What does 'signature line' mean in book speak?

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
If an editor says he likes your short story and would like to see it developed into a 'signature line' or at least an anthology, what does that mean? Is signature line the same thing as a series? Before I respond to the offer of publication I want to know what on earth he's talking about! I googled this term and looked here on AW, but came up blank.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know the term, either.

I'd say it would be worth asking the publisher for clarification. You don't have to say "I have no idea what you're talking about"; you could go with "Can you give me some details on what that would look like with your company".

(And then come back and tell us what he says, 'cause I'm curious now!)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure either. I think Captcha's advice is spot-on.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
LOL! I took your advice and it turns out it's their way of saying 'series' in certain circumstances. My story is short (13K) and they want me to continue writing about these characters in 12-13K instalments, with either a 'part one, two, three...' subtitle or an immediately recognisable 'signature' in the series. Kind of like books I've seen which are 'Blood Lust, Blood Passion, Blood Whatever, Blood Whatever and Then Some...etc.

So now I know. Thanks!