My 3 Reasons for Self-Pubbing & Sales Updates on Print & Ebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBmania

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottdavidbrown.com
Hi Ann! I have been enjoying reading about your journey. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I must comment on your statements about your one star review.

Please know that whatever you put out there on this forum or any other is there for the world to see. Your comments can turn off reviewers. They might think you can't take professional critisism & be afraid to review your book and give an honest review.

I can tell you from expreience I know how it feels to get a low star review. I have gotten 3! One was just a two star with no comment. The other 2 were two stars on Goodreads but translates to three stars on Amazon. Yes, it hurt at first. But, I read and reread the reviews and tried to see the positive in them. For one, neither stated my writing was crap. lol The book just wasn't for them. As a writer I have to accept that not everyone will love my book. Everyone has different tastes and it doesn't make them an idiot or a troll because they didn't like your story. As a writer I feel I can learn something from every review, good or bad.

It just makes me feel uneasy when I see an author bash a reviewer because they didn't agree with their review. I have to agree with Old Hack. The best way to respond to a negative review is with a "thank you for giving my book a try" and move on.

I wish you much luck & success and hope your next review is a positive one. :)

I agree with Celeste, it’s tough reading negative reviews. My first ever review was a one star review. It took me a while to get over that! I felt that his review was just plain mean and that if he had something constructive to say he could have done it in a nicer way. However, we have to remember that any review is based on one's opinion. Looking back, I do think there were a couple of helpful things in the review.

I've since learned to not react to the review, but I know it can be hard. I recently got a positive review on goodreads for one of my short stories and that did make me feel good! Being a writer, actor, or musician, meansthat we never really know if we are talented or not. You just have to believe in yourself and see what happens.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Tell me about it, Old Hack (the wrinkles not looking good part). No worries though. I'm tying up a few loose ends and I'll be saying my goodbyes. Then you can all get on with better things.

For the record, though some here may think so, I'm not even kind of bitter. With all due respect, none of you really know me well enough to make a statement like that.

I said what I was advised to say by you and one other poster, which was, "Thank you for reading my book." I changed the word from book to post and moved on. After I wrote it, I could see how it would be perceived as sarcasm; and I should have decided to walk the higher road, but I was feeling so battered by that time, it seemed apropos.

In truth, I am hurt, extremely so; but not by the words of the person that posted that review. Just as most of you must know, there's a marked difference between hurt and bitterness. I've lived long enough to not allow bitterness to take root in me; and to learn how to move in forgiveness too. I will deal with the hurt in the days ahead, and I promise you, I'll eventually get to the other side of it.

Was I premature in publishing my labor of love as some of you seem to have already determined? Only time will tell. Meanwhile, I'll bumble along in my own little Pollyanna world, sipping from this great big old bucket of lemonade. ;)

Ann, I hope you'll take a little time out, then come back. I don't have thick skin, never have. Sometimes I have to walk away and tend to my wounds. They heal and I'm stronger from having tried to see someone else's point. I may not agree with it, or how it was written, but there is no growth if all you ever hear is what a wonderful job you're doing. We all can write our next book even better by what we learn today.

Hope your health is improving.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Dear, dear Merri, You have been a good friend and I really miss you. I agree with you in what you say, and I don't like what these meds do to me. I've always tried very hard to live my life treating people the way I want to be treated.

These particular drugs make you hyper-sensitive, short-fused and a host of other things. Trust me, I do regular self-flagelations. I'm not making excuses, I'm just telling it like it is. I wish I could say I was living with less pain every day, but I still have bad days and good days. Emotional stress is not very good for me.

Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to say hey. I hope you're selling a ton of books. :D

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Here's to more good days than bad. Meds are a blessing and a curse all wrapped up in a container that I swear is harder to get into some days than Air Force One. I wish you all good things and really do hope, on those not-so-good days, that you'll avoid AW and reviews. Come back on the days when you're feeling more like yourself. I'm selfish and want to continue reading about your journey!!!

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Ann! I have been enjoying reading about your journey. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I must comment on your statements about your one star review.

It just makes me feel uneasy when I see an author bash a reviewer because they didn't agree with their review. I have to agree with Old Hack. The best way to respond to a negative review is with a "thank you for giving my book a try" and move on.

Celeste, thank you for your comments. I only used part of your quote for the sake of brevity. I promise you, I would have been okay with a negative review (well, it wouldn't feel good, but I could have dealt with it), but I'm still quite sure this is not what we have here. And I'm also 99.9% sure I know who that 'reviewer' was, but that's as much as I'll say on that.

I really don't want to keep rehashing this subject as it is obvious I am not to be believed, but I meant to thank you for wishing me luck and success. I know you had good intentions in your reply to me and I appreciate that.

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really don't want to keep rehashing this subject as it is obvious I am not to be believed, but I meant to thank you for wishing me luck and success. I know you had good intentions in your reply to me and I appreciate that.

Ann,

I intentionally stayed out of the recent comments because I honestly had nothing to add to either side, but now, I believe that it's time to look back on what you've achieved thus far - you've written a novel, you've sold 90-ish paperbacks, 3 kindle versions and been an absolute trooper so far. Not to mention all the people you've helped/are gonna help with this thread.

Okay, the review wasn't ideal, and I know it's easy for me to tell you let it go when I've not received one myself yet. But, I genuinely think you should sit back in your chair and think for a few moments what you have done recently, you're a credit to yourself and your family, and don't let one bad review (troll or not, I'm not getting into that) make you think otherwise.

Best of luck Ann, we're all rooting for you.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I really don't want to keep rehashing this subject as it is obvious I am not to be believed

If you really "don't want to keep rehashing this subject" why did you mention it again?

The point isn't that we think you're lying about the review: just that not only is there nothing to be gained by speculating about why it was written, it's very negative to call your readers names in an effort to discredit their reviews of your work.

This is a summary of what's been said so far:

We really need to get away from this idea that if someone doesn't like a book that we like then they're idiots, or they somehow lack taste. I really don't like to see writers dismissing readers in this way: we depend on those readers for our livelihoods, and should talk about them with a lot more respect than that.

Instead of labelling this reviewer a troll we could try to see if there's anything we can learn from this review. And one of the things we can learn is that writers should treat readers with more respect: the only reasonable response to a review, good or bad, is to say, "thank you for buying and/or reading my book."

People are entitled to have opinions which differ from our own and calling them names for daring to disagree with us is just not acceptable. In life or on AW.

Several posts have now been made, by more than one member, in which the reviewer is called a troll, and the only basis I've seen for that is that they've left a review Ann doesn't agree with.

You get a bad review? Suck it up. Be grateful that the reader bothered to take a look at your book. It's just as valid as a five-star review, and if you wouldn't object to one you shouldn't object to the other.

Ann, I can't download your sample as my Kindle For PC isn't working right now: but there are several problems with your book's description in the Kindle shop, and if you've employed similar devices in your book then I'm afraid the reviewer might have a point.

I'm sorry to be so blunt: but you're a professional writer now. You have to cope with these things better. If you think a one-star, three-line review on Amazon is bad wait until your book is trashed on national TV or in the national press. Until you can deal with that with some degree of grace, then you might not be ready to publish at all.

Please know that whatever you put out there on this forum or any other is there for the world to see. Your comments can turn off reviewers. They might think you can't take professional critisism & be afraid to review your book and give an honest review.

I can tell you from expreience I know how it feels to get a low star review. I have gotten 3! One was just a two star with no comment. The other 2 were two stars on Goodreads but translates to three stars on Amazon. Yes, it hurt at first. But, I read and reread the reviews and tried to see the positive in them. For one, neither stated my writing was crap. lol The book just wasn't for them. As a writer I have to accept that not everyone will love my book. Everyone has different tastes and it doesn't make them an idiot or a troll because they didn't like your story. As a writer I feel I can learn something from every review, good or bad.

:roll: Wait, it was two star reviews!! Not one star! lol Hey that extra star matters ;)

Good point Old Hack about taking reviewers negative comments to good use. For example, even my positive reviews have a running theme with my negative ones. As I'm currently writing my next book I have those comments in the back of my mind and I'm making sure to not repeat the same mistakes.

If you read those back I think you'll see that no one has said anything about not believing what you've said here, and it's disingenuous of you to imply that they have.

Deleted member 42

Yes, reviews can hurt. Yes, I've had one-star reviews. Yes, I've had negative one star reviews from reviewers who say they haven't even read the book.

I don't care. I sign my name on the check, or look at my electronic transfers, and smile.

Reviews are for readers. They aren't for authors. Screw the reviews, work on another book.

A new book drives sales.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Ann,

I intentionally stayed out of the recent comments because I honestly had nothing to add to either side, but now, I believe that it's time to look back on what you've achieved thus far - you've written a novel, you've sold 90-ish paperbacks, 3 kindle versions (Hell, you've even created the actual kindle version yourself) and been an absolute trooper so far. Not to mention all the people you've helped/are gonna help with this thread.

Okay, the review wasn't ideal, and I know it's easy for me to tell you let it go when I've not received one myself yet. But, I genuinely think you should sit back in your chair and think for a few moments what you have done recently, you're a credit to yourself and your family, and don't let one bad review (troll or not, I'm not getting into that) make you think otherwise.

Best of luck Ann, we're all rooting for you.

It's okay, Sio. Sometimes it's better to just stay out of the fray. I've had great advice over the last couple days from family and friends that know me well. The best was from my hubby yesterday who has been my rock, caregiver and protector. He told me last night not to get into a pi _ _ ing contest, if you get my drift. I'm going to take his advice. Other than my last comment to Celeste (and it was my last on this subject in this thread), because I felt I owed her that, I'm done. :e2zipped:

Thank you so much for your uplifting comments. As always, you are very encouraging. And thanks, too, for your friendship. I appreciate it. I sure hope you're still having great sales. Blessings!

Last edited:

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, reviews can hurt. Yes, I've had one-star reviews. Yes, I've had negative one star reviews from reviewers who say they haven't even read the book.

I don't care. I sign my name on the check, or look at my electronic transfers, and smile.

Reviews are for readers. They aren't for authors. Screw the reviews, work on another book.

A new book drives sales.

Thanks, Medievalist. You gave me a chuckle today (I needed that). I'm just taking a small break, then I'll get back to working on my next novel, which is about 2/3 done in first draft. Hope you're having a wonderful Monday!

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Thought I'd leave a brief update for any that might still be interested. Print book sales have slowed way down as I expected they would. I'm now at 91 after a couple (friends) called and came to the house last weekend to purchase two. I've sold 6 ebooks since going digital on Dec. 25th. All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with those numbers for now. Twelve weeks have passed since my launch.

Meanwhile, I'm working on my next novel, hoping to publish a digital version in the early spring, followed by print soon after. I'm also playing around with a short story. While my preference is to write novel-length stories, I have a few which will do better as shorts.

Onward and upward. I hope things are going well for all of you in your own little corners of the world. Blessings!

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
What is your next novel about, Ann? I just started writing on my second sequel to the first romance trilogy I wrote. LOVE beginning a new book!

Hi, Merri The next one is more of a romance story, set mainly in Maui and partly in MN. Hubby and I have been to Maui many times, the first time was for our 25th anniversary, so I use a mix of actual places (in a good way) and fictional places in the story. Has a bit more humor in it too. I'm about 200 pages into it, so not too far to go before some serious editing and handing it over to my betas.

The first novel concerned itself with several serious life issues (though it had love and romance and some humor in it as well), so it's fun to take a totally different tack in this one.

Like you, I love moving on to something fresher. I read that last one so many times, it took everything I had to go over it again. Hah!

The short, I just started last week, so I work on that one here and there as thoughts about the story drop in.

I'm so glad you're finding time to write in the midst of the busyness of moving. Nice of you to stop by!

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
So close to the first 100 milestone! Congrats for the sales :)

Thanks, Sarah. I was hoping to reach the 100 before the end of the year, but I'm very grateful for the 91. As for the ebook, I'm happy to have 6 sales, since I haven't done any marketing at all, other than mentioning it on FB.

I needed a little break from everything, but I'm getting refreshed now and writing again; that's the most important thing for me right now. Thanks for the congrats...the support keeps us moving. :Sun:Hugs!

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Aloha from Maui! :Sun: I was going to wait a couple more weeks to do this update because my kids are here right now and I've been too busy with them to see very many of our friends, etc. to know what total sales will be, but I thought I'd share where I am at this point, then in a couple of weeks or so, I'll update again if I have more to report.

My daughter brought 20 print books over with her, just in case I might need them. She's such a doll and so supportive of me. My daughter, my sister and my best friend!

Anyhow, I had a couple of more orders before leaving MN, bringing sales to 93, and the two nights we were at our favorite hangout here in Maui, I sold 4 one night, and 2 the other (4 of those were to people that had said they would buy and hadn't yet done so). Then the lady that takes care of the house we rent bought 1, bringing my grand total for print to 100! At last a milestone number... w00t! :hooray:

As for ebooks, I haven't fared that well. Besides the former 6 sold, I've sold only 2 so far this month. Even so, I'm maintaining an attitude of gratitude; writing, writing, writing (as Merri would say) and looking forward to getting that one published when it's ready.

I've been checking in on you whenever I get a chance, and hope all of you are staying happy and healthy. Blessings!

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Happy 100th sale, Ann!!! A great reason to celebrate. I don't remember if you put your e-book in Select or not. It can help with initial sales and get you listed with the "also boughts." The e-book cannot be available anywhere else on the web in digital format for 90 days. Then you can reassess. Sorry I can't remember if you've already tried this avenue.

Enjoy Maui!!! And, yes, keep writing, writing, writing!

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Happy 100th sale, Ann!!! A great reason to celebrate. I don't remember if you put your e-book in Select or not. It can help with initial sales and get you listed with the "also boughts." The e-book cannot be available anywhere else on the web in digital format for 90 days. Then you can reassess. Sorry I can't remember if you've already tried this avenue.

Enjoy Maui!!! And, yes, keep writing, writing, writing!

Thank you, my friend! Yes, my ebook is in select, but alas, *whispering here* > I think that first review did a real number on my sales. < *end of whispering* I have had a couple of good ones since, and I'm so thankful for them, but it may take a few more to make any difference. So, taking the advice given here, I'm going to get the next ebook up sometime in the spring/summer and hope that helps. Meanwhile, we keep smiling, right? ;)

I'm enjoying Maui tremendously, thank you. Very rejuvenating for me, and I seem to have less pain here.

So glad to hear your move is behind you. All the best!

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I really don't believe one review makes or breaks a book. Heck, the first book in my first romance trilogy has the lowest star ratings of almost all my books yet I am still seeing sales over a year later. A reader caught up with me in January of this year to say how much she loved the trilogy and the sequel (and reminded me that I said my second sequel would be finished by the end of 2012). You just never know. We do our very best, learn more about our craft, and write the next book.

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
Congrats on 100!

And no, I don't think a bad review makes a difference. If it talked about horrible typos and such, maybe. My two bestselling books I have out, the first started out the gate with a 3 star and had only that until a 5 star on ARe. Amazon still has the 3. The other got 1 stars on ARe, SMashwords and I think Amazon. But it continues to sell a few copies every month and got me a 5 star last week.

Reviews can be fun to look at, but opinions are like...you know ;)

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the congrats, Ada and Erika. Hitting that 100 feels good! ;)

tracivermillion

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on all that you accomplished. We have some similarities. How weird is it that I too got bit by a spider and spent a year in bed? It was during this time that I started writing in order to try and distract myself from the pain. I still don't know if it was the bite, or the tetanus shot that make me so sick. I now have periphial neuropathy in my feet and just got off of pain and anxiety meds. I'm slowly on the mend. Good luck!

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Ann!

Congrats on the reaching the 100 mark, great news. Hope you enjoy the break in Maui with your friends and family.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on all that you accomplished. We have some similarities. How weird is it that I too got bit by a spider and spent a year in bed? It was during this time that I started writing in order to try and distract myself from the pain. I still don't know if it was the bite, or the tetanus shot that make me so sick. I now have periphial neuropathy in my feet and just got off of pain and anxiety meds. I'm slowly on the mend. Good luck!

Thanks, Traci. Sorry to hear about your bug bite and so happy to hear that you are on the mend. I hope you will get a complete healing in your feet. It's a nasty business. I'm still working it all out myself. I'm finally down to 6 methotrexate pills once a week, plus 3mg of prednisone every day (don't know if you're familiar with those drugs, but they are bad - especially long term). I am very determined to get off of them eventually.

Thanks for offering me congratulations. Appreciate it. Blessings!

Status
Not open for further replies.