The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I. Am. Such. A. Dork.

I subbed my sub1 this morning. But I accidentally hit enter before I'd pasted my text into the online sub form. :eek:

I redid it. But...dammit!!!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I. Am. Such. A. Dork.

I subbed my sub1 this morning. But I accidentally hit enter before I'd pasted my text into the online sub form. :eek:

I redid it. But...dammit!!!
Heheh.

Once, when i was looking for a job, i applied for an office admin job where one of the skills mentioned in the ad was 'great organizational skills.' Except i forgot to attach my CV to the email. Oops.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
All right, stupid question.

"Apocalypse."

It has come to mean, pretty much to the exclusion of its original meaning, the end of the world. But the actual definition is one of revelation. From Wikipedia: An Apocalypse (Greek: ἀποκάλυψις apokálypsis; "lifting of the veil" or "revelation") is a disclosure of something hidden from the majority of mankind in an era dominated by falsehood and misconception, i.e. the veil to be lifted.

So, in that context, two questions:
1) as a reader, if Apocalypse was used very specifically in reference to the original meaning, would that be ridiculously confusing?
2) if it was used in the sense of the end of the world, in a science fiction context where there are many, many worlds, is the end of one insufficient to feel apocalyptic, or would you tend to assume that apocalypse in that sense would have to encompass the end of the world of man, ie, all the physical worlds mankind inhabits?

Just sort of tossing around stupid ideas and curious about interpretations/expectations around that word.

Thanks! (-:

-Suzanne

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Added 1400 to my long story (a brand-new PoV!). Fairly happy with it, even. Over 55k words on this! o_O
Yay, Rose! :snoopy:

So, in that context, two questions:
1) as a reader, if Apocalypse was used very specifically in reference to the original meaning, would that be ridiculously confusing?
Possibly. Though i'm familiar with the original meaning, i'm far more used to seeing it in general usage as referring to the end of the world.
2) if it was used in the sense of the end of the world, in a science fiction context where there are many, many worlds, is the end of one insufficient to feel apocalyptic, or would you tend to assume that apocalypse in that sense would have to encompass the end of the world of man, ie, all the physical worlds mankind inhabits?
Depends on the context. If the story is being told from the POV of the inhabitant of the world about to end, or someone with strong connections to that world, it wouldn't feel insufficient, but it might otherwise. Maybe. But possibly not.

:D One of my special talents is appearing to be helpful while actually not being at all.

In other news, of the 2300 words i wrote yesterday, i've scratched the first 600 today. But i haven't deleted them yet, because they're still useful to me. They just won't be needed in the finished product.

ETA: Also, last night i changed my blog/site theme. I wouldn't mind owning the iphone in the header ;)

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
One of my special talents is appearing to be helpful while actually not being at all.

ETA: Also, last night i changed my blog/site theme. I wouldn't mind owning the iphone in the header

Actually that is kinda helpful, because that matches my own sort of vaguely ambiguous feelings about it, which I think means I can do whatever I want. (-:

Blog looks spiffy. Didn't know about Bull Spec being pro, so also handy! TFS,

-Suzanne

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

1) I think it would be too confusing. Few people realize the original meaning and, as a writer, you want to do your best and make sure that the reader is getting your meaning. I'd stick with the end of the world description.

2) I think destroying a single world warranties the usage :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Well, the story i started two days ago isn't going as well as i'd like it to. And, i've yet to write any new stories this month. However...

i'm about to start a new story, one i've been meaning to write for a year or two. Fairly simple, as stories go, and it's also not spec-fic. But it'll be good to get it written, and without w1s1 it probably would've stayed on the to-do list forever.

So, hoo-rah!

Now i must race to write The Race.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
:popcorn: Sounds interesting, Izz. Not spec-fic, huh?

You got a market picked out yet?

No pressure :D I'm just curious.
As a matter of fact, i do. It's a local print magazine: NZ Listener (hmm--it appears they no longer take electronic subs. oh well).

In related news: the story is written. 1700-ish words, written in two hours (i napped for an hour in there as well--so it went one hour and a bit, nap, forty-five minutes). That's one w1s1 story done for the month. Just need to pull the other one out from somewhere.

Last edited:

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I was full of idea goodness today. :D

I had ideas for how to fix broken stories, I had ideas for two (maybe three) new stories, and even outlined a little on them. :e2woo:

So, I'm not going into May blindly. I was worried I'd spend half the month thinking about *what* to write about :rolleyes: but looks like I will have something to work with after all.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I was full of idea goodness today. I had ideas for how to fix broken stories, I had ideas for two (maybe three) new stories, and even outlined a little on them.

Hey, cool, good for you! I love days like that (-:

-Suzanne

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score

I had ideas for how to fix broken stories, I had ideas for two (maybe three) new stories, and even outlined a little on them. :e2woo:

So, I'm not going into May blindly. I was worried I'd spend half the month thinking about *what* to write about :rolleyes: but looks like I will have something to work with after all.

Broken-fixy ideas are AWESOME.

WTG!

Shelley

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com

Yay!!

Sounds like a great day! :Sun:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
The end of April is only a few days away.

How's your writing gone this month?

Me: averagely. I've yet to submit my two new stories for the month, but they're all ready to go. I'm just waiting on a couple markets to be done with the stories i've got at them now so i can send these new ones to them.

On the writing front, i've written one short (all of 1700 words) and started a couple others, but neither of those have progressed quite how i want them to, so they've been semi-put aside. I am one story ahead for the year, so if i don't happen to write a second new story this month, i'll fall back to even. But i'd prefer to get a new one down.

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wayofthewriter.blogspot.com
I'm gearing up for the Shock Totem May challenge. It will probably be half my Ray Lite in May.

I've got two sci fi stories that I've submitted for critiques. One of them will go to the Writer's of the Future contest for a very long wait.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
The end of April is only a few days away.

How's your writing gone this month?

Not nearly as well as March, that's for sure. The first week was great - two stories, each of which came out rather well. Since, though, I've just scraped in a revision/reworking of a piece from last month (Leaving Love) that I'm happy I'm finished with for now but not necessarily happy with and two flash pieces, both of which are unedited and one of which is awful.

jgold

Grinning
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all!

If you're interested, it's almost time for the Shock Totem flash contest beginning May 1. Details are here.

Good luck and hope to see you there! :)

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I believe participation in that challenge was a condition you set for me when I twisted your arm to join Write1Sub1, J.
:D So, I guess I'm in. I'll head over and sign up soon.

I seriously need the practice. And a tight deadline to force me to not only write a story, but polish it enough to post/show it. I haven't done so in awhile.