The Missiletoe Command Arcade & Slushy Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Happiness is a purring kitty, gently kneading your arm as he sleeps on your chest. :e2cloud9:

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
Ugh, why am I not editing? COME ON.

Can someone whip me into editing shape?

You got it, lady.

:whip:

Now, I need to get to drafting...

I got up nice and early today, had a hot shower, made coffee... I'm defrosting a bagel. That's how we're rollin' this Sunday.

Heh. I like it.

I got up early because of a fever. :cry: BUT I'm doing better now. I'm all sorts of beat up from my intermediate Muay Thai seminar yesterday (basically it was a five-hour intro to sparring class). My legs are so bruised and my shoulders hurt badly. Wearing boxing gloves for that long may be too much for me at this point. After yesterday, I've determined three hours may be my cardio limit.

I did the Target run this morning and restocked the house. I took care of blog posts for today and tomorrow. Now, I really should be writing instead of whining about my bruised up body.

Whining aside, sparring was super fun. There will likely be a writing application to it that will develop into a blog post.

Just got the phone call. Mom's coming home!!!!!

:hooray::hooray::hooray:

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And here I am still using MS Word and ZenWriter for my writerly needs...

I left Pages for Scrivener. We're still in the honeymoon phase. Pages tells me he'll be here. Just sitting in the corner. Whenever I need him.

Notepad++ mocks Scrivener, steals Microsoft Word's lunch money, and beats up OOffice...

<--- yWriter and Scrivener

This is a very appropriate conversation for me. I've been using Word 2011 for Mac and it's a crash monster. Recorded a dozen crashes yesterday during edits. I'm now looking into other programs since there is no way I am writing a story with it. I shall research ALL THE WRITING SOFTWARE!

What are your all's thoughts on Time Travel stories? Done to death?

Nah. Anything well written is worth reading. And hooray for you Mom, Junely.

Howdy gang.

Whut up?

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Hihi, all. Glad to hear your mom is headed home, Junely. :)

Whining aside, sparring was super fun. There will likely be a writing application to it that will develop into a blog post.

Dude. You're hardcore. :Wha:

Sounds awesome, but omg hard.

This is a very appropriate conversation for me. I've been using Word 2011 for Mac and it's a crash monster. Recorded a dozen crashes yesterday during edits. I'm now looking into other programs since there is no way I am writing a story with it. I shall research ALL THE WRITING SOFTWARE!

It's still crashing? Ugh. :( Have you tried reinstalling? Not sure what else to try if you've done permissions and updates and such.

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You got it, lady.

:whip:

Now, I need to get to drafting...

I was going to make a coherent post but then I saw Kweei's avatar and I djhdsafjek fjd fsljl.

Yes. Hers, and yours, too :e2brows:

I used to want nothing to do with anything else than Word. yWriter is the way to go for me now. One of its neatest options is the typewriter sound, which is awesome. For some reason, though, I still start stories in Word. But after the first couple of pages, I transfer to yW (which is super easy).

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Hooray for your mom, Junely!

Chelsea, you're a BADASS.

Would you be able to complete edits in another program, or would you only switch for composition? With as many horror stories as I hear, I'm constantly afeared that Word is going to eat my, er, words.

Andelana

Registered
Reaction score

This is why I've stuck with 2008 at work and here. Sad to hear it's still crashing. Is that even with service packs? Which version of MacOS are you running? Just wondering whether I should even try to upgrade people at work or just skip over that version all together and wait for the next one...

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Huzzah for your mom, Junely!

Fen, I too recommend F&SF. I've been rejected there twice. :) But I'll still keep sending when I have something to send. They have a good turn-around for a hard-copy only submission place.

After church, I stood in line for 45 minutes for tacos from the Pgh Taco Truck. Well worth the cold legs and frozen toes. I also had an amazing orange maple cappuccino from The Coffee Buddha. I adore where I live. Absolutely adore.

Today I need to clean up the disaster in the guest bedroom, as my brother will be here at 5:30. And then I need to work on a short story. The one that I plotted. :eek: We'll see if this new fangled plotting thing works for me.

Oh! I kinda like 3D. I also really liked the 48 frames thing, once my brain settled down and accepted watching something that freaking clear on a movie screen.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
There's a really famous story about a character going back in time and becoming his own father, then having a sex change and becoming his own mother, and... it gets very complex very quickly. That, to me, is the definition of timey wimey. :)

That, to me, is the definition of creepy-eepy.

Not from Boston, but from the state :)

Same here.

Hugs to Fen. :Hug2: Rejections suck.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Just got the phone call. Mom's coming home!!!!!

Great to hear.

ION: I still haven't started writing. I'm going to try in a few minutes. This is the same chapter I got hung up on when I fell into my slump. I'm starting to think it was this chapter that caused it. I'm usually so good at writing fight scenes but this one is killing me. Too many characters to place. I just want to move on in the worse way.

IOON: If anyone here like Cadbury Creme Eggs (I don't, sadly) you might enjoy this. It's a friend of a friend's recipe.

Andelana

Registered
Reaction score
(...)I'm starting to think it was this chapter that caused it. I'm usually so good at writing fight scenes but this one is killing me. Too many characters to place. I just want to move on in the worse way.

Why not just write a little bit of place-holder text and come back to it later instead of feeling stuck? (Epic battle here. Character Y dies. Everyone is sad except the bad guys, who laugh like it's funny. Jerks.)

IOON: If anyone here like Cadbury Creme Eggs (I don't, sadly) you might enjoy this. It's a friend of a friend's recipe.

I can't eat a whole one without feeling a little sick because they're so sweet, but this might be all right without the egg on top (or maybe just half o' one)... *wanders off pondering milkshake recipes*[SUP]1[/SUP]

[SUP]1[/SUP] OK... Really, I'm retyping a few pages into the computer that I did on the typewriter a while back... But I might be pondering milkshakes underneath that!

Black-Marlin

Avoiding cliches like the plague
Registered
Reaction score
Website
starlingford.wordpress.com
What are your all's thoughts on Time Travel stories? Done to death?

A comment by Bettie made me think about this. I have a time travel story idea (well, characters and set up) in my notebook that has literally been there for 18 years, waiting. One of these days I'd like to trot it out and use it.

At the risk of offending those of a sensitive disposition, time-travel stories are a complete and utter bastard to write. I'm writing one at the minute and, if I may offer two salient observations:

1) You can't pants it. You just can't. It won't work. You need to know, in advance, how things work, otherwise you will generate plot-holes the size of which will require dedicated teams of cartographers to properly explore.

2) Failing to thoroughly understand the implications of point 1 stopped me dead in my tracks for the better part of a year. I had to go back, re-edit and re-draft two other novels in order to pre-empt and resolve forthcoming continuity errors. If you get it right (and believe me, it's a helluva big 'if') it's totes amazeballs, and you get to enjoy the sight of otherwise-intelligent people scrabbling around mystified until it all clicks (audibly!) in their head and they look at you with wide-eyed wonder. (Time travel stories are the best source I know of 'Fridge Logic' moments). If, however, you get it wrong, your readers will be mystified and then annoyed. Don't get it wrong!

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Why not just write a little bit of place-holder text and come back to it later instead of feeling stuck? (Epic battle here. Character Y dies. Everyone is sad except the bad guys, who laugh like it's funny. Jerks.)
Well a solution sort of just presented itself to me while I was preparing to further expand the scene. Sort of a "Oh, yeah. That does make more sense," solution. I'm still not thrilled with the chapter but at least it's progressing. But now I'm burned out. When I struggle, I can only write in short bursts before I need to recharge. This is why writing takes me forever.

I can't eat a whole one without feeling a little sick because they're so sweet, but this might be all right without the egg on top (or maybe just half o' one)... *wanders off pondering milkshake recipes

I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't mind trying one of the mini eggs either.

Andelana

Registered
Reaction score
But now I'm burned out. When I struggle, I can only write in short bursts before I need to recharge. This is why writing takes me forever.

Yeah, I know that feeling. I can't even work on something else when I'm struggling with a particular story, because I keep coming back to beat my head on that wall. That was one reason I was so glad of the recent story swap - it got me back into the groove of writing because all I could think about was, "OMG, this is due TOMORROW and I've only written two paragraphs. Halp!" :) It really did help and now I'm a bit unstuck on my other story - the book I'd actually like to finish sometime this year - which is also kind of exciting. :)

I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't mind trying one of the mini eggs either.

Oo, yes - I forgot the mini eggs existed! That's a really good idea. Hurrah! :)

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Mom's home. She's still a little confused, but feeling perky.

I, on the other hand, am less than perky. They've radically modified her diet, and that means I must revamp all my recipes, or toss them out in favor of new, low sodium, low carb recipes.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
Finally figured out where my mono riddled brain hid my indigo dyeing notes on my computer, now they are all together in one file and backed up... my latest book is about to be born! :D

Oh to make it SciFi related my FMC is a natural dyer and needed these notes as well! :snoopy:

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
Mom's home. She's still a little confused, but feeling perky.

I, on the other hand, am less than perky. They've radically modified her diet, and that means I must revamp all my recipes, or toss them out in favor of new, low sodium, low carb recipes.

Aside from low carb low sodium what kind of diet did they put her on? Low sodium is easy if your cooking from scratch just don't salt the food until it hits the table, tis what I did for hubs when his bp hit something like 289/120 something. No salt, chips, cold cuts, or soda pop for him, it's under control now.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's still crashing? Ugh. :( Have you tried reinstalling? Not sure what else to try if you've done permissions and updates and such.

Yeah, it's frustrating. Did the permissions thing to no avail. I may try re-installing, but the Interwebz is chocked full of tales that Word 2011 for Mac is a buggy jerk.

Crud.

I used to want nothing to do with anything else than Word. yWriter is the way to go for me now. One of its neatest options is the typewriter sound, which is awesome. For some reason, though, I still start stories in Word. But after the first couple of pages, I transfer to yW (which is super easy).

I had yW5 on my old laptop. Played with it a little, but honestly never stuck with it because I was too lazy to switch from Word.

I am completely rethinking that at this point.

Would you be able to complete edits in another program, or would you only switch for composition? With as many horror stories as I hear, I'm constantly afeared that Word is going to eat my, er, words.

Since Ye' Olde Editor is using Track Changes, I'm sticking with Word, but I'm going to have to find something to hammer out new stuff with because I don't want to lose a page worth of words again.

This is why I've stuck with 2008 at work and here. Sad to hear it's still crashing. Is that even with service packs? Which version of MacOS are you running? Just wondering whether I should even try to upgrade people at work or just skip over that version all together and wait for the next one...

So far, the 2011 seems to be awful. Lots of reports of issues. I've been all over the Mac and Windows sites and the general response seems to be mostly finger pointing between MS and Apple on who is at fault, but with little in the way of good advice for correcting. I may just find something completely different to install.

*smokes cigarette following hot Internet date*

;)

Wouldn't that be electronic cigarettes since it was a digital date?

Status
Not open for further replies.