The Games Lounge For All Your General Games Chat Needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
We've just bought Pandemic this week, going to try it at the weekend. It'll be a nice distraction to our Android Netrunner (I am so in love with that game) days.

I like Netrunner, but I'm not in love. I've played a few games of Pandemic, and found it to be just as good as everyone says. It's a lot of fun.

I have been desperate to get my hands back on the Final Fantasy franchise. I stopped playing consoles after PS2, so I've only played up to XII, which is one of my absolute favorites.

I don't know if I want to drop a crapload of money on a console that's gonna become obsolete soon, but yeah ... maybe one of the MMOs is in my future :D

I just got a used PS3 for a great deal, and I'm so happy with the decision. I have a 4, and it's lovely, but instead of waiting for every game to play something new, and ruling out predecessors to games I'm currently playing, my PS3 gives me a huge backlog to play through. Also, lots of friends have dusty games they're willing to recommend and then lend you ;) so I say don't be too worried about obsolete, unless you're only playing new releases!

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I've been in a game of Black Crusade!

Black Crusade, for those who don't know, is one of the 5 Warhammer 40,000 RPGs. It goes Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade and Only War! Personally, Rogue Trader and Black Crusade are my favorite for two main reasons: Freedom and Diversity!

In Rogue Trader, you are given a spaceship and said, "Go and Star Trek the shit out of the 40k universe!"

In Black Crusade, you are given something even more fun: THE GLORIOUS POWERS OF CHAOSSSSSSSSS!
I really need to try some of these others. I've only played in Dark Heresy games, which I loved because they were *so* gloriously grimdark that it circled around into hilarious from the other side.

Helped that it was a fantastic group. :)

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I really need to try some of these others. I've only played in Dark Heresy games, which I loved because they were *so* gloriously grimdark that it circled around into hilarious from the other side.

Helped that it was a fantastic group. :)

Honestly, my favorite is Rogue Trader.

The reason is that it actually tones down the grimdark so that 40k once again feels like a real place and not an absurdest painting set to a heavy metal soundtrack.

Also, it is one of the few 40k RPGs that has the main themes and elements be hope, freedom and exploration - you are goddamn Rogue Traders, and you're going to make something of this universe!

Also, YOU GET YOUR OWN FREAKING SPACE SHIP WITH A CREW OF HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Final Doom from playstation 2 is the only game I've played in the last 4 years, but I want to play minecraft.

May I recommend Terraria? It's like Minecraft, but 2D side scrolling. Tons of fun, and nothing trying to blow up or destroy your hard work. You can get it on Steam or as an app game for various tablet systems.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I still do once every week or two!

Oooh, now I need to do some ME3 multiplayer.

(Volus Engineer is best volus/engineer/anything. I own this room, I own you.)

Yay, more people!

It's so disappointing EA decided to stop supporting ME3MP after what, a year? People complained about it being shoehorned in to ME3, but it was actually a quite well-balanced horde shooter.

Geth Engineer is the best engineer. Equip yourself with a super-light SMG, spam maxed-out Overload every two seconds for the entire thirty minutes, and reduce entire armies of Cerberus troops or Geth to twitching, convulsing ruin!

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
I normally would not consider it worth a mention that I'm playing Skyrim for the zillionth time, except...

...I got the best giltch ever.

Heimskr can't talk.

I don't know how I triggered this, but it's awesome.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Yay, more people!

It's so disappointing EA decided to stop supporting ME3MP after what, a year? People complained about it being shoehorned in to ME3, but it was actually a quite well-balanced horde shooter.

Geth Engineer is the best engineer. Equip yourself with a super-light SMG, spam maxed-out Overload every two seconds for the entire thirty minutes, and reduce entire armies of Cerberus troops or Geth to twitching, convulsing ruin!

Nah, Quarian Engineer. ;) 6/4/6/6/4 Max out Arc Grenades for damage, Incinerate up to Radius, Tactical Scan for damage.

My favorite characters are N7 Fury Adept, Human Male Adept (the one with Lash and Smash), N7 Shadow Infiltrator, and N7 Paladin Sentinel. Any of these are easy 140,000+ on Gold/Platinum.

I also kind of like Krogan Sentinel, Drell Biotic, Asari Vanguard and any of the other Infiltrators (I always equip my Infils with the Claymore. Except the Geth Infil, which gets the Piranha).

I find the Soldier class boring and I'm not a big fan of the Engineers (though it's easy to dominate with the Talon Engineer, except he's frustratingly squishy).

Last edited:

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I've been playing Dungeon Keeper 2...but do you know what I really want to play now?

Evil Genius!
I recently started yet another playthrough of that. It will never stop amusing me when I get my frikkin laser. It disappoints me that they can't be attached to sharks.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Wait what what is this game I think I need it.
Basically, Sim Villain. Pick one of three evil geniuses, build a force of minions and train them in different specialties, then send them out into the world to steal loot, intimidate governments and build up your status, while back on your island you build your secret lair, plot heinous plots and set up traps and misdirects for both the government agents who come looking for you and the civilian tourists whose vacations provide a cover for all the comings and goings.

It's a lot of fun. And pretty cheap on Steam IIRC.

Oh. and if you capture people, you can interrogate them on items in your base. I'm torn as to which is better - smooshing them in the movable bookcases until they spill their secrets or tossing them in the kitchen mixer until they talk. :D

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Basically, Sim Villain. Pick one of three evil geniuses, build a force of minions and train them in different specialties, then send them out into the world to steal loot, intimidate governments and build up your status, while back on your island you build your secret lair, plot heinous plots and set up traps and misdirects for both the government agents who come looking for you and the civilian tourists whose vacations provide a cover for all the comings and goings.

It's a lot of fun. And pretty cheap on Steam IIRC.

Oh. and if you capture people, you can interrogate them on items in your base. I'm torn as to which is better - smooshing them in the movable bookcases until they spill their secrets or tossing them in the kitchen mixer until they talk. :D

Sold. Where's my credit card?

Oh right. At home. With my Steam account.

I guess I can wait. *sulk*

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, after Alpha Centauri, civilization never was that interesting to me.

I think it is because I have a hard time getting invested in a history that I can't see actually happening. Like, why is Abraham Lincoln alive in 6,000 B.C.E? Why does he still wear a top hat? Why is he engaged in diplomacy with Ghandi?

In AC, you have the advantage of having well rounded, well written fictional characters who have a REASON to be alive for centuries, and they actually feel connected with the world and the events within - thanks to excerpts from their books, speeches, sayings. That made the history and world I had a hand in crafting feel alive and vibrant...while...Civilization just feels phony.

That's why, for historical games, I prefer ones with a tad more verisimilitude. Like, Empire: Total War - where elections change your government, old generals die, and the winds of change and politics sweep more naturally through the game world. Of course, if I had any real balls, I'd play Europa Universalis 4, but that game scares the crap out of me.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Honestly, after Alpha Centauri, civilization never was that interesting to me.

I think it is because I have a hard time getting invested in a history that I can't see actually happening. Like, why is Abraham Lincoln alive in 6,000 B.C.E? Why does he still wear a top hat? Why is he engaged in diplomacy with Ghandi?

In AC, you have the advantage of having well rounded, well written fictional characters who have a REASON to be alive for centuries, and they actually feel connected with the world and the events within - thanks to excerpts from their books, speeches, sayings. That made the history and world I had a hand in crafting feel alive and vibrant...while...Civilization just feels phony.

That's why, for historical games, I prefer ones with a tad more verisimilitude. Like, Empire: Total War - where elections change your government, old generals die, and the winds of change and politics sweep more naturally through the game world. Of course, if I had any real balls, I'd play Europa Universalis 4, but that game scares the crap out of me.

Half of my own enjoyment of the game (at least, watching Mr. Maxwell and his friends play so far) is the absurdity of it. "Hey Matt, did you know Tesla was born in Korea in 600AD? Okay Tesla, help me discover how to make lighthouses." "Oh my god it's Gandhi we're all gonna be bombed to the stone age." "Hello Pedro II of Brazil, I am the vikings. You've put Rio on top of a very nice bit of gold that I would like very much. Catapults say give it." There's no way any of it could ever happen, and that's part of the fun for me. It's not meant to be realistic or plausible any way you cut it (unless there's some way to set the game so that civs appear in the proper place and time.) It's silly, and I like silly. This is all coming from the girl who devours the Dynasty Warriors games and has actually read the source material. Historical accuracy? What's that? :D

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Bonnie Bunny x Robbie the Rabbit OTP. :D

I didn't find Five Nights at Freddy's scary myself, but that might have just been that I played it with a friend and our attention was focused on mocking it (and Bioshock Infinite).

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
It also doesn't help that I am literally the most easily scared person in the history of the universe.

Hell, I haven't gotten more than 4-5 minutes into Amnesia.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to approach horror games with the same constant mindset: "If I do [anything], then something stupid will happen." It kind of ruins the "jump" factor of a lot of jump scares.

My personal "favourites" are the ones that think they're clever by having nothing happen the first time you do (action a), but the second time you do (a), something happens. And then repeat the same formula for (b), (c), (d), (e), (f)...

(There's really only one thing that scares me in video games: Red Chocobos. They are Satan in bird form. :D)

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Been playing loads of Balder's Gate 2!

It is such a titanic, massive improvement over BG1 that I can't believe I haven't played it until now.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, BG2! That was my all-time favourite game for years, until I played Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect. I have multiple copies, including one that is still sealed in its original packaging, because I didn't want to risk not being able to play it. Enjoy, Zoombie!

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, Quarian Engineer. ;) 6/4/6/6/4 Max out Arc Grenades for damage, Incinerate up to Radius, Tactical Scan for damage.

My favorite characters are N7 Fury Adept, Human Male Adept (the one with Lash and Smash), N7 Shadow Infiltrator, and N7 Paladin Sentinel. Any of these are easy 140,000+ on Gold/Platinum.

I also kind of like Krogan Sentinel, Drell Biotic, Asari Vanguard and any of the other Infiltrators (I always equip my Infils with the Claymore. Except the Geth Infil, which gets the Piranha).

I find the Soldier class boring and I'm not a big fan of the Engineers (though it's easy to dominate with the Talon Engineer, except he's frustratingly squishy).

Engineers are there for support, really. I often dominate silver or gold matches just by inducing non-stop seizures in the enemy so my teammates can pick them off, getting more points from assists than kills. Add in the Geth engy's boss-destroying turret, and it's a versatile class for points-whoring.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Albedo, can you tell me whether I can play MP without it affecting my SP campaign? I was watching my hubby try MP, and it showed his character under my account name (we play on our own machines with our own characters, but under one Origin account). As far as I know, it's not possible to delete anything done within MP. (I'm being nitpicky and going for my 'perfect' personal canon SP playthrough, and am a bit wary of having anything external affect it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.