second read

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
This is a submission question. Has anyone ever had a submission status change to "second read?" This is for an awesome, out-of-my-league publication. I have never seen this status before anywhere. Does this mean it is in the hands of the editor? I'm not sure how long I my status has been in "second read." This place has had my story for longer than any of the reports on duotrope. I actually only checked it because I was thinking of sending in a new story and thought I must have missed the rejection or forgotten to log it. If any of you have had this status before, I would love to hear how long it took to hear one you were in "second read." And if anyone has insight about this status, that would be great to hear, too.

Last edited:

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
Clarkesworld? Yes - I've been in second read sometimes for up to a month. The stories in question still didn't get bought, but I believe that second read is where the editor's looking at them.

I seem to recall my second-read rejects all got personalised rejections from said editor, praising bits of the story and explaining what didn't work for them, but I could be misremembering.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
A second read can mean a story has made it past first readers, and is now in teh hands of an editor, or it can mean the editor has put the story aside for a second read later. A second read doesn't mean a sale, especially when it just means it made it past first readers, but either way, it's good news. At the very least, it means you story is a lot better in some way than most of the stories submitted to that magazine.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
It's not Clarkesworld. I write literary fiction. And this is for one of the big ones. I know it's not a sale, but this might be the closest I have come to a sale. I am tempted to pull this story from other places that have it right now and just wait on this one. Is that stupid? The other places that have it right now are also great and it will take them a while to get to my story, I'm sure, because they haven't had it very long. But the place where I am listed as being on "second read" is a dream publication. I'm not exactly sure what it is about this story that someone liked enough to pass along to the editor or hold onto it some more, but I imagine it will be hard to reach this level again at this publication.

imjustj

Registered
Reaction score
Don't pull it from the others!

"Second read" is encouraging, but as others noted, it is not a sale.

If another market makes an offer you can contact the dream publication and give them a nudge.

Congratulations on getting a second look. :)

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
Don't pull it! That's just thumbing your nose at the writing gods. Dollars to doughnuts, the very second you pull your story you'll get an email from dream market say "Close, but not this time."

Then you have to scramble with "I take it back, please still read it!" emails to the places you've just ditched, which makes you look desperate and unprofessional, or you've just lost your chance with those markets and that story.

SeaSerpent

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, this means it's a good story. If it doesn't sell here there's a good chance someone else will pick it up. Good luck with it :)

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
This is driving me crazy. The suspense is killing me. I know the best thing to do is forget about it, but I just can't. I've been sending out my stories for a few years now, but I just can't seem to make a sale. I need something to work out for me. I want this SO BAD!!!

cynreeda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegoblinkingdom.wordpress.com
Good luck! I hope you make the sale.

I've got a few short stories out myself and waiting for replies is tough. I have to occupy myself with other things, like working on my novel.

Again, good luck!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
This is driving me crazy. The suspense is killing me. I know the best thing to do is forget about it, but I just can't. I've been sending out my stories for a few years now, but I just can't seem to make a sale. I need something to work out for me. I want this SO BAD!!!

I do understand how important that first sale is. I made a good sale with my first story, and it's a good thing I did. I still remember how that sale carried me through the lean times when it seemed everyone out there stopped wanting my stories. No matter how bad it got, I could look at that sale and and know I had what it took to sell stories to top magazines. Without that sale, I would have stopped writing very early in the game.

Getting that first good sale makes all the difference, so I know where you're coming from.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
So, I can say for sure that my story has been held on second read for over a month now. I am guessing quite a bit longer because of the response report on duotrope. Most rejections come in about half the time this submission has been with this place. Do editors ever forget about the "second read" stories? What are they waiting for?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
So, I can say for sure that my story has been held on second read for over a month now. I am guessing quite a bit longer because of the response report on duotrope. Most rejections come in about half the time this submission has been with this place. Do editors ever forget about the "second read" stories? What are they waiting for?

I've never known an editor to forget a second read story. I have known them to be extremely slow. All sorts of reasons can cause a delay. The best reason is that they really like the story, but want to be sure they can find a time and place to publish it.

This is not always as easy as it might seem. Most magazines are put together like jigsaw puzzles, and every piece has to fit. This can take some time.

And sometimes editors hold a story for a long time because they like it, but it's by a new writer, and while they like it, they may not love it enough to buy it instantly. They often want to wait and see whether a better story comes in to replace it.

Sometimes, too, they wait until they have a bunch of second read stories before sorting through them. This is fairly common.

And sometimes an editor, or someone else, gets the flu, or they get overwhelmed with this, that, or the other, and it takes time to get the ship back under rudder control.

All any of us know is that they're still holding it. But I can say it's extremely unlikely that anyone has forgotten it.

Status
Not open for further replies.