The Kidlit Gang's Support and Accountability Thread

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Wow. That's like a one in a million shot. I guess it really does pay off to network with people.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get organized with this?

It does, Daniela, and it's worth noting that I don't have any connections - I met that client through Query Tracker. I wasn't thinking she could help me get to this agent or anything - I just noticed that she had a background as a playwright, as I do, and that she had traveled extensively in Latin America, as I have. So I wrote her just to make friends. And we did, and it ended up being beneficial.

As for getting organized with agent research, I don't use Query Tracker the way some people do - I just look things up there and occasionally read "How I Got My Agent" interviews. But some people love it.

For myself, I started out by looking up the agents of the authors I loved. And as I researched, I just kept Word documents with lists of agents I liked and their submission requirements. And then once I start querying, I just keep a Word document that tracks what I send to whom and when. (Some more organized people may use a spreadsheet, I suppose.)

I find the information at Literary Rambles hugely helpful - they're not interviews, but agent profiles and compilations of interviews and information from around the web on each agent - and I like that they have a specific list of agents who rep middle grade.

It's here: http://www.literaryrambles.com/

I also like the agent interviews at the blog Mother. Write. Repeat. They may not be exclusively kid-lit oriented, but the majority of them rep middle grade.

So yeah, it's mostly lots of sorting through lists and reading blog interviews and websites, and then keeping lists of agents who might be a good fit for your work! I'm a research fiend, so I think it's kind of fun.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
It does, Daniela, and it's worth noting that I don't have any connections - I met that client through Query Tracker. I wasn't thinking she could help me get to this agent or anything - I just noticed that she had a background as a playwright, as I do, and that she had traveled extensively in Latin America, as I have. So I wrote her just to make friends. And we did, and it ended up being beneficial.

As for getting organized with agent research, I don't use Query Tracker the way some people do - I just look things up there and occasionally read "How I Got My Agent" interviews. But some people love it.

For myself, I started out by looking up the agents of the authors I loved. And as I researched, I just kept Word documents with lists of agents I liked and their submission requirements. And then once I start querying, I just keep a Word document that tracks what I send to whom and when. (Some more organized people may use a spreadsheet, I suppose.)

I find the information at Literary Rambles hugely helpful - they're not interviews, but agent profiles and compilations of interviews and information from around the web on each agent - and I like that they have a specific list of agents who rep middle grade.

I also like the agent interviews at the blog Mother. Write. Repeat. They may not be exclusively kid-lit oriented, but the majority of them rep middle grade.

So yeah, it's mostly lots of sorting through lists and reading blog interviews and websites, and then keeping lists of agents who might be a good fit for your work! I'm a research fiend, so I think it's kind of fun.

Thank you so much for that info. Literary Rambles immediately has the sidebar links highlighting MG Agents. This has been extremely helpful!

I got over the shock of it all and opened up an excel spreadsheet contact template and took it from there. I've spent hours researching. HOURS. I have a mere 24 agents, 3 of which I really want in on. So this is starting to get narrower and narrower.

Before your suggestion of the "pick your favorite book" method, I had considered it. But I'm kind of confused. For example, Kate Dicamillo. She's the only author who has ever made me cry. :( Anyway, I searched for her agent and I got two hits. Needless to say, I freaked out at the idea of sounding stupid if I mention loving her books and it turns out that one or the other ISN'T here agent. Yikes. I'd feel humiliated!

I'll try again. That seems like the easiest way anyhow. The only question that remains is whether or not to email your first picks, or save them for last. Ugh. This adds an extra fiery pit to query letter hell. :(

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
T
The only question that remains is whether or not to email your first picks, or save them for last. Ugh. This adds an extra fiery pit to query letter hell. :(

That is the question, isn't it? Don't save them for last. Some people do like to send out a few queries to see how the query does before trying it on their absolute favorites, though.

DiCamillo is rep'd by Pippin Properties. :) (They're also CRAZY selective.)

CelesteBC

Registered
Reaction score

Thanks for all the info and resources Joy! I am still new to all of this--I've been writing forever, but only recently started to think of getting published as something I might actually be able to do. I am really glad I found this community!

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
That is the question, isn't it? Don't save them for last. Some people do like to send out a few queries to see how the query does before trying it on their absolute favorites, though.

DiCamillo is rep'd by Pippin Properties. :) (They're also CRAZY selective.)

What agent isn't crazy selective? LOL. Thanks so much for that info. I suppose I can save my fave agencies like say, a second batch of queries. Like send out 5-7 queries out first, then afterwards, send another 5 batches and include my top picks. That way if I get rejects (which hopefully beta reaction has made my skin impregnable by now), I have time to figure stuff out.

Thanks for all the info and resources Joy! I am still new to all of this--I've been writing forever, but only recently started to think of getting published as something I might actually be able to do. I am really glad I found this community!

Stick around Celeste. I would have been lost if it weren't for some very special people on this board. :)

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
What if you get an offer of rep from your first batch?

Sorry, Daniela, just messing with your head. Seriously, though, why not mix it up? Send each batch to one or two of your top picks along with some others you think you'd be happy with. Not sure about the whole concept of "dream agent" anyway. There could be a dynamite agent who keeps a lower profile online in terms of blogging, facebook, and twitter, but who would be perfect for you. Because they're focusing on selling their clients' work, and not on everything and everyone else! And yet, you would not feel that personal connection with them, because you don't know as much about them. Just my 2 cents.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
What if you get an offer of rep from your first batch?

Sorry, Daniela, just messing with your head. Seriously, though, why not mix it up? Send each batch to one or two of your top picks along with some others you think you'd be happy with. Not sure about the whole concept of "dream agent" anyway. There could be a dynamite agent who keeps a lower profile online in terms of blogging, facebook, and twitter, but who would be perfect for you. Because they're focusing on selling their clients' work, and not on everything and everyone else! And yet, you would not feel that personal connection with them, because you don't know as much about them. Just my 2 cents.

LOL. That first question made me cringe. Even then, it's a one-in-a-million chance that'd happen and from life experience, I'm in the unlucky side of the million.

I don't know if it's just that I've alway been disappointed by every aspect of my life, i.e. parents, career, friends, etc., that I often think realistically and take criticism as an opportunity to improve. I also set my expectations pretty low so that if I'm let down, it won't sting so much. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. :eek:

In all honesty, I'm the sort of writer who LOVES to write and create stories with colorful characters. I suppose it's an escape from my hard-knock life. If I don't get published, it isn't the end of the world. I'm not looking to make money (I'd be in the wrong line of business if I were), therefore don't mind if I don't get published... but that doesn't mean I won't try my hardest!

Besides, I have another super exciting ms I'm working on that will blow the last out of the water! :box:

Thanks Ruth. That recommendation actually sounds pretty reasonable. :)

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
What agent isn't crazy selective? LOL.

Well, yeah, they all are. But in my years of querying and researching agents and monitoring people's query success, requests from Pippin are extremely rare and I've never seen someone get an offer.

Whereas there are some agents who just request more often, or who are building their lists and do sign more often.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Well, yeah, they all are. But in my years of querying and researching agents and monitoring people's query success, requests from Pippin are extremely rare and I've never seen someone get an offer.

Whereas there are some agents who just request more often, or who are building their lists and do sign more often.

What a coincidence. After reviewing Literary Rambles, I skimmed through Mother.Right.Repeat and came across an interview with Holly McGhee of Pippin. LOL.

I'm not totally sure my ms would fit in with Pippin anyway. After looking through their selection, I noticed they tend to lean more toward chapter books and picture books and then your occasional MG. Oh well.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I think with your first batch it's worth checking out some stats on the agents you're sending to, eg on querytracker. If you only send to agents who are non-responders and very rarely request, it's difficult to assess how well you're doing. Better to send out to ones who more often request material and track your progress with requests, than to only shoot for the near-impossible in the first place. (Unless, of course, one of those agents seems perfect for your manuscript, in which case, I'd go for it!)

I agree about the dream agent - the agent who falls in love with your book so much that they want to read it over and over as they work with you is by definition a dream agent for you. But it might not necessarily be who you think it will be from your first research. ;) You can only find that person by querying, and it might not end up being the agent you first thought was your 'dream' one!

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yesterday I got 2500 words done on the WIP (as well as 2000 words of work-for-hire, which I don't usually count, but man, that was a lot of middle grade fiction in one day!). I may not get as many done today, but we'll see. I'm about to start.

My call with The Agent is scheduled for Monday afternoon. I wish it were here already, but I'm kind of surprised how zen I feel about it. I think I'm just so glad to know it's finally going to happen, and would be even if I had to wait even longer.

CelesteBC

Registered
Reaction score
Productive day Joy! I'll have my fingers crossed for you for the agent call.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Joy! Hope the word count goes well today, too!

I wrote 150 words yesterday. Awesome, I know. So I got this tablet, which is great. I can write little snippets or scenes or whatever anywhere I happen to be... and that's really helped my productivity. But now I need to map out all these scenes (I'm a pantser), and see what else I need and cut stuff and add stuff and reformat (the tablet strips out all my formatting).

But my computer at home is hidden behind all the moving boxes we haven't unpacked yet. And instead of unpacking them, we just keep piling more stuff up in that room.

This weekend, the goal is to get that freaking room unpacked and cleaned up so I can actually work in there!

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Hurray for both Joy and Hez!

I'm 4K into my new MG and then I accidently opened my ideas folder and found yet another story I want to write. Ugh. I don't have time to write either of them. I have midterms and stuff coming up and I hate my job so much and a freaking minivan plowed threw my balcony last night nearly killing my mom and the stupid autocorrect is telling my that I spelled "accidently" wrong when it's totally right!

I want to quit my job so bad and move to NC where my brother's enjoying his life. Sorry if I rant. I'm so angry right now. I work with this one girl who completely contradicts every opinion that I have and I want to punch her square between her stupid idiot eyes.

:gaah: Hating life right now so bad! :(

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Agh, sounds rough, Daniela!

It's great that you have so many stories to write. A lot of people worry that they'll never come up with another idea! Just work away, a little at a time, and it will work out. Often you think one book is 'the' one, then another turns out to be right for an agent or publisher first. There are things you cannot control, and you learn from writing, so just write whatever interests you most, and don't be afraid to switch back and forth.

I work on fiction and non fiction picture books through middle grade and now young adult. Often something sparks and I work on something for a while, then switch back. Or, a deadline comes up so I have to focus on one project. But each book teaches you something and what you learn from one, you can transfer to another later.

Publishing is also a very long, drawn out affair, so if you don't have a lot of time at one point of your life, you can pick up later. Just use what time you have.

Speaking of which, I have a morning to write, so I should be getting back to it!

Today, I'm excited to be working again on Isaac Newton and the Pink Tutu, which I got back from my first beta yesterday (yay Summer!) She was so spot on, and I can see what I need to do. I'm loving this book, it's so much fun to write. :)

summerb

Registered
Reaction score
Today, I'm excited to be working again on Isaac Newton and the Pink Tutu, which I got back from my first beta yesterday (yay Summer!) She was so spot on, and I can see what I need to do. I'm loving this book, it's so much fun to write. :)

If I could whip-crack, I totally would, just because I am so excited for this project!

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hey, you guys, I had The Call today with Uber-Awesome Agent. It was not an offer yet, but it looks good. She had read two of my manuscripts and said some just truly amazing things about them. One of them needs a seriously minor revision and then she thinks it's ready to go out. The other one she had some more substantive thoughts on, and they really excited me. They went directly contrary to some feedback I have gotten repeatedly from readers but ignored because I knew it wasn't right. So it felt like she really got what I was trying to do and had ideas for ways to strengthen that. So she wants to see the really simple revision and some notes and plans for the more substantive revision and it sounds like that's when the offer will (hopefully) come.

This querying thing is a long haul, folks. I originally queried her with the first manuscript eleven months ago. Hang in there!

So I will now set aside my WIP which is SO CLOSE to a first draft and refocus on these older WIPs.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Joy! It is a great feeling when you finally talk to an agent who "gets" your work. Fingers crossed for an offer! :)

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Nicola for the support! Oh, and I love when books are fun to write. I couldn't imagine it any other way.

Hurray Joy!!!!! It's so close, even I can taste it! :yessmiley

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
:snoopy: Yay Joy!!!! Which one does she want to submit first, and is it the one that made the long list for the Chicken House contest?

So happy for you!

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks so much everyone!!

Sheila, FRAMED, the one you read and the finalist for the Chicken house competition, is the one she thinks is just about there. The only thing she wants me to do is make sure there are lists at the beginning of every chapter (that will only make sense to Sheila - sorry). She didn't say for sure that she'd sub it first, but she said other than that detail it's ready. So I assume it will go out first. My quieter contemporary (which she totally gets!!) will need a couple months of revisions first.

We didn't even discuss agent-author relationship stuff, or how submissions would work. It was all about the manuscripts.