (birthdays, Cmas, etc) for almost twenty years and this year, this year when I send my sister the afghan that took me eight months to crochet and, when spread out, covered my king-size bed, corner to corner, they lose it.

And of course, being the naive skwirrel who ignored the nervous feeling in her gut when she handed it over to the postal worker, I did not put a tracking number on it.

"Why?" I asked myself on the morning of 11/9. "You've never had a problem sending anything before. Everything has always, always, always gotten where it was supposed to be on time and in one piece. Stop being silly. You're just nervous because you've spent so much time and effort and yarn on the thing. Let it go."

So I did.

And it's gone.

:cry:

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
this year when I send my sister the afghan that took me eight months to crochet and, when spread out, covered my king-size bed, corner to corner, they lose it.

:e2bummed:

Anything the Postal Service says they can do, or is this a case of "no tracking number, no help"?

:(

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
I was told they're conducting an investigation, following the route it was supposed to take from the post office I mailed it from here in Oklahoma, to Chicago, then upstate New York, before arriving at the post office in Vermont.

Of course, this guy also told me that area was still experiencing delays from Sandy. He didn't realize there was a difference between upstate New York and the city.

:Shrug:

On a more hopeful note, I sent pics of it to my sister (she hadn't known what was in the box and had been rather lacadasical about the unknown whereabouts of her box). She's been on the phone with her post office off and on all afternoon trying to find it.

Dollars to donuts, she finds it before my postal guy figures out what I meant when I said the hurricane hadn't caused any damage in upstate New York.

I'm all but convinced it's gone.

My hubs is optimistic, citing the occasion an order of spices arrived via USPS two weeks after its replacement order arrived.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
Laurie...that's one of the worst stories of the postal system I've heard in a long time. If it's any consolation, they lost my dad's ashes after he died, and the burial had to be postponed for 3 days while they searched for him.

Oh wow...

Now that's something you'd think they'd have to sign for and things.

:Wha:

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
He was from the post office around the corner. When I first moved here and people asked where I was from, I can't tell you how many people thought Vermont was part of Canada. Since I travel the same circles now, no one asks me that any more, so I can't say if it still holds true. Considering this guy's comment though...

Last edited:

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
How would you like to play with a mailman? Or rather, the postal system at large?

:Soapbox:

I've shipped stuff all over the country (birthdays, Cmas, etc) for almost twenty years and this year, this year when I send my sister the afghan that took me eight months to crochet and, when spread out, covered my king-size bed, corner to corner, they lose it.

And of course, being the naive skwirrel who ignored the nervous feeling in her gut when she handed it over to the postal worker, I did not put a tracking number on it.

"Why?" I asked myself on the morning of 11/9. "You've never had a problem sending anything before. Everything has always, always, always gotten where it was supposed to be on time and in one piece. Stop being silly. You're just nervous because you've spent so much time and effort and yarn on the thing. Let it go."

So I did.

And it's gone.

:cry:

:(

:Hug2:

Aw, so sorry, Laurie! That's horrible. Sheesh, I hope they find it. I mean it has to be in a mail truck or warehouse somewhere, right?

Laurie...that's one of the worst stories of the postal system I've heard in a long time. If it's any consolation, they lost my dad's ashes after he died, and the burial had to be postponed for 3 days while they searched for him.

:Jaw:

yeah, he should've definitely had a tracking number. How do you lose something like that? Wouldn't that have been considered a Priority/Express/Important/Fragile/Keepyoureyeonit
package?

Someone should've gotten into serious trouble over that one. That's horrible, so sorry Ted. :Hug2:

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He was from the post office around the corner. When I first moved here and people asked where I was from, I can't tell you how many people thought Vermont was part of Canada.

Well, in their defense, having been to both Vermont and Canada, I can somewhat understand the confusion.

:D

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
I say eh.

eh. <----- see?

Just got back from doing laundry and eating dinner at my son's house. I'm reminded everytime I go over there what a house with kids sounds like...very loud. :D

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Krampus is looking particularly evil this year. Maybe he ran out of coffee. :Shrug:

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Night, you gotta say it at the end of sentences, eh. Haven't you ever watched Bob & Doug McKenzie?

Yeah, but I'm way cooler than they are. I say it at the beginning, in the middle, and sometimes in the beginning and the end of sentences. :cool:

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
Yeah, but done right, it's horrifying.

FIFY

Some of their cheese *is*.

Back during the heady days of margarine smuggling, we used to hear talk of folks wanting to try some of their cheese, but nobody wanted to run the blockade with that in their vehicles. I mean, margarine would get you in trouble, but you could bribe your way out of that. Get caught with Vermont cheese? You might as well pray for a marked grave.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
*listens*

yep, blissfully silent with only the low hum of the computer :D

And don't forget the ticking of the clock in the other room. If a floorboard creaks, that's just the house settling, nothing to worry about. And if you hear something like heavy breathing behind you, that's just the wind outside, nothing to be alarmed about.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
And don't forget the ticking of the clock in the other room. If a floorboard creaks, that's just the house settling, nothing to worry about. And if you hear something like heavy breathing behind you, that's just the wind outside, nothing to be alarmed about.

The only thing I fear is humans and it's too cold for even the crack heads to be out and about tonight. :D

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website

The only thing I fear is humans and it's too cold for even the crack heads to be out and about tonight. :D

Cold for you. For a person in a northern state, say Wisconsin, it would like a crisp fall or spring evening. I mean, I'm just here to help, you know.

At work, they have a new thing they say to me: Bad, Ted! Bad!

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
hmm...it's 26 here. And I don't think it's likely that any Wisconsinians, Wisconsinites, or whatever are in my neighborhood. Unless...

*goes to peek out the window in search any vans nearby*

Status
Not open for further replies.