Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I think we need a thread somewhere with all of this kind of information - maybe International District (which is all about languages, really) or Story Research... I love the fact that I can come to AW, sit back and learn. Other people will surely find value in this as well.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I know some one-handed signs but they are not polite.

:D

I have a story on that subject, and I don't THINK I've told it here.

My elder daughter was in the main choir at school. She had some friends in the show choir.

So I went to a choir Christmas show, and had watched the main choir sing. While the show choir was performing, Elder Daughter was standing on the sidelines, talking to her friends. She waved to me and said something to me in sign. I answered, and we started talking. Okay, we were joking around and pretending to insult one another. At some point she insulted me, and my response was "f*** you and the horse you rode in on." In sign.

Suddenly, I hear a snort come from the alto section of the show choir, and one of the voices had dropped out. I look up, and see Victoria, my daughter's best friend, had stopped singing. Indeed, she was watching me, and had turned absolutely purple, trying to keep from laughing. It took her a good minute to get herself under control and get back to singing.

Turns out, Faith and Sarah had been teaching her sign, and, while she was by no means fluent, she definitely knew how to swear. :D

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
My Turkish co-workers never taught me to swear. :( It was that whole "But you're a *girl*" thing. Yeah, well I swore in English... you'd think they'd have noticed that.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
I picked up my last gift tonight. I stood in line at the customer service desk for over 20 minutes only to have the associate tell me I needed to go to the back of the store to pick up my delivery. :e2smack:

At least I'm done shopping. :D

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Swearing is terrific in sign language. It's so visual! "Cram it up your ass" just doesn't have the same impact in spoken English that it has in sign. :D

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
My dad is so irritating sometimes. We were watching Mankind: The Story of Us when the Civil Rights Movement was featured. What's he do? Switches over to a couple of rednecks hunting deer. Why? Simple. He's racist. I yelled at him and told him to go take a shower if he didn't like it. Guess where he is now? *shakes head*

Sorry. I just needed to get that off my chest.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
The university here has a grant so that signers accompany most, if not all, live performances.

They often have stand-up comedians who, while unused to being translated into sign, are quick to take advantage of it. It's kind of horrible, and kind of the funniest thing ever. The ladies are very gracious. :D

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
That depends on the learning environment. I still don't know many curses in the five or so languages I am most familiar with beyond English.

Also, the age you learn it. I was 15, and I bascially exchanged Japanese swearwords with English one with my classmates at the time. Everyone wants to know the rude things at that age, I think. XD

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
It's a little after one o'clock here in Canada, but it's the nineteenth, and that means one thing:

The Twelve Days of Mistletoemas are on. :LilLove:

Good night, everyone! =^_^=

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Also, the age you learn it. I was 15, and I bascially exchanged Japanese swearwords with English one with my classmates at the time. Everyone wants to know the rude things at that age, I think. XD

Okay, I lied. I do know some Japanese swearwords. My friend had me over at her house once last year, and she gave me a book on Japanese swearwords and such to peruse while she ranted about the creepy dudes her friends always try to set her up with.

I'm curious as to some of the ones you know? For some reasons the ones I know don't feel as cussy as English swearwords.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Well, there's not really a need as such, for explicit swear words. I know the childish ones, such as uncou, which is "poop". I also know bakayarou and yarou - they pretty much mean bastard. Temei can be used the same way. Aho means something similar everywhere baring Osaka, where it's actually a familiar term of address if you're calling someone a fool. kusou and chikushō is sh*t, but it's more used like we use "damn".

There are others, like sl*t ect, all the ones to do with sex, but I don't think I'd ever bother with them.

If I ever wanted to be insulting I would just drop all the polite tenses from the verbs, and change the "you" to either omae (which isn't so impoliete for guys, but it is if a girl uses it. Or I would use temei, which would be more impolite), and probably change all my verbs to the imperative form. And start sticking "me" everywhere, as it's a suffix which makes other words more contemptuous. Sort of like the opposite to tacking "O" onto words to make them more polite.

It's hard to explain it by comparing it to English, but you can be jaw droppingly rude to another person without actually saying a swear word. You can also be achingly polite in speach and be staying some not so nice things.

Personally, that's one of the things I find so fascinating about the language. If debio's around he probably knows some swear words that are worse.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
It's almost 2:30 am here. Usually I'd stay up to keep on my late night schedule but I'm damn tired. So, goodnight Cantina!

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Well, there's not really a need as such, for explicit swear words. I know the childish ones, such as uncou, which is "poop". I also know bakayarou and yarou - they pretty much mean bastard. Temei can be used the same way. Aho means something similar everywhere baring Osaka, where it's actually a familiar term of address if you're calling someone a fool. kusou and chikushō is sh*t, but it's more used like we use "damn".

There are others, like sl*t ect, all the ones to do with sex, but I don't think I'd ever bother with them.

If I ever wanted to be insulting I would just drop all the polite tenses from the verbs, and change the "you" to either omae (which isn't so impoliete for guys, but it is if a girl uses it. Or I would use temei, which would be more impolite), and probably change all my verbs to the imperative form. And start sticking "me" everywhere, as it's a suffix which makes other words more contemptuous. Sort of like the opposite to tacking "O" onto words to make them more polite.

It's hard to explain it by comparing it to English, but you can be jaw droppingly rude to another person without actually saying a swear word. You can also be achingly polite in speach and be staying some not so nice things.

Personally, that's one of the things I find so fascinating about the language. If debio's around he probably knows some swear words that are worse.

Yeah, that's why I said I didn't know any swear-words at first. There aren't that many explicit ones in Japanese. Just being exceedingly rude.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
One for Sian, since she mentioned the Aussie slang word "ranga" (redhead) a while back...

Since I went to a couple of films in Filmfest Australia a few months ago, the Australian Times (edited in London by and for Aussie expats) emails me its weekly online issue. And I notice that "ranga" now officially has an entry in the Oxford Australia Dictionary.

So there you go...I heard it in the Cantina first!

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
[Mystery Men]

You must remedy this. I didnt see it in theaters but someone exposed me soon after. It is epic!

Okay, will add it to my Lovefilm rental list - which is in three figures, so it may not be soon that I see it. They send me two discs at a time.

Good morning Cantina. Hope all are well and :Hug2: to those in need.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Neat, Junely :)

Eye- bump MM up on the list!

And imma gonna try this again for the morning crowd:

I have defeated the edits! (Disclaimer- final read through not included) \o/

So SHs opens January 1st.

How does this sound:

'Dear Editors,

Please consider the following story. An earlier version of Warriors Dead received an Honorable Mention from Writers of the Future in 2011.

Sincerely,
Me'

(It seems so much longer ago)

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Morning :chair

I am officially waiting in for a parcel from my parents. This has become known as the annual Xmas crud (krud?) because it's always something totally useless, that we are not interested in and don't want. Will they listen when I tell them 'we don't need X'? Well, no. Never mind.

After the success of yesterdays list I am going to make up another one and see how that goes.

Let's see now

• Read another 20 pages of Steven Tyler - he's gotten warmed up now, so this should be easier
  • Write 2000 words towards the AtCT
  • Watch another film - to be decided which one
  • Finish cryptic crossword
  • Organise files on computer - again!

Ok, so that's a work in progress. So's this

:Coffee:

Last edited:

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Remember I promised pictures of puppies?

20586_4687045370671_1498155291_n.jpg

PUPPIES! This page needed extra cuteness. :heart:

And I guess I should confess to not having seen Whedon's Avengers. I keep walking by the red box too (thats a vending machine for dvd rentals for those not living in a have it now society. Btw, if youve never seen a red box, can I come stay with you?)

Remedy eeeet. Whedon's Avengers is hilarious AND awesome. What's not to like?!

Busy day today. New WIP is eating my brain.

(For those counting along at home, that's #25. :eek:)

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Sick. Tired. Baby won't go back to sleep. Calling in reinforcements.

Status
Not open for further replies.