New to the genre, looking for suggestions...

irenadel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
teobath.blogspot.com
I've got to write a Western for next year, a short story and I've never written anything in that genre. But it's even worse... I've never read anything in that genre!

And wikipedia is recommending Louis L'Amour but those are novels...

So my question, good people of the Westerns, is, which short stories should I start with? If I'm new to the genre and I'd like to check out the classics, what can I get?

I'd just like a bit of good old-fashioned inspiration. I'd like stories that would help me get a feel for the classic genre. I thought this was the best place to ask!

I'd also like to know if any of you knows of a good book of Old West folklore, ghosts and ghoulies and other creepy crawlies. Cryptozoolgy sounds good too!

Thanks for your help!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Louis L'Amour also wrote a ton of short stories, and has several collections available.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Early last year we had a Western short story contest here. Take a look at the Western Share Your Work forum (password if prompted = vista) and check out the stories that were submitted by members, and the discussion thread. They're stickied at the top of the forum.

-Derek

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Louis L'Amour also wrote a number of short stories. You can find collections of them in mass market paperback form.

irenadel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
teobath.blogspot.com
Oh yeah, I've been poking around and the story contests are pretty nifty. I'd like something really classical to begin with though, before going for what is new in the genre (and people in this forum are DEFINITELY going to be avant garde)

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Wow! Thanks! I'd been poking around his bio but all I saw was his enormous list of novels. Now you pointed me in the right direction to google search!

Any other classic Western authors you may like?

There's a bunch of Zane Gray shorts available.

And for sheer fun, Robert E Howard (the creator of Conan) wrote some great straight westerns, and also a clutch of weird westerns featuring the folklore of the old west.

irenadel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
teobath.blogspot.com
There's a bunch of Zane Gray shorts available.

And for sheer fun, Robert E Howard (the creator of Conan) wrote some great straight westerns, and also a clutch of weird westerns featuring the folklore of the old west.
OMG! Robert E Howard wrote weird west!? That is the best news EVER! >____> I totally knew this was the right place to ask!!

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I would recommend any collection of Elmore Leonard's short stories. The Complete Western Stories of Elmore Leonard, the most thorough edition, is available in both hardcover and paperback.

irenadel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
teobath.blogspot.com
I know this was like ages ago but I wanted to thank everyone for their recommendations! Thanks to them I didn't just finish my short story but also managed to co-write a couple of short Western comics!

Thank you everyone! You were incredibly helpful! As soon as the volume is assembled I'll post some pictures because I really couldn't have done it without your help!