strange addiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I think I have developed a strange addiction to writing the same story over and over again. It's weird, I know. But I keep coming back to this one story and completely writing it from scratch. My hope each time is that the new version will be better than the last. I am determined to make this story work.

I never used to write multiple drafts, and these are complete rewrites, and I'm up to four of them, and I still don't think I'm done. In fact, I would like to have another go at it today.

I took a revision class last semester where we had to write the same story multiple times and basically from scratch every time. I was a little reluctant to do this at first, but I did have fun doing it. Now, I am doing it again on my own this time.

Is there something wrong with me? Have any of you ever obsessed about a story this way? Is it crazy to think that if I write this story enough times that I will get it just right? And how many drafts is it going to take?

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
The danger with doing that is, you may grow sick to death of the story and never touch it again.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
The danger with doing that is, you may grow sick to death of the story and never touch it again.

But isn't it true that the potential rewards outweigh the risks?

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
The other danger I see is never getting it "just right." There will always be another draft, always something that can be changed, edited, deleted, added, made better, worse, different, etc. When will it be "just right"?

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
The other danger I see is never getting it "just right." There will always be another draft, always something that can be changed, edited, deleted, added, made better, worse, different, etc. When will it be "just right"?

Which will eventually make you run down the street screaming and pulling what's left of your hair out.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I guess my problem is that I really want to write better, and I am willing to do anything to try and make that happen. I used to submit stories shortly after finishing them. I did one draft. I do write very clean first drafts, but haven't had much luck publishing. I have gotten several personal rejections and invites to submit again sometimes directly to editors. This let's me know I have some potential and maybe a pinch of talent. But I realize I have to do more on my part to get places to take my stories. It's too soon to tell if my rewriting efforts will pay off, but I can't really think of much more I can do besides putting more time into my stories.

In my opinion the rewriting is helping. I think I do have a problem with realizing when a story is actually done now. It's kind of like I went from one extreme to the other, thinking a story was done in one draft to not knowing if it's done after several drafts. How many drafts do you usually do? And how do you know when you are done?

The other thing is that I still like the story I am currently working on. Maybe I will get sick of it. Then I would know it was probably done or overdone by that point. For now, it is still fun to write over and over again. I've written enough mediocre stories. I am ready to start writing some good ones. And rewriting is the only way I can think of to make this happen.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
The other thing is that I still like the story I am currently working on.

If it's any consolation, I've been working on a WIP for ten years. Done many drafts, many edits and rewrites. I'm still not sick of it.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
How many drafts do you usually do? And how do you know when you are done?

It's different for everyone, I'm sure. I don't really do "drafts"; I just tinker until my gut tells me I'm done. Though, generally, I've found that the longer I tinker with something the worse it gets: at the far extremes, I have a story I've been tinkering with for ~5 years that has failed to sell to ~10 markets, yet I have another story I wrote on my spare time for fun and it sold to the second pro-market I submitted to. Go figure. :Shrug:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
But isn't it true that the potential rewards outweigh the risks?

No. Revising/rewriting a story once, sure. If you need to, do so. But doing it over and over? No. There are very few, if any, potential rewards, and you're already experiencing the risk, which is not constantly writing new stories.

It's uncanny how many new shorty story writers fall into some version of this trap. They spend months rewriting the same story, and/or they rewrite a story after every rejection, even though the editor didn't ask for a rewrite because if the story was rejected, something MUST be wrong with it. After three or four or five rejections, they shelve the story, but a year or two down the line they pull it out and start the rewriting process all over again. This is the surest way to delay becoming a selling writer, or to prevent it altogether.

When you write a draft, it's usually a good thing to go through it again, making any changes you think it needs, and to give it a final polish. But then you need to submit it, and leave it the heck alone until and unless an editor specifically asks for changes.

The way to learn how to write well in not constantly rewriting the same story, it's not to rewrite a story with each rejection, it's not to shelve it, only to pull it off the shelf somewhere down the road and star the delay process all over again, and it's not to spend months and months working on the same story. It just doesn't work.

The way to sell short stories is to write a lot of short stores. It's new stories, each with a new idea, and each written in a reasonable amount of time, that turns a new writer into a selling writer. As Ray Bradbury, and a big bunch of others writers, puts it, quantity breeds quality. This is just how it works. Rewrite/revise/edit, yes. Once. Then leave it alone until someone asks for a new rewrite.

Here's something else many new writers don't understand. When you;re receiving personalized rejections, but the stories aren't selling, it's very unlikely your writing is the problem. It is, in fact, extremely unlikely that your writing is the problem. Editors don't send personalize, praising rejection when they dislike the writing.

They do send them when they like the writing, but dislike the story. You can't really change story by rewriting. It's still teh same story, and even if you could, unless the editor tells you how to change it, you're just guessing. Worse, the story probably doesn't need changed, it just needs to arrive at a place where the editor is looking for that kind of story, or will tell you what changes to make.

Learning to write well is the easy part of selling short stories. If you have any talent at all, you'll learn how to write well, or at least well enough, very quickly. For the most part, writers either learn how to write well quickly, or not at all. Unfortunately this is not what sells stories.

The hard part of selling short stories is not writing well, it's learning which stories to tell, and what those stories should say.. It's learning how to tell the kind of stories editors want. This is crucial.

Look at it this way. MFA programs across the country are filled with writers who write extremely well. You have to write very, very well just to get into most of these programs. Yet only a small percentage of those writers ever sell a short story. They write very, very well, often breathtakingly well, but they still can't sell short stories because they never learn which story to tell, and what that story should say.

The way to do this is not to rework the same story over and over, and it's not to spend months painstaking writing a single story. The way to learn which story to tell, and what that story should say, is to write story after story after story until an editor says, "Yes! This is exactly what we're looking for!"

Or, at the very least, says, "This is extremely close to what we're looking for. It would be great, if you rewrite and revise it in this way."

This something just about every selling writer I've read about practiced, and preaches, be it Robert Heinlein, or Ray Bradbury, or William Saroyan, or Erskine Caldwell, or you name the writer.

Too many new writers can spend years on a tiny few stories. They do so, I think, because they think that story would sell if only they could polish it a little more, if only they thought, and worried, and pondered, and rewrote it again, and then again and again, and then again when it gets rejected, and then again after it's been shelved for five years.

Or they just shelve it after a dozen rejections, even though it might be the thirtieth editor who wants exactly that kind of story for his particular magazine.

Anyway, you learn to write the right kind of stories, and you learn what those stories should say, by writing story after story after story, by submitting each story, and by continuing to submit it until there is no place left to submit it. The wrong story is still the worng story, even if you rewrite it a thousand times.

Heinlein's Rule For Writing are not writing rules at all, they're solid, hardcore business rules, and they work. They work because Heinlein knew what all these other writers learned. Writing well, or well enough, is easy, if you have any talent at all. Writing the right story is, for most, the hardest thing they'll ever do. http://www.sfwriter.com/ow05.htm

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
James -- I hear what you're saying. I used to follow that model. I have written many many stories and submitted them all many many times. I thought maybe the problem was that I was turning out stories too quickly. I write fast, anyway. I was starting to think that I'm not spending enough time on each story. Then I started questioning my choices with tense and POV. I am in an MFA program, and everyone talks about multiple drafts. And after workshopping a story at school, there is always a lot to think about, and things that could be changed. I am still writing new stories. I'm just not as quick to send them out. I think I'm just frustrated.

I will say that the story I used to get into my MFA program was a first draft. I wrote it shortly before applying. That story has probably been rejected more than 25 times and is still circulating.

I just want a different outcome than having my stuff rejected. I thought rewriting would help.

kdaniel171

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Many writers experience such loops of perfectionism - rewriting the same story multiple times. I can't say it's bad, I know that it's really difficult to stop when you feel that your work isn't finished yet, it's not good enough, you can do better and so on. But you should stop at some point and your gut will tell you when this moment comes.

Last edited:

Vladimir Grimmasi

Registered
Reaction score
If the story is coming out different each time, with different characters and plot lines and endings, then I don't see anything wrong with that. I feel, however, that there is a certain amount of diminishing return that applies to the story after you've revised it more than you think you should.

erinreid

Registered
Reaction score
I think I have developed a strange addiction to writing the same story over and over again. It's weird, I know. But I keep coming back to this one story and completely writing it from scratch. My hope each time is that the new version will be better than the last. I am determined to make this story work.

I never used to write multiple drafts, and these are complete rewrites, and I'm up to four of them, and I still don't think I'm done. In fact, I would like to have another go at it today.

I took a revision class last semester where we had to write the same story multiple times and basically from scratch every time. I was a little reluctant to do this at first, but I did have fun doing it. Now, I am doing it again on my own this time.

Is there something wrong with me? Have any of you ever obsessed about a story this way? Is it crazy to think that if I write this story enough times that I will get it just right? And how many drafts is it going to take?

Not crazy -- or maybe just crazy enough to make for some good art. Sounds like Cézanne to me, how he kept painting Mont Sainte-Victoire or The Bathers over and over again. Keep all your drafts and be sure to work on other things as well, but the wonderful thing about Cézanne's obsession and repetition was that it illustrated his change in style of the years.

Keep doing what's best for you, because I'm sure it'll be great :)

Status
Not open for further replies.