Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelseyBlair

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chelseyblair.com
Guys!! I have two fulls out for GHOST LIGHT. Not only that, but one of them came half an hour after I'd sent the query--so often those quick responses are rejections, so that was super-exciting!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
WTG, Chelsey!

Got a partial request from M9B for H/V today. :D

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
My goodreads giveaway ends at midnight :)

I have some projects coming up soon, and some edits, but lately have just been summarizing and finding names for a sequel!

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
I would agree that is probably Month 9 Books. Good luck, Sage.

Kim, I may need to scroll back to your Goodreads giveaway. I have been blinded by my first publication and subsequently learned I have ignored Goodreads far too much!

Dragon, I am amused by the covers in your siggie. They are increasing. Keep working on that series.

Congrats on the quick full request, Chelsey. You have something going on.

I am breathing a giant sigh of relief tonight. Sometime after DIVIDED MOON was contracted, my critique group brought in a new member, who lives in Laos. This is the country of origin for Moon's parents in DIVIDED MOON, and the source of the traditions that make her life hell.

This new critique member has pretty intimate knowledge of this stuff. I researched as well as I could, but frankly, I made up a bunch of stuff!

She is reading the book and said it reminded her of the young Hmong girls she sees in Laos, and she could see them having these problems in America. It reads authentic! I could not be more pleased. More than anything else in the world, I wanted this book to be an authentic experience for a Hmong American girl.

Which is a small demographic, but could be a learning experience for kids. I want to become the next Linda Sue Park, but with sex and violence in my books.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Sage! Yay for the request! You've been having some great interest in this book!

Chelsey! wooooohoooooo! YGG!

Anyone else in the tri-state area getting a wee bit freaked out about this storm??!?

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Do any of you guys know the difference between a section break and a page break? I'm working on my second draft and want to do it in proper formatting, but I don't know the difference or which I should use between chapters.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, congrats on the good news everyone!! Good luck with all your submissions!

Kewii, I have no idea. I'm terrible at formatting!

JK, so glad you're book turned out the way you wanted! I can't imagine how excited you must be!

Great things going on for AW'ers! (Looking back, whoa, I used a lot of exclamation points. I guess all the ones I want to use in my ms and can't have to spill out somewhere, ha!)

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Do any of you guys know the difference between a section break and a page break? I'm working on my second draft and want to do it in proper formatting, but I don't know the difference or which I should use between chapters.
For a scene break you can just hit enter, add a "#", then enter again. For a chapter break you can either go to the next page and start the next chapter or skip two lines and then start the chapter there (this is the traditional way, but I think most people use page breaks now)

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Here's what I need to do before November:

- finish typing edits for the R&R and send to betas
- make my Halloween costume
- pick the winners for my LS contest (on Oct. 31)
- refrain from strangling my roommate...I mean, be a grown-up and talk to her like one

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
YAY SAGE AND CHELSEY FOR THE REQUESTS!!!!!! :snoopy:

Sage: wow I can't believe you are almost done with your R&R. Congrats :D and good luck. I'm crossing my fingers

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Well, we'll see what the betas say about how finished I am ;) I'm getting to the beta stage right now.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
For a scene break you can just hit enter, add a "#", then enter again. For a chapter break you can either go to the next page and start the next chapter or skip two lines and then start the chapter there (this is the traditional way, but I think most people use page breaks now)
Yup, I got that part figured out. It's just my Word offers me both page and section break tabs (pressing ctrl enter does nothing for me on my mac), and I wasn't sure if there was a right one to pick. The stuff I read seemed to use the terms interchangeably. I ended up going with the page break.

What you going to be for Halloween? I don't think I'll be dressing up this year. I've gotten lazy about it lately...and we dress up for rugby so much that I just don't feel the need :)

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Do you know what you are going to do for a Halloween costume? When you say make it, do you mean sew?

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
A friend had a list of editorial-related things to do as costumes. Serial commas, dangling prepositions, footnotes, etc. I'm putting them all together. It will be a zero-cost costume. I just have to decide whether to draw on a shirt (usually used for pjs anyway) for the costume

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not dressing up this year. I have nowhere to go, Hubby is traveling for work next week, and the office isn't having a contest. Looks like I'll be sitting at home, handing out candy, and watching Rocky Horror.

Fabor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Washington state of the United States, Earth, in t
JK and Kewii! "The Next Big Thing" blog hop is designed to drum up interest in the book you're working on/or are recently pubbing and generate traffic for your blog-site.

Sounds like quite the good idea. I enjoyed the author's site you pointed to also. Unfortunately I'm not quite ready yet. My blog isn't quite up and running. I spend too much time on my writing.:) Thanks for sharing. I do almost have the, whoops, my first big thing almost ready. Just polishing up my first novel of a new series. Good luck with your publicity.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
For Halloween, I'll be sitting on my front stoop in a worn lawn chair, yelling, "you kids get outta' my yard!"

Hey, everyone on here's doing great these days with everything. Congrats all around. Really. Y'all are a talented bunch.

Alright, last call. I was met with a HUGE wad of indifference about this silly blog-hop idea, but I thought it could prove to be beneficial to everyone. I sorta' strong-armed JustBishop into reigniting her blog with it, but I believe in her. Any other takers? It's easy and could mean more eyes and potential/future/current readers.

Fabor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Washington state of the United States, Earth, in t
Wow, congrats on the good news everyone!! Good luck with all your submissions!

Kewii, I have no idea. I'm terrible at formatting!

JK, so glad you're book turned out the way you wanted! I can't imagine how excited you must be!

Great things going on for AW'ers! (Looking back, whoa, I used a lot of exclamation points. I guess all the ones I want to use in my ms and can't have to spill out somewhere, ha!)

Today is my first time at this thread. It is exciting and fun to see the success of others.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Today is my first time at this thread. It is exciting and fun to see the success of others.

Welcome, Fabor :)

For Halloween, I'll be sitting on my front stoop in a worn lawn chair, yelling, "you kids get outta' my yard!"

Hey, everyone on here's doing great these days with everything. Congrats all around. Really. Y'all are a talented bunch.

Alright, last call. I was met with a HUGE wad of indifference about this silly blog-hop idea, but I thought it could prove to be beneficial to everyone. I sorta' strong-armed JustBishop into reigniting her blog with it, but I believe in her. Any other takers? It's easy and could mean more eyes and potential/future/current readers.

No strong arming needed ;)

I have one tag-ee lined up already. Just have to find one more who hasn't done it yet that I want to promote (not that my blog gets a ton of traffic, but still, lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.