Subbed over a year ago - no answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
I subbed a story to a magazine over a year ago (last January) and have had no answer. I also had no answer to a (polite) nudge email I sent late last year. Do you think I can assume a rejection?

To be honest, this is a prestigious mag and I'm aware I was aiming way out of my league but my thought was to start by aiming high and lower my sights as necessary.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
It's probably a rejection, to be honest. Although, saying that, I've had an acceptance from a magazine I sent an article to after two years, so you never know. Mostly, if you don't hear from a mag, then it's a no. More than a few don't bother sending out a rejection. But, if it says they do on their sub guidelines, then nudging is okay. Once, and by mistake, I sent the same article to a mag a year after I had sent the original. Didn't hear anything from the first time I sent it, but got an acceptance four days after sending it the second time.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
If I sub it elsewhere do you think I should drop the first magazine an email? Or just get on with it and deal with a clash in the vanishingly unlikely situation that it occurs.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Before doing anything else, even before subbing to a mag, you need to know what that mag's rejection policy is. The answer should be somewhere in the guidelines. It should say whetehr they return rejected stories, whether they only reply if it's an acceptance, and how long you should wait before assuming it is a rejection.

Without knowing the rejection policy, you;re operating in the dark. If you can't find teh answer anywhere, call the magazine and ask. A receptionist, or someone similar, will answer the phone, so don't worry about bothering an editor. Explain that you couldn't find the answer in any of the magazine's guidelines, and you should get a polite and definitive answer.

Without knowing teh policy, you can wait too long, or you can cut the wait off far too short. I once waited just over two years for a top magazine to respond, and when they did it was with an acceptance letter, and soon thereafter, with a contract, and one of the largest checks I'd received up to that time.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
That's interesting. It definitely isn't in the online sub guidelines. I'll bear it in mind for the future.

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
You might have already done this, but I always check the average, shortest, longest, and most recent response times reported on Duotrope and Submission Grinder. Not perfect, but good indicators of whether it's way past time to move on. One top mystery market (for example) can take two years to respond and hardly ever replies to queries.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks - actually it hadn't occurred to me to look there. Doh!

Eta: Hmm I'd forgotten Duotrope is paid, and I'm not sure that's something I want to pay for. Grinder doesn't seem to have an entry for this mag either. Oh well. I will mull over the Duotrope membership (to be honest the fact that you have to sign up for paid membership in order to get the free trial sits badly with me.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.