• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking YA... Mentor, I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I've got kind of an odd request...

I am going through the first real edit of a finished novel and want to sort some things out before I make real, significant changes (or bother polishing things that will be ruthlessly cut).

As it is the story has 4 POVs, 2 of them ~18 or younger and 2 of them adults. I think one of the adults could be aged down with a drastic rewrite of her arc. I'd like some advice from someone experienced with YA fiction on whether it would be worth doing that by looking at the voice of some of the other chapters (a few thousand words, maybe) to see if it sounds "YA"-y enough. I don't really thing the chapters from the POVs of the younger characters sound particularly YA-y but I do not think I'm a very good judge at this point. Other advice from people experienced with YA would be welcome. I'm mostly just lost.

The story itself is a ~85,000 word sci-fi with a lot of mysticism and small gods running around. I'm inclined to compare it to PKD because that's where a lot of the inspiration draws from, but I'm not sure that's accurate. I've been having a really hard time with a summary. I'm willing to do an exchange in exchange for this help.

Status
Not open for further replies.