Should I withdraw a submission when a publisher seems inactive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not very experienced yet in submitting short stories, so I thought I'd come here for advice.

I submitted a short story for an anthology on 11-25-14 for a window closing on 12-31-14. About a week after I submitted, the editorial team sent a confirmation email with a numeral ID for my story and said they'd be in touch as soon as possible to let me know their decision. I've heard nothing since.

On 03-02-15, I used their comments form to ask whether this project was still in the works and approximately how long until they might have a decision and still have heard nothing. I'm concerned because their website and Twitter feed are unchanged since I submitted. No updates there and none on The Submissions Grinder either. They are only a token-paying outfit yet they do not allow simultaneous submissions.

I'd like to submit it elsewhere but I'm wondering if I'm being too hasty. What's a reasonable approach to take in a situation like this? I figure I can use their comment form for again to say I'm withdrawing my submission, if nothing else. But is it common to take this long? Is it a red flag that their social media presence is so quiet? They have published at least one anthology before.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Usually, I'd think you were being hasty, but in this case I'm not so sure. Something should have changed on their websites by now. Are there any otehr ways to contact whoever is in charge? If you have names, you can Google them and see where it leads. Maybe to e-mail addresses, if nothing else.

Anthologies can be notoriously slow, but I'd spend a day or three trying to contact those in charge, and if I had no luck, I'd move on.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
James is giving you solid advice. Spend a little time emailing (JAR says three days, I'd personally give it a more conservative week-from-the-day-I-emailed-to-ask) but for a token paying market? You bet. Better to send that story out somewhere else to catch fish, than spend another month cutting bait.

Status
Not open for further replies.