The Kidlit Gang's Support and Accountability Thread

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, guys! The entries window is now closed. That means I now have to wait until the 12th to find out if I made the cut - THE 12TH, PEOPLE!!

I also entered PitchMas' twitter pitch party today. You still can! Just tweet your pitches to #PitchMas! I've already received a request for 30 pages from the awesome Brooks Sherman.

Dave

Awesome job Dave! I'm impressed that you have the stamina for two competitions in one week! Keeping my fingers firmly crossed for you. :)

I'm doing a small bounce about pitchwars after a request for more chapters yesterday. Actually, it's a huge bounce for the vote of confidence in my writing, but a small one when I think of how many awesome manuscripts they have received. I've learned a ton just from surfing the judges, the blogs, articles, advice etc. But I want more!

It's not about 'winning' - that's not the prize. But I want more of someone that good to help me get this manuscript and query into the best shape it could be. I want to talk to these people, pick their brains, and learn more from them........

Oh, the 12th is such a looooong way off......

starbeam

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like a really good competition. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, DavidBrett and Britwriter. Congrats to you both for the interest in your novels. :)

I also have reason for a bounce, albeit a very small bounce. I've written 2500 words in the last three days. Not much, but at least it's something. It's sometimes not easy to write when life's stresses and worries keep piling on, but I'll plow through nonetheless. Determination is key.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Keep writing, Starbeam. I always find that writing helps with those other stresses too - double win.

2500 words is a lot. Good for you!

CelesteBC

Registered
Reaction score
I have never heard of these competitions before. So much to learn about around here! I will keep my fingers crossed for those of you participating.

I've been able to keep myself to my free writing goal the past few days, so I am happy about that.

I think my goal for the weekend will be drafting a cover letter to go with my picture book manuscript.

And I am half way to my post quota so pretty soon I can start getting some feedback from all you wonderful people!

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Thanks guys - sent the 30 pages to Brooks today, doing with the first 2 chapters to the hilarious Juliet Mushens. It's the first time I've sent EF off to agents, and needless to say my heart is racing.

Dave

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Britwriter. I'm crossing my toes, shaking my rabbit's foot (the rabbit does not appreciate that), and sending all my good thoughts to you and Dave!

I can't wait until I actually have an MS I can start entering in contests and a query and first page that blog people can rip apart!

2500 words is a mighty fine job, Starbeam. Keep trucking!

My progress has been halted. (Right now, I'd settle for just getting the apartment complex to send us the lease! We are being very thwarted in our attempt to move in and give them money for some reason.)

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys - sent the 30 pages to Brooks today, doing with the first 2 chapters to the hilarious Juliet Mushens. It's the first time I've sent EF off to agents, and needless to say my heart is racing.

Dave

Fingers and toes are crossed for you, Dave!

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score

Dave
I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you, too. And there's a glass of baileys waiting for you on the bar.

DavidBrett

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Update, people...

I GOT PICKED! I GOT PICKED!
WOOOOOOOOOO*gasp*OOOOOOoooo...!

For those of you wondering what
I'm raving about, I entered a
twitter contest called PitchWars.
The writing mentors' picks were
revealed today and, out of 2000+
entries, "ENIGMA FILES: PHANTOM
THIEF" got picked by one of the 5
MG mentors - that's a 1.57%
chance, apparently!

I'm still buzzing from the huge
news! Not only did Jennifer Malone
pick my book, but she's stated that
it came as a complete shock to her
- it's not a book she thought she'd
ever be interested in. News that
bodes well going into the second
stage of the contest, where she'll
read the book and offer intensive
critique in time for the last round,
where 15+ agents can read and
make requests on the MS.

2013 is going to be a BIG year!

Dave

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
OMG Dave, I just saw. FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I came in second place as alternate pick- to you!!!!!

Man, great day for us, and many, many congratulations...........

(So, I take it that you're not dropping out?!!!)

I was so excited to see your name on there. Amazing! Everyone's fingers and toes crossing here did a great job! And, our fabulous writing, of course. :) :) :)

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome job, guys! So happy for you. How exciting!!

:banana::partyguy::Jump::Clap::Jump::Trophy::Jump::PartySmil:e2cheer::banana:

DavidBrett

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks Sheila - Your critique feedback helped majorly in prepping the second draft in time for the contest. I've addressed the credibility issue by adding Sergeant Hammond, the school's liaison officer, whose summoned by the Head lickety-split.

In fact, here's a bonus line from the new scene:

The policeman's brow furrowed. "You trying to be funny, son?"

"No, Sir. Not trying."

:D

Britwriter - congrats are also in order for you, then! But now I feel kinda bad about beating a fellow AW'er to the top spot :S Hope that doesn't come between us...

I won't be backing out unless I get a solid offer of representation before the contest is over. Sorry, but thanks for the kind words!

Heza, thanks for the party smileys!

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Britwriter - congrats are also in order for you, then! But now I feel kinda bad about beating a fellow AW'er to the top spot :S Hope that doesn't come between us...

I won't be backing out unless I get a solid offer of representation before the contest is over. Sorry, but thanks for the kind words!

I couldn't be happier about who pipped me to the post! Although, when I opened my emails (did that first) and read that if someone drops out, I'll be stepping in, I was suddenly very nervous - until I looked at the lists and saw who that person was! I knew you were there for the entire ride. :)

I shall be following your progress closely as I now focus on getting my queries on DORKBOY out. :)

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Britwriter, huge congrats to you, too!!! I got so excited when i saw David's news, I forgot to keep reading! :partyguy:

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
1700 words this weekend! Finally back on track, after several useless months. Woohoo!

DavidBrett

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Mentor finished the MS and made a huge contribution in the form of comments, suggestions and feedback... One of which is so huge I'm starting a new thread to get everyone's opinion.

Excited about the future,

Dave

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Good for you Judy!

Dave, I answered you on the other thread. :)

I had a very productive and positive email exchange with my pitchwars 'alternate pick' judge. Very cool. I asked her my five or six burning questions, and it was a great help.

No really major work needed, the biggest thing was that I changed the name of my MC's annoying brother, and Flea won. :) I really like it, and he already feels like a Flea.

So, I'm just about there. Just need a new name for the Flea's goldfish. He has two. He names everything after commercials, esp commercials with jingles. One fish is Stanley Steemer. I need to change the other. At the moment I'm leaning toward Betty Crocker, but my kids looked at me blankly and said, "Who's she?"

Any bright ideas for weird commercial names for goldfish would be very much appreciated. Or, opinions on Betty Crocker. Are my kids unusual not to have heard of her?

Once the fishy has a new name, I'm ready to query. Ha, a week before Christmas. But, at least I can get the queries organized ready to send out in the new year. :)

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Betty Crocker is funny, and I think it's pretty recognizable (no offense to your kids). As soon as I read "Stanley Steemer," that annoying jingle popped up in my brain. Ha! The only thing I could come up with is Hostess Twinkie. It sounds fun, and you would be paying homage to a now lost goodie.

I'm have plotted out a beginning and an end of a story. Struggling now with how to connect the two without being boring. I know the steps that have to take place (character arc, plot points, etc), but when I start writing, it just seems a little blah.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
How about Chef Boyardee? Or FAO Schwarz? (Do they have commercials?) Or LL Bean? Or the two fish could be named Abercrombie & Fish. (We used to have fish named Lo & Behold.) Or Ben & Jerry? Famous Amos? Mrs. Fields? Little Debbie? Dr. Pepper? Oscar Meyer?

Well, my goal of a draft by Christmas is definitely not happening. When I made that goal, I did not factor in all the Christmas things that would need to happen before Christmas. :) So, new goal: draft by end of January.

Hang in there with the plotting, Sheila! Is this the spec fic you had on WriteOnCon?

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Betty Crocker is funny, and I think it's pretty recognizable (no offense to your kids). As soon as I read "Stanley Steemer," that annoying jingle popped up in my brain. Ha! The only thing I could come up with is Hostess Twinkie. It sounds fun, and you would be paying homage to a now lost goodie.

I'm have plotted out a beginning and an end of a story. Struggling now with how to connect the two without being boring. I know the steps that have to take place (character arc, plot points, etc), but when I start writing, it just seems a little blah.

I'm glad others like Betty Crocker. I think I'm going to ignore my kids, just this once. Should've brought them up using more cake mixes. :)

Fish #2 has to remain Stanley Steemer as it's important to the plot, along with the jingle. I think Betty Crocker kind of goes with Stanley. In a very odd way. My friend keeps saying Chef Boyardee too, but those commercials turn my stomach, the food looks so gross. I don't think I could keep reading Chef Boyardee whenever I edit! But maybe it's funnier........

Thanks!

Joy, I know what you mean about the holidays taking over. Hope you can snatch some time to write in between the festivities!