The Missiletoe Command Arcade & Slushy Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
This is a very appropriate conversation for me. I've been using Word 2011 for Mac and it's a crash monster. Recorded a dozen crashes yesterday during edits. I'm now looking into other programs since there is no way I am writing a story with it. I shall research ALL THE WRITING SOFTWARE!

Nah. Anything well written is worth reading. And hooray for you Mom, Junely.

Howdy gang.

Whut up?

I didn't even know that Office 2011 was out already, I'm still using Office 2010. My most recent pet peeve is I have two PC's with Win7 on them and they both blue screen after updating. The PC's with XP don't do this. Anyone have an idea as to why?

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*smokes cigarette following hot Internet date*

;)

*coincidentally does the very same thing*

I had yW5 on my old laptop. Played with it a little, but honestly never stuck with it because I was too lazy to switch from Word.

I am completely rethinking that at this point.

Since Ye' Olde Editor is using Track Changes, I'm sticking with Word, but I'm going to have to find something to hammer out new stuff with because I don't want to lose a page worth of words again.

Doooooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeet. *enables*

Seriously, yW is awesome. I hearts it.

*edits moar*

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Mom's home. She's still a little confused, but feeling perky.

I, on the other hand, am less than perky. They've radically modified her diet, and that means I must revamp all my recipes, or toss them out in favor of new, low sodium, low carb recipes.

So glad she's home and feeling better, Junely!

Low-carb and low-sodium aren't too bad. I bet you can modify your recipes fairly straightforwardly. :) Just remember brown over white - wholemeal flour, brown rice, cut back on potatoes (mashed cauliflower is really good! Not gonna tell you it tastes of potatoes, it doesn't, but it does fill that space) - and don't salt the pot, wait until it gets to the table. My dad is a notorious over-salter, so that was one I learned early on in a bid to try and help him be a little healthier. :) And, well, you know me - if you want any recipes to try, just give me a holler. :)

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
*coincidentally does the very same thing*

Doooooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeet. *enables*

Seriously, yW is awesome. I hearts it.

*edits moar*

I watched a video on how to use it last night. Maybe you could start a thread here to teach us luddites how to use the program, I admit some of it still escapes me it's not nearly as intuitive as I'd like. For instance why can't I cut and paste into the silly thing!

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Since Ye' Olde Editor is using Track Changes, I'm sticking with Word, but I'm going to have to find something to hammer out new stuff with because I don't want to lose a page worth of words again.

Can you install an older version that doesn't have these bugs? Not a very good solution, but good lord do I ever hate the idea of losing words or changes.

Wouldn't that be electronic cigarettes since it was a digital date?

Like, a cigarette you plug into the wall?

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to find a good picture of a character's alternate appearance that satisfies me is hard. Especially one without compression artifacts. Curse you, JPGs!

:Soapbox:

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Random question to anyone who knows: If I really enjoyed reading War of the Worlds, what are the odds I'm going to really enjoy reading H.G. Wells' other stuff too?

Because I love that book but I don't want to take a plunge and blow some of my preciously little supply of money on his other works only to find out I don't so much love him as an author, I just love that one particular book and don't like all the rest.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
Random question to anyone who knows: If I really enjoyed reading War of the Worlds, what are the odds I'm going to really enjoy reading H.G. Wells' other stuff too?

Because I love that book but I don't want to take a plunge and blow some of my preciously little supply of money on his other works only to find out I don't so much love him as an author, I just love that one particular book and don't like all the rest.

Well of your getting the eBooks I managed to get all of his works for free through amazon.

K-

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Happiness is a purring kitty, gently kneading your arm as he sleeps on your chest. :e2cloud9:

I'd bet that you could replace "kitty" with many different things.

Along with "she" instead of "he". :D

IOON: If anyone here like Cadbury Creme Eggs (I don't, sadly) you might enjoy this. It's a friend of a friend's recipe.

I'm split between "this sounds like a sweet idea (hahah, sweet)" and "eating Creme Eggs in any way other than by themselves is blasphemous".

Wouldn't that be electronic cigarettes since it was a digital date?

Wow, they have electronic everythings...

Though I imagine one would be a good stop-smoking aid if it tazed your tongue. XD

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
Dude. You're hardcore. :Wha:

Sounds awesome, but omg hard.

LOL. Thanks. It was one of those days when I'm reminded I'm at an intermediate level and not advanced. The advanced students still got tired, but remained fast and ninja-y the whole time.

Chelsea, you're a BADASS.

<3

Would you be able to complete edits in another program, or would you only switch for composition?

I've dabbled with Scrivener, but always find it not quite right for drafting. I'm thinking it could be great during my editing process, though.

:whip: Keep going.

How often do you have it set to auto-save? I draft in Word, too, and have it auto-save every three minutes. You may still lose something, but it's not as painful.

I also keep all my working files on Dropbox, so that if it's the whole computer that goes down, at least my words are safe elsewhere.

ION: I still have a fever. After taking a fever reducer. Damn it. Hubs and I are debating if I'm either getting sick (again!) or if my body is just working really hard to recover from getting beat-up more than usual yesterday. :rant:

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aaaaand time for sleeps.

Goodnight, Cantina. Don't do anything Hillary wouldn't do.

Black-Marlin

Avoiding cliches like the plague
Registered
Reaction score
Website
starlingford.wordpress.com
*cranks up the gunship's engines, unstows main batteries for'd and aft, opens outer launch alley doors, sets AI to local defence settings, waves sleepily at the Cantinites, and mosies off to his bunk*

G'night folks.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
The middle two are arthouse documentaries - in Pina, 3D really does make a difference with dance sequences.

So not my taste. :) I suppose dance is a better fit for the technology though.

The directors I'd like to see having a go at 3D are the ones who go for long sequence shots - but Theo Angelopoulos is dead and Béla Tarr has retired, and no one would have given them the money to shoot in 3D anyway. But from the sound of it, the forthcoming Gravity (directed by Alfonso Cuarón) may be an example of what I just suggested.

Alejandro Jodorowsky would be able to do something amazing, and I can imagine that - given the right film - Scorsese would be able to make me pay attention to the film rather than the 3D (which is a constant problem), but most of the people I would like to see tackle it are either retired or dead. I'm sure Kurosawa would have loved a new toy to play with...

I keep a spreadsheet, and I recently passed 1700 DVDs/Blu-rays.

About a third of my collection are films nobody wants to watch... And yes, I have nearly everything that The Asylum have churned out. I will pay for my sins eventually, I am sure... :D

The Man Who Folded Himself, by David Gerrold?

That's the one. I remember it being confusing, annoying and fascinating in equal measures.

Actually, that's kind of where I was going with 'fully immersive' :) (and I meant, re: cloverfield, that they could have done away with the handheld if they'd been able to do holodeck-style 3D; or effectively that, in that the audience member would be in the middle of the action instead of in front of it... Hm. I can picture in my head what I mean, but I'm not sure I can explain it. :) )

That film wasn't vomit-inducing enough? :Wha:

:roll:

Just got the phone call. Mom's coming home!!!!!

Yay. Hopefully everything goes well. :)

That, to me, is the definition of creepy-eepy.

It isn't, by any stretch of the imagination, the ickiest book I have here. There are some from the late forties and early fifties which were properly sold "under the counter", and have suitably lurid cover paintings - they are more collectible as pieces of historical art than literature these days, and for very good reason.

1) You can't pants it. You just can't. It won't work. You need to know, in advance, how things work, otherwise you will generate plot-holes the size of which will require dedicated teams of cartographers to properly explore.

Oh gods... Yes, yes, and yes - working out the primary and tertiary alterations to the timeline, and the number of times the same thing can be shown again... it is hard enough to read some time-travel books, but writing one? it may be the death of me.

As far as I am concerned, all of his SF is amazing. His non-fiction is... less entertaining (though full of little bits of business which are just as interesting, but very, very different).

You don't have to spend a lot...

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
I am SO sleepy today. Not sure what the problem is, but the cats aren't helping. I swear they are encouraging me to nap with them. :mad:

I didn't even know that Office 2011 was out already, I'm still using Office 2010. My most recent pet peeve is I have two PC's with Win7 on them and they both blue screen after updating. The PC's with XP don't do this. Anyone have an idea as to why?

2011 is Mac only. I guess they release in different years than the Windows versions.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
As far as I am concerned, all of his SF is amazing. His non-fiction is... less entertaining (though full of little bits of business which are just as interesting, but very, very different).
I've yet to find a non-fiction book I can genuinely call entertaining. Interesting, certainly. But not entertaining.

But I like actually owning the things that I read.

And I can't read off a computer screen and maintain focus on the writing.

And I just like to be a completionist.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I have lots of non-fic I love dearly, and am massively entertained by. You are obviously reading the wrong books. :D

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
As promised to Fen:

swagger.jpg

His name is Swagger. He's a mixed breed that I adopted. You can't see it in this screenshot, but his mane is actually braided on the other side.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Books on physics are interesting, books on chemistry are entertaining. :D

You sound like my dad. :)

I don't really read all that many science nonfiction. I'm more about history, myself.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As promised to Fen:

swagger.jpg

His name is Swagger. He's a mixed breed that I adopted. You can't see it in this screenshot, but his mane is actually braided on the other side.

Awww.

Goodnight all. Sleep well. Or nap well.

Status
Not open for further replies.