Did Santa bring you any books?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I finally entered the 21st century back in October and got a Kindle, and Jolly Old Saint Nick (in the form of my husband) gave me four e-books for Christmas:

The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman (Hubs mistakenly sent this one to me early, when he was trying to sort out the Kindle ordering process, and I roared through it in a day and a half)

Homer & Langley - E.L. Doctorow

The Worst Street in London - Fiona Rule

Wave - Sonali Deraniyagala

What did the Fat Man bring you?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Yep.

Three fantasy drawing books (that's books on drawing fantasy figures, not imaginary books about drawing... or books that attract fantasies, though that would be cool, if potentially dangerous), the most recent Temeraire book, and that Diana Wynne Jones book about her career, published poshumously. (I don't always like her stuff, but I appreciate her imagination, and the bits I skimmed in the library made this one sound enjoyable and educational.)

I'd list titles and authors, but I'm too lazy to go into the living room right now.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
The Fat Man (by which I'm referring to myself in the 3rd person) bought myself a shiny new Nook (which should be here by Saturday), and a nice 16gb data chip. He prays that this will be enough space. He also got himself print copies of Gayle Forman's IF I STAY and WHERE SHE WENT.

I was also given:

Harper Lee's TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
Richelle Mead's THE FIERY HEART
Sara Zarr's HOW TO SAVE A LIFE
and a RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT book.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was given...

-Zagazoo by Quentin Blake
-The Wild Washer Women by John Yeoman and Quentin Blake
-Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh

...uh, the PBs are for research, not for like, reading. I'm a big hippo who reads real books now, I swear.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I asked for, and got, Alice Munro short stories. I had read one by her titled "Fiction", on an online magazine called DailyLit.com, when she won the Nobel for Literature. I was jaw-dropping blown away by that story, let me tell you. So I'm looking forward to these two collections: Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage, from 2001, and Dear Life, from 2012. She is quite prolific; there are maybe 13 other collections of her stories.

My sister got The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt, which my niece picked out just because it looked good, knowing nothing. Heh. I look forward to reading that one too. I've read her other two titles and loved them.

Writelock

Tribal Wanderer
Registered
Reaction score
My wife contacted a local author that I like and I received an advanced copy of his newest work, plus a first edition of an older one. Yup, I'm a lucky man.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Well not a book persay, but I think this qualifies, I got a hand bound leather writing journal with parchment paper. The leather is hand tooled and is closed by a leather strap. Words do not do it justice.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
Well not a book persay, but I think this qualifies, I got a hand bound leather writing journal with parchment paper. The leather is hand tooled and is closed by a leather strap. Words do not do it justice.

That sounds lovely! I got a lovely blue leather journal myself -- not as beautiful as yours sounds, but, still, very nice!

DeadCities

Registered
Reaction score
The Fat Man left me Stephen Kings "Dr. Sleep" under the tree. I was pretty happy.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
My other half got me a Kindle Paperwhite for all those e-books that I can finally order. :D

angeluscado

Registered
Reaction score
Hubby got me World War Z, which was one of the books I asked for, and a Chapters gift card to buy even more books. Coupled with the gift card I got for my birthday and still haven't spent (not enough time to shop), I'm going to be stocking my shelves soon.

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Saint Nick brought me Sarah Downing's Hidden History of the Outer Banks and two cookbooks. Nick tends to provide non-fiction: our local library has so many books available as e-books that my Kindle is in constant use. (Just finished Michael Connolly's The Poet last night as an e-loan.)

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Santa was book delivery boy for me too.

All hardcovers too. Stephen King's 'Doctor Sleep', a Centipede Press edition of Karl Edward Wagner's short stories, Tim Powers' 'Hide me Among the Graves', and a new shiny hardback of T H White's 'The Once and Future King' to replace a tattered paperback.

Well chuffed.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
"Rush: The Illustrated History" and a couple of Simon's Cat books.

Nimyth

Registered
Reaction score
Santa brought me the Mist of Avalon. It has been so many years since I read it, I have forgotten the story. I am enjoying reading it again :)

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
Mick Foley's "Countdown to Lockdown" and the first four issues of the Sons of Anarchy comic book. Plus a $25 Amazon card. There's a book about George Washington's spy ring during the Revolutionary War, I wanna pick up

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Destiny of the Republic, by Candice Millard. Millard is an excellent non-fiction writer who likes to do historical stuff, and this book is about the election and assassination of President James Garfield, who could have been one of the major Presidents of the United States, and almost certainly was the most capable man to serve in that office in the sorry succession between Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt. To our great misfortune, with echoes persisting perhaps to this day, he only got to serve for a few months before a delusional nutcase shot and mortally wounded him. A horror of misguided medical treatment over three months sealed Garfield's demise.

It happens that I had already read this excellent book, but that doesn't dim my appreciation for the person who gave it to me, knowing that I very much enjoy books of this sort. It will find a good home with someone else, in due time.

Candice Millard is also author of The River of Doubt, which tells the almost forgotten story of ex-President T.Roosevelt's near-fatal journey down an utterly unexplored tributary of the Amazon River in far western Brazil. That river is now named the Rio Roosevelt in his honor. TR nearly died on this journey, and never recovered his famed vigorous health, passing on just a few years later. This, too, is a great read, and I recommend both books most highly.

caw

marie_w

Registered
Reaction score
This is an interesting topic. Santa brought me Divergent, Insurgent, and Allegiant books. Also the Martian and Wool, great books, both self-published.

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
Back when I was ten or eleven, my mother bought me a copy of Less Than Zero. She'd mistakenly thought it was a breezy story about high school silliness. Hey! Look! They're in prom wear, standing in a pool ... what hijinks!!

Needless to say I'm scarred for life.

Last edited: