• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Reader/CP for 60,000 fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
It's really short but kind of bad. I've been battling with depression on and off, where I honestly cannot remove myself from the story enough to fix it--not in a *this story is so close to my heart how can it change* way, but in a *IT'S ALWAYS TERRIBLE AND NEVER GOOD* way. I've began a rewrite 700 times, and I know it's normal to go through many drafts but it's gotten to the point where it causes me to have insomnia. I've never struggled with actually writing, but I can remember multiple instances where I will have my MS open with everything set up and stare at the computer for at least 4 hours. Not figuratively. Literally.

Tangent summed up to say: I kind of need help.

I used to have some sample work up in SYW, but I haven't written in so long (and haven't posted on here in so long) that it's been taken down, so I'll do my best to write out a description, and if you're interested then respond/PM me.

(p.s. I apologize for the long tangent, I just felt like who else would understand other than a bunch of writers?)

Description as follows:

Abenzeni is the priestchild--the final daughter of the High Preist who chooses the next ruler of Gakseilah. When an important symbol of the people, the Gaksaa, is stolen right from her fingers, Abenzeni is stripped of her title by her father and cast out of the palace into the desert. However, Abenzeni has no plans to simply leave.

She travels to Lahaan, a town devastated by her father’s negligence and infiltrated with violent soldiers. She also finds it is the home to a trio of cursebreakers, who take her in, only to realize they were the ones who stole the Gaksaa. Together, they come up with a deal: if she helps remove the Gikiin soldiers from Lahaan, they will return the Gaksaa.

It gets complicated when Abenzeni’s eldest sister sets her sights on Lahaan for untoward plans, and Abenzeni must stop Gakseilah from further tarnishing their name as the People of the Peace. But where do Abenzeni’s loyalities lie? And can she trust the cursebreakers?
----------

There it goes. It's not like I expect anyone to coddle me, nor do I expect anyone to rip me to pieces. I would just like some thoughts on consistency (plot and characters), and entertainment levels. A lot could make it better, but I feel like keeping this story and all my frustrations to myself is what is making me so depressed. So, any takers?

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
mostly just to get out of the habit of keeping ms's to myself and obsessing over them. I can't say my ultimate goal is to get published with this, but if it gets better I'll try that. Does that answer your question?

threetoedsloth

Registered
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot, PM me for contact information and send me the first three chapters. I'll let you know how I feel about it and we'll see if we can move onto the entire manuscript.

What are you looking for specifically in a beta? Like, do you want me to just focus on the plot and not worry about prose and other things?

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it does. I'd be willing to take a look at it. PM me for an email address.

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, I will send you both PMs.

And to answer your question, threetoedsloth, it would help if you focused on plot and characters, but if you have thoughts on anything else you can make a note. Minor typos (like a repeated word, because there should not be more than 3 spelling errors in the entirety) and prose are fine, if it's something that jumps out at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.