Calling all beaders....you whoooooo

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Do it. Soon. PM me for linkies to make it easier. Honestly, you're ready.

BTW, I'm redoing the green necklace I posted on 4/15. It's not gaudy enough now, and doesn't have enough dangles.

Sigh. I'm only done with these things when people buy them from me, or I give them away. And only then because 'No, damn it, I like the way it is, I'm not sending it back!' is the usual answer to me asking for a re-do.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Do it. Soon. PM me for linkies to make it easier. Honestly, you're ready.

BTW, I'm redoing the green necklace I posted on 4/15. It's not gaudy enough now, and doesn't have enough dangles.

Sigh. I'm only done with these things when people buy them from me, or I give them away. And only then because 'No, damn it, I like the way it is, I'm not sending it back!' is the usual answer to me asking for a re-do.

I understand about the tinkering part. I have a necklace I finished last year and while looking at it this morning, decided it was imbalanced near the focal bead. guess what I'll be doing when I'm not writing this weekend....

and PM sent. :D

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Slightly in shock this morning. Brought my pieces to work.

I might have sold 2 that I never would have thought someone would buy.
Had a request for another piece and a request to teach some little girls some simple stitches. :D

Color me happy!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
'Green Glow Necklace', second revision. Now with extra dangles!

Cranejewelry--GreenGlownecklace.jpg

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
From about 12 years ago (at least), a bead doll awaiting a new dress. Which I can give her now that I'm remembering how to do right-angle weave. I included this shot so that brave people can see the assembly and copy it if they want.

I learned this technique in 1991 in Tucson at a friend's house, where she had a little beaded horse made the same way. The white glass 'hand' beads came from a local bead supplier in AZ, but I've used little leaf beads for hands, as well.

BeadDoll.jpg

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Very very nice!

and yes your rules definitely apply. I just haven't shown people for a while because i was in a huge slump. But things are much better now. B and I discussed what I should do with the money (if the person buys the pieces) and he told me to reinvest in more beads! WOOT
Gota love a man who loves you doing what you love. :D

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Well, had a great weekend.
Saturday, B and I went to the Bead Retreat. Showed some of my stuff and was immediately harassed by questions on why I didn't set up a booth for at least trades and possibly sales. 1) I didn't have enough stuff to do trades and 2) we didn't get there until the bead show was nearly over 3) I don't have stuff right now to set up WITH! lol

Later I was asked if I had made any tutorials or considered doing my own books. I've done a few easy classes before, but I had not considered doing a book, or a tutorial until now.

What do you think?

Oh and B learned a LOT on what I'm going to need for a glass studio. Torch, ventilation, source of oxygen, different kinds of glass. I'm afraid his poor head was spinning by the time we went home!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I've had this jade dragon pendant for nearly a decade, and dug out some seafoam green and complementary seed beads for the chain. It turned out rather nice.

Cranejewelry--SeafoamDragon.jpg

This pale blue, lavender, and iridescent gold chain is a gift for an agent who gave me some contract help a couple of months ago.

Cranejewelry--PaleGold-Bluechain.jpg

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Very nice :D

Last week I completed 3 necklaces:
1 a daisy chain variant with zig-zag trim that I'm going to use as a name badge lariat
2 spiral chains 20 inches the first crystal with purple iris and matte garnet bugles the second dark red with white and black

B tried on the first spiral chain and damn if the pattern (Not the colors) looked good on him. I've seldom seen men wearing beadwork (except at pow-wows and historical reenactments) so maybe if he wears it we can get a fad going among guys.

Started a choker last night. going to use the ripple pattern. So nice when the muse speaks clearly so I know what I'm trying to do ;)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Some of the Japanese seed beads have really interesting bronze or steel colors that would look great on a guy, I think.

I'm still figuring out a pattern to make steampunk 'gears' out of seed beads and two-hole 'Tila' beads. That would look good on a guy, as long as I keep it from being too fussy.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Oh the gears pattern is pretty easy actually. I've got ideas using a modified circular herringbone pattern in my head either that or a circular peyote. Depends on what the muse says, I might try that next! lol

Oh and speaking of steampunk, I've gone off the deep end. B and I are getting married, probably next year. I'm insisting on eloping as I DON"T want a wedding. However, we will have to do the reception/dinner thing to satisfy family/friend obligations. And well, I'm thinking I have my theme! Since most of my family thinks I'm off my rocker anyway, might as well walk on over to the WTF territory. I think it'd be hellofa fun. Been looking at corsets and skirts and such. B would look fantastic. But I haven't suggested it to him yet. maybe this weekend

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
ohhhh pretty pretty pretty :D

let's see, finished 1 necklace, plans on 3 more. working on finishing an afghan for my future FIL (2 ft more to go!) and learned to knit... *hides from the guys in the straight jackets*

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
well don't know too much about it yet as I've taught myself from some youtube videos Sticking with simple knit and purl cotton facecloths for now.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
The latest obsession - patterns for steampunk gears in beadwork.

Cranejewelry--bronzeambersteampunk.jpg

I added a catch chain to the clasp, since this is heavy enough to maybe open by accident. The 'gears' are
right-angle weave tubes joined together and filled by spoke designs. The 'gear teeth' are repeating patterns of
seed-beads framing square or round amber pressed-glass beads, attached to the outer edges of the tubes.

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Thanks, Mary. This is some of the stuff I was going to get into this year's CopperCon - or maybe even do a charity donation. But they're not having an art show, apparently, and no one ever got back to my inquiries on some other programming issues. So I'm saving gasoline and money, and staying at home to write and do art.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I've been doing beadwork since 1985, which means I have a lot of seed beads leftover from too many projects to count. Most of the time the surplus just lives in plastic bags marked with the primary color range.

I dig out the blue/green bag recently, after seeing a really great beaded gemstone scarf on a high-fashion website. I wanted to do my version from much cheaper glass seed beads, and here it is:

Cranejewelry-multiscarf.jpg

4"x46" netting stitch in multicolored glass seed beads, size 111, 12, and 8.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Ohh very pretty.

I've finished the afghan (YEA) and finished a beaded bracelet this week.

Next is some crochet projects (yes I know) and inventory to see if I need to order beads for a custom bolo for a friend. (probably going to use size 15 as it will need smaller beads for more detail... or maybe I just want an excuse to buy pretties lol)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Okay, technically it's beadwork. There are teeny 1.5 mm agate beads woven into the fabricated and wire-wrapped cages. I made this one nearly 12 years ago, in just its silver form, and kept it as white silver.

I broke one link a couple of years ago; rather than just making a new link, I set it aside for re-design. I found a rich, dark-red tigereye bead recently that takes the place of the broken link. Then I wove the agate beads into the cages with 24-gauge silver wire. It was still a little garish with the white silver, so I blackened it with Win-Ox solution and give it just a little polish.

Now it's a perfect Halloween/steampunk piece, and I love it again.

Cranejewelry--Blackfiligreebeadchain.jpg