Writing as a Career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
This is not really true. There are people making a living writing for publishers who are not Big Five, but these writers are extremely prolific.

... agreed. There's one writer in particular on AW. Well known here. Writes erotica. Very prolific. Writes books in minutes. Seriously. Have always been in awe. Am sure they're doing quite well for themselves. They said as much once. Several different approaches to making a career out of writing. Gotta try for the one that suits one best. Not a one-size fits all as with most things.

AuroClair

Aurora Clairmont
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.auroraclairmont.com
So many thoughts. So much feedback!

Thank you everyone.

I guess... I should really specify my situation a little.

I am single. My costs are around 1,200 a month for everything (car payment, rent, groceries, health insurance - everything). Some extra for savings and things would be perfect. So lets say I need 1,500 each month after taxes. That is 18,000 a year. More would be great. But I just need 18,000 to cover my bases.

The main thought process that sparked this whole darn thing is the fact I am disabled. I am having performance issues at work and I am worried there will be a point where they have had enough. So far they have been working with me very nicely. But it is still frustrating. Very frustrating.

I am trying to figure out goals to try to have something to fall back on, even if just temporarily or to fill in the gaps. I understand I will need a repertoire of work in my arsenal to collect back royalties on as well as consistently putting out new work.

My goal (while working) is a book quarterly. It isn't grandiose, but with my disability in mind that is about all I can do while also working full time.

Pushingfordream

Writing about life!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.danielwallock.com

Thank you everyone.

I am single. My costs are around 1,200 a month for everything (car payment, rent, groceries, health insurance - everything). Some extra for savings and things would be perfect. So lets say I need 1,500 each month after taxes. That is 18,000 a year. More would be great. But I just need 18,000 to cover my bases.

The main thought process that sparked this whole darn thing is the fact I am disabled. I am having performance issues at work and I am worried there will be a point where they have had enough. So far they have been working with me very nicely. But it is still frustrating. Very frustrating.

I am trying to figure out goals to try to have something to fall back on, even if just temporarily or to fill in the gaps. I understand I will need a repertoire of work in my arsenal to collect back royalties on as well as consistently putting out new work.

My goal (while working) is a book quarterly. It isn't grandiose, but with my disability in mind that is about all I can do while also working full time.

Wow all of your costs including insurances, bills and food are $1200? If thats the case I'm sure if you have a few book selling pretty well that you could be full-time.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

Thank you everyone.

You need $18,000 plus taxes, don't forget. Which could mean you need quite a lot more. I don't know what taxes are where you are, but here I'd assume I'd need to add half as much again to my income, with the understanding that that would give me a pleasant safety-cushion. So your $18,000 is now $27,000.

That gives you a monthly requirement of $2,250.

The income from writing is rarely regular. If you do well you'll have some months where you make more than that: but you'll also have some months where you make less, and some months where you earn nothing at all.

Writers need to consider this, and they need to ensure they have savings to provide a financial buffer for when things go wrong--as they inevitably will.

oakbark

Registered
Reaction score
The most important part of all this is....:

are you already writing?

AuroClair

Aurora Clairmont
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.auroraclairmont.com
Wow all of your costs including insurances, bills and food are $1200? If thats the case I'm sure if you have a few book selling pretty well that you could be full-time.
Roughly. Without any wiggle room.
I keep things pretty low though.
Rent is only $325 :}

You need $18,000 plus taxes, don't forget. Which could mean you need quite a lot more. I don't know what taxes are where you are, but here I'd assume I'd need to add half as much again to my income, with the understanding that that would give me a pleasant safety-cushion. So your $18,000 is now $27,000.

That gives you a monthly requirement of $2,250.

The income from writing is rarely regular. If you do well you'll have some months where you make more than that: but you'll also have some months where you make less, and some months where you earn nothing at all.

Writers need to consider this, and they need to ensure they have savings to provide a financial buffer for when things go wrong--as they inevitably will.

I was an art kid, so I understand irregular funds from creative work. This is most likely a ways off. Having extra on top of my job is what I am looking at right now. But I do have the 'what if' 'could I' questions. Obviously. ;)

Just trying to figure out ways to determine if I can do this at some point. What I need in place, etc. They say you need at least 6 mo. in all expenses saved into a savings account. Some say 8 mo. And that goes for everyone.

The most important part of all this is....:

are you already writing?
Oh yes! Of course. I have been writing regularly for over 8 years. I just started to apply that to novel writing though this year. I had been doing creative free form writing all that time via role-playing with friends. We would world build, create characters, write and play out stories back and forth. It has made my writing style kind of weird in that I write from start to finish, editing as I go to help determine where the story is going. I only jump around to tweak and then later in editing to check for flow and obvious errors.

I signed the contract for my first book a few weeks ago. I am loosely working on a follow up to that one, namely plotting it out. I have a standalone that I am working on more strictly for a different publisher. They are interested in considering it for a late June release.

I also adapted a random short piece I had done last year into a novella and submitted that to a different publisher than the other two. Just want to see how each one works and figure out which are the best markets for my stories.

Last edited:

oakbark

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes! Of course. I have been writing regularly for over 8 years. I just started to apply that to novel writing though this year. I had been doing creative free form writing all that time via role-playing with friends. We would world build, create characters, write and play out stories back and forth. It has made my writing style kind of weird in that I write from start to finish, editing as I go to help determine where the story is going. I only jump around to tweak and then later in editing to check for flow and obvious errors.

I signed the contract for my first book a few weeks ago. I am loosely working on a follow up to that one, namely plotting it out. I have a standalone that I am working on more strictly for a different publisher. They are interested in considering it for a late June release.

I also adapted a random short piece I had done last year into a novella and submitted that to a different publisher than the other two. Just want to see how each one works and figure out which are the best markets for my stories.

Sounds like you are on your way then. Since you have been previously doing collaborative projects (and gotten it to work) that may be a way to build a reader base more quickly than standalone if you self-publish.

Many many many great writers have other sources of income too. Writing is their career, the day-jobs "are extra income to just pay the bills". Making a career of writing is easy. Just decide. I am a writer, done. That doesn't mean it will support you though. In time, it might.

Here's what I did.
Write, sell, get the dough coming in, repeat. By-and-by cut day-job quota in relation to author income based on average of the last 6 months. Treat it like a business which means either work (all days, even when sick or tired) or go bankrupt. Compare to opening your own store, let's say sell kid shoes in a mall. It needs to be open regular hours every day. That's all there is to it. (I did most of my bill-paying writing doing articles for affiliate marketers at one point. Still do now and then)

Most important of all in my book - never take a loan or whip out the credit card to fund any part of your writing life (meaning buy food, gas, pay rent, buy keyboard.. nothing).

If you are single, no kids, no pets, no loans etc you can squeeze your cost of existence down further if you want to go full-time on a budget. I would not recommend it though because somewhere along the squeeze, discomfort (like sharing room with others) starts to affect productivity.

What most writers fall on is work ethic. You go full-time when the money from the writing can support it (based on AT LEAST a 6 month average) - or if you have xxxxx amount of savings and are comfortable burning it all with a slim chance of making any of it back)

Except for the very few who manage to release a lottery ticket, writing as a career is tough. It's great since you don't have to go to a office, but in time the lack of socializing during work hours gets to some people. It's also great because we can do it anywhere in the world, but that is almost only possible when you are young and before you buy your first house, or after you start seeing the $$$ come in.

It is also great because it is a creative job which let's you express yourself instead of just soldering in a shipyard all day.. but, creativity is like wind - it rarely blows the way you want it to. Writing is like sailing. You cruise along at an angle to the golden creativity most of the time and accept that your output isn't pure genius... but it gets you to port.

Still, I think it is safe to say that establishing a career as a writer is easier today than ever before.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But I just need 18,000 to cover my bases.
After taxes, that's just surviving on about $26,000 a year before taxes. With no real financial stability or future. So start thinking you need to earn $35,000 a year, with about a $2,000 a year raise each year.

That's a job that pays $17 an hour more or less. Something you don't get at a fast-food job. While your best bet is still to marry wealthy, you can actually do this through writing. But it's work.

Start by committing 30+ hours a week to your writing. It'll be a second job now. When your 30 hours a week is bringing in your $18,000 after taxes, then quit your day job and devote 60 hours a week to your writing. That should put you in a sweet spot.

And take a look, a realistic look, at that $1,200 a month. Especially health insurance, which will likely run a minimum of a third of that after you quit your job. Keep in mind that when you work for yourself, you pay the IRS your entire FICA payment, not just the half your employer doesn't pay. Your writing also needs to pay the expenses of your writing, internet access, equipment, phone, paper, etc. Your $1,200 a month is unrealistic and you really need to do the math correctly.

Including 10% for long term savings/retirement.

Jeff

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, for what it may be worth, I'm about to cut my safety net loose at the end of January and commit to writing full time. It'll be early retirement, so some basic income, but no health or life insurance. My wife has worked for herself for two decades and I'm her safety net as well, so it's daunting.

To do it, we have to drastically cut expenses. That means selling the house and moving somewhere far cheaper than here. It means a lower standard of living, fewer toys, almost no vacation trips and a severe cut in meals eaten out.

My plan is to pay cash for a home, my car is paid off in 14 months and the only major bills will be for medical and insurance. It also means losing half a house in size, probably moving to a fixer-upper and likely a mobile home. I hope it doesn't come to raising chickens for dinner, I really hate plucking chickens. :)

I haven't lived like this since the last time I wrote full time for a living, 30+ years ago. I hope I haven't forgotten the miserable parts of that experience.

Jeff

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Good luck to you, Jeff. My first stint at self-employment was 7 years, and I'm just over a year into my second. No other income source.

No chickens, though. Raising vegetables is much cheaper and definitely healthier for all concerned :)

DeadCities

Registered
Reaction score
Living in Canada I find it horrifying what a concern health insurance is for Americans. If I ever attempt to write full time, at least that is not an issue.

Joe_Nobody

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.holdingyourground.com
I took the plunge just over 2 years ago, in Oct of 2011. Since that time, writing has been my household's sole source of income.

I always advise folks to be careful what they ask for. I work more hours than I ever imagined possible. For me, its not been the relaxed life of casual stints behind the keyboard that a lot of folks envision. This is a difficult, head rattling occupation.

I've been very fortunate - income hasn't been an issue whatsoever. But I know other full-timers who struggle.

If I may, a few questions I would ask of myself... poses that many aspiring writers may not think of:

1. Can you write under duress? A slow month of sales, a bad review, some jerk on a forum or trouble between you and your mate - all can foul a mood. Some people can't be creative after the loss of a loved one, while others are inspired. If you are going to write full-time, you need to be sure you can handle life's potholes, just as an accountant reports for work despite being hung over or having had an argument with his girlfriend last night. The accountant has to show up or be fired - you won't have that motivation.

2. Can you handle criticism and competition? Once you reach a certain level of success, the knives come out - and they're sharp. Jealousy, competition, professional disdain, and general meanness don't prevail, but definitely exist. You will have digital potshots taken at your family, beliefs, titles, readers and morals. Despite being an unknown mid-lister, I've experienced all of the above and more. Some folks can't handle duress and still churn out professional work. Can you?

3. Do you truly have discipline? Writing is fun, but that luster can dull quickly due to a host of reasons. When it does, can you still produce? When you are a full time word-perv, that paycheck is critical. You only eat what you kill. Pretend there a signing scheduled during the exact same week as your niece's wedding, both coinciding with your deadline for the next title. Do you have the guts to skip the wedding?

I don't mean to discourage, but rather paint a more realistic picture of what life is like for me, and many of the full-timers I associate with.

This isn't easy money. I wouldn't do anything else, I love it... but not because it is the lifestyle pictured by so many folks.

AuroClair

Aurora Clairmont
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.auroraclairmont.com
After taxes, that's just surviving on about $26,000 a year before taxes. With no real financial stability or future. So start thinking you need to earn $35,000 a year, with about a $2,000 a year raise each year.

... there are a lot of people that make and survive on a lot less. Like me right now. I am not saying I am aspiring to not make very much. I am a college grad and expected a lot more to be honest. But, the area I specialized in dried up while I was in school. By the time I graduated it was with a feeling of dismay and a touch of bitterness. Writing all the time almost every day for fun is about all else I did besides study. My grammar is pretty bad. Passable, but I honestly have a bad memory and can't remember all the rules to utilize them like I really should.

In the job market where I am right now I am lucky to be making $10 an hour instead of the barest minimum wage. So anything more than that sounds amazing right now as I am barely scraping by at the moment. Even $100 into savings every month is better than nothing.

Start by committing 30+ hours a week to your writing. It'll be a second job now. When your 30 hours a week is bringing in your $18,000 after taxes, then quit your day job and devote 60 hours a week to your writing. That should put you in a sweet spot.

I don't have that kind of stamina for anything. Not with my disability.

And take a look, a realistic look, at that $1,200 a month. Especially health insurance, which will likely run a minimum of a third of that after you quit your job. Keep in mind that when you work for yourself, you pay the IRS your entire FICA payment, not just the half your employer doesn't pay. Your writing also needs to pay the expenses of your writing, internet access, equipment, phone, paper, etc. Your $1,200 a month is unrealistic and you really need to do the math correctly.

Including 10% for long term savings/retirement.

Jeff

It really is. I agree. But, it is what I am doing right now. I didn't know about covering the entire FICA payment. I will have to look into that. But this is looking less and less feasible.

Living in Canada I find it horrifying what a concern health insurance is for Americans. If I ever attempt to write full time, at least that is not an issue.

It is completely ridiculous in a very morbid way.

1. Can you write under duress? A slow month of sales, a bad review, some jerk on a forum or trouble between you and your mate - all can foul a mood. Some people can't be creative after the loss of a loved one, while others are inspired. If you are going to write full-time, you need to be sure you can handle life's potholes, just as an accountant reports for work despite being hung over or having had an argument with his girlfriend last night. The accountant has to show up or be fired - you won't have that motivation.

I don't know. I haven't lived through it. I haven't lost someone since I was 8. Just pets. I was able to function with some bitter tears in my eyes. In private though. I put on good face in front of others.

2. Can you handle criticism and competition? Once you reach a certain level of success, the knives come out - and they're sharp. Jealousy, competition, professional disdain, and general meanness don't prevail, but definitely exist. You will have digital potshots taken at your family, beliefs, titles, readers and morals. Despite being an unknown mid-lister, I've experienced all of the above and more. Some folks can't handle duress and still churn out professional work. Can you?

I have a pretty thick skin and good sense of professionalism. However, humans are emotional beings. Things are going to affect us. I will be honest in saying it would give me a moment's pause. Perhaps cause some self reflection. But ultimately I would continue marching to the drum of my own kettle of fish.

3. Do you truly have discipline? Writing is fun, but that luster can dull quickly due to a host of reasons. When it does, can you still produce? When you are a full time word-perv, that paycheck is critical. You only eat what you kill. Pretend there a signing scheduled during the exact same week as your niece's wedding, both coinciding with your deadline for the next title. Do you have the guts to skip the wedding?

Yikes. I want a life. I want to work to live, not live to work. Or find some kind of healthy balance. No offense but that sounds absurd. I understand meeting deadlines. I really really do. I had crazy deadlines in school. I have worked at the table at thanksgiving while eating with everyone to get things done. So I get it.

But, everyone has a right to have a life outside work. If employers or people you are working with are that disrespectful for your personal needs to that degree I would honestly look at working with people who give a shit about others. Those wouldn't be the kinds of people I would want to associate with. Heartless. You can be professional and responsible with your work. But man. No offense, but that is sick. I wouldn't put up with that with my current employer and I am pretty mild mannered.

And, for the instance you are showing, it seems like you could plan ahead and keep something like that from happening. If it was critical, I would be able skip. If I HAD to. But still. Standards and healthy relationships with the people/companies you are working with seems critical. Having self respect for my own life and needs is something I balance with what I need to do and what is expected of me. Again. If people are making such unthoughtful requests with fore planning I would seriously consider looking at other jobs, or at least not letting it happen a second time by finding a better fit with people who are respectful of your one and only, special life.

Status
Not open for further replies.