Writers who can draw (or have other artistic talent)

Maramoser

much writing. very books
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marafitzgerald.blogspot.com
I'm taking my first ever drawing class this semester and I'm really excited. It's an intro class but we get to do some life drawing towards the end! Hopefully I'll have something to show for it soon.

DoomBunny

Meatbag
Registered
Reaction score
If you've got a good teacher who makes the most of the model's time, life drawing is amazing. I found it physically exhausting but I learned so much from it.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
I was a newspaper cartoonist in the 1970s until my humor became too politically incorrect, at which point I was a former newspaper cartoonist. I illustrated one of my computer programming books.

I used to sculpt in wood and clay until I realized there was no money in it.

I am a musician. No money in that either.

I cannot cook, the most important art of them all. Which is why I remarried my ex-wife--well, one of the reasons.

Reaction score
Amateur artist here. I like to draw on paper, scan the drawing in, and color it with GIMP. My stuff can be viewed at my DA page. One example of my work:

kasaqa__kentake_of_kush_by_jabrosky-d4ndbt4.jpg

Kasaqa, a proud and compassionate Nubian warrior queen who must retake her throne from her younger sister

Omnigon

The Book of All
Registered
Reaction score
I was drawing before I was writing, and studied art before I studied writing. I love doing both, but my problem is I can't devote 100% to developing and polishing both, so my art has taken a back seat these days. Arggh, anyone else have this issue?

I started a Deviant Art account years ago; its been more or less neglected for some time while I've been struggling to finish my novel/series. But I absolutely loved doing this kind of stuff once.

Alas, my poor art has been left sort of dangling, still waiting to develop and go somewhere. :)

My DA: http://omnigon.deviantart.com

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I was drawing before I was writing, and studied art before I studied writing. I love doing both, but my problem is I can't devote 100% to developing and polishing both, so my art has taken a back seat these days. Arggh, anyone else have this issue?

I started a Deviant Art account years ago; its been more or less neglected for some time while I've been struggling to finish my novel/series. But I absolutely loved doing this kind of stuff once.

Alas, my poor art has been left sort of dangling, still waiting to develop and go somewhere. :)

My DA: http://omnigon.deviantart.com

I most certainly do. I don't draw much because it takes a lot of time to draw something that looks great. And writing takes a lot of time to create a story that reads well. Both are time consuming, so nowadays writing takes up my hobby time. In the past it was always the other way around. I have a DA account too, but haven't added anything to it for a few months.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I introduced myself before, but I wanted to say hi to the new folks on the thread. I'm kind of a ringer here -- I'm a professional artist, and not actually a writer.

I do like looking at your arts and avvies.

Nissie

not a beer
Registered
Reaction score
I know how to sketch and paint on occasion, but I think I'm unusual in that I crochet, and do it a lot.

plants_versus_zombies_dolls_by_nissie-d3jskon.jpg

Got a deviantart account for it, too!

AKyber36

Registered
Reaction score
I was an artist before I was kindly taught and guided into writing by some great language arts teachers. So for me, drawing out characters, environments, and creating all sorts of minute details contributes largely to how the written stories pan out.

My Deviantart gallery, if anyone's interested: http://rinoadestiny.deviantart.com/gallery/

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I know how to sketch and paint on occasion, but I think I'm unusual in that I crochet, and do it a lot.

plants_versus_zombies_dolls_by_nissie-d3jskon.jpg

Got a deviantart account for it, too!

Fabulous! You should start an etsy store. You could totally sell those there too.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Draw, paint, scrapbook, decorate, garden, cook...pretty much anything creative. I've told friends that if you stand still long enough, I'll paint you. :D

I love going to someplace like Value Village, buying a dresser or a chest for $20, and turning it into a work of art. It's kind of my thing, when I'm not writing.

Wish I could sew or crochet or something, but I don't have the patience for it.

There for a while, I was REALLY into scrapbooking. But not the cheesy, candy-colored stuff. Mine are scrapbooks that go with my genealogy book I'm writing. I use duller, old-fashioned colors, with real historical content and photos. I needed something to do with all the historical photos I was getting, so when I go meet cousins, I take the books with me. I call them my "advertising tools," so cousins can see how we're related. Then they get excited about contributing their own information.

C. R. Reaves

Hogging the Nutella.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
klawzie.tumblr.com
I learned to draw completely to support my writing. Or, rather, greed. xD; I saw in the fanfiction communities, fan characters would get more artwork drawn of them if the author had artwork of the characters somewhere. So I took my vague interest at art at 17 and practiced in the hopes of attracting artists to my works.

For a few years, art is what I concentrated on, but not so much lately. Tried to decide what sort of art to display to capture my works and couldn't decide so - thumbnails for two! My more comic-y style and a cutesier style. In any case, I love costumes.

Besides writing and arting, I sometimes make things out of clay. I have the supplies to turn my artwork into resin jewelry, but I haven't played with that yet. I used to be into dance/flag team and aikido, though I'm not sure if you'd count aikido as a "creative" thing or not. xD;

Snowball2695

Registered
Reaction score
I used to find myself drawing random things that had nothing to due with my writing (like doodles on my algebra 2 notes), but now I find myself relying on my drawing for not only inspiration but as a creative outlet in itself. I can't even begin to fathom how many hours I've spent sketching out concept pages for things like manga, it's unreal.

Too bad my drawing sucks.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I'm working on a scene from my WIP right now, it's nearly done (the drawing), taking a break from writing for a few days. Also, the picture wouldn't leave me alone until I got it on paper. When it's done I'll post it on DeviantArt, and maybe here too. Or just post a link to DA to the drawing.

Bogna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bemaslanka.wordpress.com
I drew this for a good friend who is possibly about to go through a divorce. He works in a lab that is in charge of preforming autopsies on the whales that wash up on our beaches.

124jv2x.jpg

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, you guys' drawings are awesome!

I liked drawing when I was little because although I couldn't master writing (I wrote my name backwards for ages - being left handed, I had issues with things like that ;) ), mainly rather square-nosed horses. I've mainly drawn horses, all my life, and now I draw people - I'm doing A2 (senior year) Art, and we have so much coursework it's UNREAL. I haven't got any pictures of my recent scribblings, I can only find a meh one I did when I was 15 (I'm 18 now) before I'd learn what I know now about portraiture:
100_1392-2.jpg

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
If you've got a good teacher who makes the most of the model's time, life drawing is amazing. I found it physically exhausting but I learned so much from it.

Life drawing is amazing, but we all had our hopes a little too high when we first did it in class. We were hoping for a hottie and got an old man with a beer belly, who liked to have frequent breaks to walk round the class, buck naked, commenting on our work and saying we'd drawn him too fat. We didn't know where to look!

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Life drawing is amazing, but we all had our hopes a little too high when we first did it in class. We were hoping for a hottie and got an old man with a beer belly, who liked to have frequent breaks to walk round the class, buck naked, commenting on our work and saying we'd drawn him too fat. We didn't know where to look!

Oh my, that is too funny! The closest thing to life drawing I've done in school is that of one of the students sitting on a stool and we had to draw them within a short time frame, like five minutes, or something. I draw slowly, like my writing. I wanted to do comics when I was a teen, but because of my speed (which I guess I could have practiced on more) I don't think that would have worked out. You say you drew that picture when you were fifteen, that's better than I could do at that age. I was more into drawing animals than people at that time which I was quite good at. I started getting into drawing people when I became interested in comics.

After high school I hadn't drawn or painted much for years, a drawing here or there has become my norm now. This past September I drew a portrait of my current boyfriend, and yesterday I dug out an old portrait of my ex I drew about seven or eight years ago and couldn't believe the difference, and I hadn't even practiced drawing faces much at all between the two portraits! I don't know how I improved so much without the practice, but I had. It boggles my mind.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Life drawing is great! You kind of have to get used to it.

In art school we drew so many different people, of different ages and body types. I originally worked very slowly, but some of the models took a new pose every minute and some teachers wanted faster work. I learned to do a quick sketch and then refine it and refine it again, so that no matter when the pose ended I had some simulacrum of a drawing.

We were lucky. If our models came around to look at our work, they wore bathrobes.