personal rejections

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Is it me or do personal rejections sometimes feel more frustrating than form rejections? They say very little (at least the ones I've gotten). And since it takes so long for them to get to a new submission, there is no way the editors are going to remember me by the time they read a new submission from me. What am I supposed to take away from a personal rejection?

I just got one where it implies that multiple editors or readers read my story. It said "everyone" loved it. It did not tell me why it was rejected or how close it was. I have also been told that "this story will be published." Okay, why not by you guys?

The thrill of a personal rejection dies quickly. I am not trying to read into something that's not there. I know a rejection is still a rejection. I'm just starting to feel a little stuck in the almost-good-enough category. Have you guys been there?

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I know what you mean. I got a lovely personal rejection from Lightspeed on the first story I sent them, and it's almost worse than the generic ones. It's like "Ooohhh, so close. But no."

So, I immediately put them to the top of my submissions list, thinking they like my style, and ever since then, all I've gotten is the form rejection.

William Green

Registered
Reaction score
And since it takes so long for them to get to a new submission, there is no way the editors are going to remember me by the time they read a new submission from me.

Maybe not. On a couple of occasions, after receiving an encouraging personal rejection, my next submission to these magazines was responded to very quickly, suggesting they bumped it up to the head of the slush pile to read it.

Response was still a No, but at least it came in a month's time instead of 4-6.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't differentiate among rejections. I hate all of them equally. Kinda like when the kid on Southpark said, "How can it be cute? It's a butt." Ya know?

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
I dig personals. I've had mostly forms in my "career" subbing, with some personals interspersed. Lately, I've been getting many more personals, which do make me feel as though I've improved, and I'm that much closer to acceptance. I've had an editor remember a prior story I subbed (which was rejected) and comment they were pleased to see another sub from me (though they were also rejecting that one).

There's more that matters than them loving the story, unfortunately. How much money they have to give out and how much room for words per issue factor in, certainly. Also the "type" of story the magazine takes, which can vary either widely or infinitesimally.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I just got one where it implies that multiple editors or readers read my story. It said "everyone" loved it. It did not tell me why it was rejected or how close it was. I have also been told that "this story will be published." Okay, why not by you guys?

?

Assuming it really is a personal rejection, the reason it won't be published by those guys is because it's not what those guys are after. It's about fit. Loving a story, even everyone loving it, does not means it fits the idea you have for your magazine. Fit matters every bit as much as quality.

I once sent a story to a national mag, and received the same kind of rejection. The editor told me that everyone loved it, that the story got loose on the floor, and even the secretaries read and loved it. The story made it to the next floor, and had the same results.

The editor said that never in his tenure had this happened, or anything close to it. But he still had to reject the story because there simply was no way to make it fit the magazine's goal and focus.

He explained in much better detail than I found in the guidelines what he wanted for the magazine, and I sold him several stories after that. The story he rejected sold to the next editor who say it, but to a very different kind of magazine, one where it actually fit.

Editors do remember writers they believe write well, that they believe will likely sell them a story one day. Most I've known even keep a list of such writers.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I don't differentiate among rejections. I hate all of them equally. Kinda like when the kid on Southpark said, "How can it be cute? It's a butt." Ya know?

I've seen some butts that were cute, and I've seen some that were just sexy beyond belief.

All rejections mean no, but truly personalized rejections also mean you're getting much closer to publication.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I just got another personal rejection. Same story as the last one. This is only the second rejection I have gotten for this story so I am hopeful about this piece. And these have both been personal rejections from really big places. The rejection I just got today came from an editor's direct email. I have been rejected by this publication before, but never from this email or this editor. And I read this journal so I know from the masthead that he is the one I ultimately need to impress. This is 100 percent for sure a person rejection. I know sometimes it is hard to tell, but with this story, it seems pretty clear that it is making it past at least the first hurdle.

BIG QUESTION: Does receiving a personal rejection from an editor and from their email mean I can submit to them via this email in the future? I don't want to overstep any boundaries, but I also don't want to not take advantage of an opportunity.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
BIG QUESTION: Does receiving a personal rejection from an editor and from their email mean I can submit to them via this email in the future? I don't want to overstep any boundaries, but I also don't want to not take advantage of an opportunity.

If you weren't specifically invited to take that liberty, then I would not. I don't think it will get you any kind of notice except the kind you don't want. I understand the urge, though!

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I've had one since Yvonne Olsen refused my request for a date, back when I was a freshman in college.

Her loss.

caw

You haven't had what since Yvonne Olsen refused your request for a date back in college? A personal rejection? An acceptance? An urge? A butt? What?

squeak

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Got one that said, "came close." Kinda cool and at the same time, kinda infuriating. If the story had been just a bit better or whatnot it would've been pub'd. Then I'd really have had something to be happy about.

Sigh :-(

Last edited:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I have had form rejections, curt rejections and personal rejections. Personal rejections are best. But not by much.--s6

Oh, and blacbird, Yvonne lived on my floor. She didn't turn you down because of your writing. She turned you down because you had cooties!

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

No, it doesn't mean that. It does mean you can say "thank you" in your next cover letter, thereby telling any first reader how close you came. Every tiny advantage you can give yourself matters.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Personal rejection. It was for writing, too. I slipped her a folded note in our English class.

caw

Did she correct your grammar or tell you what she didn't like about you or what? What did she say? Enquiring minds want to know!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Well, everything came out all right in the end. But perhaps continuation of this discussion doesn't fit well in the short fiction forum.

caw

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Well, everything came out all right in the end. But perhaps continuation of this discussion doesn't fit well in the short fiction forum.

caw

Are you saying it really belongs in the "long" fiction category? I hope it doesn't belong in flash fiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.