Writers who can draw (or have other artistic talent)

Rhubix

New kid, critique harshly!
Registered
Reaction score
I make a living as an animator (classical 2D character animation and FX) I've animated my fair share of explosions :D
(link in signature has semi-regularly updated sketches)

I've always wanted to learn to knit or crochet, but I've too many time consuming hobbies already. Between drawing, reading, and writing I'd need a few extra days in the week.

I love to sing (to my fiance's dismay) but only in the car and shower.
I also have a bass collecting dust from my years in a teen punk band. needless to say I can't play very well.

I've written for fun all my life, but now that I'm established in my animation career I'm giving it a serious go.
I hope in a hand full of years to move writing to my success list.
I don't think the bass will get a revamp lol.

wheelwriter

Not a runner, running.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Waves at tiny and does secret potter handshake (really involves wiping clay-cover hands on jeans, then realizing hands are too dirty to shake). I make wheel-thrown functional stoneware for the most part, but play a little with raku.

I admire people who can draw, sew, and/or have musical talent. Creating something from nothing is cool.

Strychnine

Registered
Reaction score
I did art all through high school and toyed with the idea of taking it further, but I kind of hate that sort of art (as in proper, serious, means-a-lot gallery art) so I decided against it. I do pencil drawings mostly, and I'm best at people. Drawing my characters always seems to cement certain things in my head. I also sew a little in a haphazard sort of way...

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I enjoy drawing, but I'm not amazing at it. I have trouble making my hands do what I want them to. I also used to think my pictures were childish, but then people told me they looked like picture book art.... so now I can pretend I'm an aspiring children's book illustrator. ;)

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I draw. I like anime and manga and majored in Sequential art in college. I draw for a rubber stamp company but I don't really draw any more unless I have to. I feel like it takes time away from the writing. Of course the computer takes more time than either....

grandmastertuck

Slightly misanthropic troll
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.unearthlyglow.com
I draw (mostly computer-assisted, though the pencil-sketches are where everything starts), I play the drums in a rock-band, and I write. I also built a home-theater for my house, and an arcade-machine to play games on. I guess that makes me ADD...?

poppyseed

Registered
Reaction score
I want to learn how to draw so, so bad. I love art and I have always admired those who can do it. I'm thinking of signing up for classes next semester so I can learn.

I can dance pretty good though, and my voice is pleasant, but writing is where my heart is at.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I never thought of myself as an artist until I ran across the first edition of this book. I used the lessons in it to teach my two older kids (then five and three) to draw, and learned how to draw myself at the same time.

I do best with "flat" style drawings using markers. I'm in an art group at my church, and I'm going to be in an art show on May 1. I'm really not all that good, but I have fun drawing, and that's what's important. And like Polenth, I had to come to accept that my style of art wasn't childish, but simply different.

As for music, I've played viola since I was 11, and at 50 I'm mediocre (compared to my daughter, who will soon graduate with a B.Mus., and my son, who can learn any instrument in six months or less with no lessons), but I still enjoy playing in a local community orchestra. I was also (until lack of finances interfered) taking singing lessons, and I enjoyed those most of all.

A.V. Hollingshead

Vive la révolution littéraire!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ophiucha.tumblr.com
I like gardening and cooking, though I never have a place to do the former. I am pretty damn good at the latter, though, and I'm the sort who looks at a recipe once then tosses it and improvises based on the theme. Lots of cultural hybrids come from that. If I ever needed to get a job (as I am a housewife and aspiring novelist, right now), I am hoping to get something involved with the kitchen, even if it is just chopping onions for someone else.

Adobedragon

Registered
Reaction score
I've been drawing longer than I've been writing. Nowadays, my drawings get turned into metal yard art, because I like the durability of the media. But I still doodle on paper from time to time, and occasionally do watercolor.

LoopyLinde

Registered
Reaction score
I'm technically an artist that writes, rather than the other way around. At least, my degrees are in visual art, and that kind of thing has always come very easily for me.

Writing on the other hand, I do well, but have to work far harder at it. Can't seem to stop though, so I guess I'm doomed. In a good way.

Ryan

Registered
Reaction score
I can't draw at all, which depresses me a little because my two sisters are both artists. Maybe I just never tried hard enough, but I never seemed to share their talent for drawing.

If I could draw, I would probably be attempting to make graphic novels or comics in addition to writing short stories and novels.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote the lyrics to this. Okay, maybe I had something to do with the rest of it too.
I feel like a bit of a fraud here. I paint a lot (that's one of mine in my signature) -- in fact, do professional illustration. Also drawing, computer art, web design. And design and sew clothing. But I don't write.
You just wrote a post on a message board, but you don't write? Ahem. :)

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I've been making and exhibiting, sometimes even selling, collages, constructed sculptures, and artist books for a bit over 25 years now.

I've been writing that long, too, but only recently decided to try for publication.

I do bookbinding as well. I knit some. I have zero aptitude -- no, negative aptitude for music. Music self-destructs when I get near it. :( Oh, well, at least I can hear it.

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
I do a bit of vector art. Enough that I'm hoping to make some kind of webcomic at some point.
I can sketch stuff quite prettily if it's in front of me. I loves me some photography. And a bit o' sculpting.

But I don't love that arty stuff enough to really dig in and learn all I can about them.
Not like writing.

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't call myself a writer, or an artist, but I've painted a couple of pet portraits on commission.
Right now I'm working on a mural for the gym that my office owns.

Not sure I should be flattered that my boss think sweaty people would want to look at my work.

Underthelivingmoon

Closets are for clothes
Registered
Reaction score
I have to agree with several of the other posters. Usually creative people of any type are multi-faceted. Writing is my passion but I also love to paint and cook (sadly becoming a lost art for many people).

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Of course, I am pretty good at computer graphic design, but does that even count?

I say YES! That sure does count!

I can't draw... well, I don't like to anyway. But I love computer graphics. I'm always creating fun concept art for my story with Poser, then I take said pictures in Photoshop to play with.
I am also learning how to model in 3dMax.

AinSoph

lost in lit land
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephaniealicerogers.com
Very cool to see so many multi-talented folks in here, and I peeked at some of your links (muravyets! gorgeous!). I have always had trouble deciding between writing and art as my main focus but for me, right now, writing is taking precedence. I still paint and sculpt, though, and visual arts have been creeping back into my life in a bigger way lately.