Regency Era reearch question

The Book Elf

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thebookelfsnook.blogspot.com
I have a question I haven't been able to dig up an answer to. How far would would be an acceptable range to travel to an evening ball?
Example, would a two hour ride by carriage be considered too long for an evening out with out requiring lodgings somewhere?

If you were invited to a ball that was some distance away, would the host typically put up the guests that traveled a distance for the night?

Thank you!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

One of the reasons houses of that period amongst the well-to-do were so large is that they served as hotels for guests. I'd think 2 hours might be too long a drive, but that's a detail I can't answer.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Near neighbors would travel to and from the ball without staying the night. Balls were often scheduled for nights on or near the full moon for just that reason.

Friends from further away would be invited to spend the night, or a week, along with their personal servants, drivers, grooms, postillions, footmen, etc. Though some hosts only allowed valets and lady's maids and the rest had to stay in nearby lodgings.

Just what that distance was would be up to the traveller. These balls would go until early the next morning in some cases. If the guest was up for a two hour ride in a bumpy carriage to go home after, and did not want to spend the night, that would be up to the guest. I imagine the host would put the guest up for the night if requested.

A large travelling coach would go somewhere between 7 to 10 miles an hour (or more or less depending on the local roads and lanes and the condition of the horses). Two hours away isn't that far by today's standards.