Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
The agent I've been in contact with has now asked whether I'd like to discuss parts of my WIP with her over the phone! Um, yes yes yes! I'm undone by how supportive she's being - if this is how she treats her non-clients, I can't imagine how wonderful she is with her actual clients! I also hope talking to her will help me figure out some of the kinks in my story, such as... well, the entire world-building scheme...

Wow, congrats!!!! And good luck!!! She sounds fabulous.

Last edited:

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
The agent I've been in contact with has now asked whether I'd like to discuss parts of my WIP with her over the phone! Um, yes yes yes! I'm undone by how supportive she's being - if this is how she treats her non-clients, I can't imagine how wonderful she is with her actual clients! I also hope talking to her will help me figure out some of the kinks in my story, such as... well, the entire world-building scheme...

Wow! That's awesome!! Good luck on the call. I would be a nervous wreck!

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score

Hooray! That is fantastic :)

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
casualrungal, that is fantastic! I love this agent and hope she picks you up as a client.

SIK, I am with you on the agent search. I need to get on that. You are lucky enough to have several manuscripts to offer, which are stellar enough to get requests for full. You are ready, my friend.

I keep wishing I get a breakout novel and the agents come looking for me.

Need to get back to writing. People are asking me for more. I wish I wasn't so slow!

Robert L.B.

Tao of Wonka
Registered
Reaction score
2/3 of the way through plotting GM. I think I'll be able to start writing as early as next week after I refine the outline.

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi KSavoie!

What do you guys have planned for this weekend? I am going to continue outlining, and will take a break at some point to check out this artisan ice cream place nearby. I was reading about the flavors and I'm drooling. I also got invited to a YA book swap at a library, I will probably stop by.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Morning all!

That is awesome, congrats and good luck with the call!

Hello all!

Wanted to stop by and say hello. Seeing as I haven't been a teen for a couple of years, I now fit into the "old people" category! =]

But I just wanted to say hi to everybody!

Welcome, KSavoie. :) What're you working on?

What do you guys have planned for this weekend? I am going to continue outlining, and will take a break at some point to check out this artisan ice cream place nearby. I was reading about the flavors and I'm drooling. I also got invited to a YA book swap at a library, I will probably stop by.

Mmm, ice cream. Sounds like a nice weekend.

I'm gonna continue bashing away at my first draft and beta reading a friends novel, I think. I wish I was a faster beta... I feel like I'm constantly letting my writing friends down with my slow beta-reading speed (starting to become two months for a full).

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
I should get over 50K on my first draft this weekend. I have to interview a cop first, just to make sure these scenes are going down realistically.

I already know I need to make some changes. If I follow Hemingway's method, I should reread the entire manuscript and fix those seams. Debating doing that or powering through to the end and save it for revisions.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!

Wanted to stop by and say hello. Seeing as I haven't been a teen for a couple of years, I now fit into the "old people" category! =]

But I just wanted to say hi to everybody!

:welcome: Hello!! Great to have you!

I will be working on my ending this weekend. I've got two or three chapters left to re-do, plus some little tweaks throughout.

Hubby wants to spring clean the garage through (we had a Black Widow problem last year), so we'll see how much writing I actually get done vs what I want to do.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com

That's super exciting! Yay!

KSavoie, welcome!

And Stiger? Black widows? :scared: SOOOO not okay in my world. I'm not sure they're okay even just mentioned being in someone *else's* garage... I've seen one exactly once, chilling inside a grill at the camp I worked at. We let the crazy facilities guy deal with it.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
We found 40 or so in our garage last summer, Jess. Spiders freak out my husband, so I had to do most of the dirty work. Even I thought it was pretty creepy and I don't mind spiders, but I'd prefer a Black Widow to a Brown Recluse any day. At least the Widows stay away from people!

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
I should get over 50K on my first draft this weekend. I have to interview a cop first, just to make sure these scenes are going down realistically.

I already know I need to make some changes. If I follow Hemingway's method, I should reread the entire manuscript and fix those seams. Debating doing that or powering through to the end and save it for revisions.

Sounds like we're in pretty similar places with our work (although mine doesn't require any cop-interviewing, though. Way to go for it with your research!)

It's hard to decide whether to go back and make changes now, or save them for later. Let me know what you decide! I'm still torn...

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
We found 40 or so in our garage last summer, Jess. Spiders freak out my husband, so I had to do most of the dirty work. Even I thought it was pretty creepy and I don't mind spiders, but I'd prefer a Black Widow to a Brown Recluse any day. At least the Widows stay away from people!

Dear God. I'm an arachnophobe, I would freak out if there were 40 black widows anywhere near me. You are very brave!

Good luck getting to 50K and with your research. I'm in a similar boat, I will need to interview a cop, a homicide detective, and criminal lawyers for my WIP.

Freyja

Registered
Reaction score
I just wrote my first kissing scene!
Yay for kissing scenes! So much fun to write.
So. Tomorrow I enter the scary world of agent querying, a realm I've not yet entered!
Good luck. Crossing my fingers for you!
I think the universe is listening to me ;) Last night I got another partial request
That is awesome!
The agent I've been in contact with has now asked whether I'd like to discuss parts of my WIP with her over the phone!
That's great. Sound like an awesome agent. Good luck with the call!
2/3 of the way through plotting GM.
Yay!
Hello all!
Hi!!
We found 40 or so in our garage last summer, Jess.
40!?! You are brave. I run from spiders.

Happy writing all!

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome! I hope the conversation will go smoothly.
#
Also want to share this link which was given in another thread.
http://www.sparringmind.com/productivity-science/
This is about productivity, and it's full of win. Not precisely new, but it has all the active recent theories put together in a sharp, robust, structured, useful way.
I already created an Accountability Chart for my current wip.

FMAnderson

Knocking his head against the wall.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
empirenevadathenovel.wordpress.com
Holy crap! I entered the Write On Con Pitch Contest on a lark after a bit of inspiration improved my pitch. I expected a nobody to be assigned to me, but now Mollie Glick, of Foundry Media will be advising me on it. That doesn't mean I have an official agent yet, but it'll definitely help and could lead to more good things!

http://www.foundrymedia.com/team/mollie

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Holy crap! I entered the Write On Con Pitch Contest on a lark after a bit of inspiration improved my pitch. I expected a nobody to be assigned to me, but now Mollie Glick, of Foundry Media will be advising me on it. That doesn't mean I have an official agent yet, but it'll definitely help and could lead to more good things!

Congrats! :hooray:

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score

I just posted in the WriteOnCon thread that I got my assignment too! Do you know what exactly they're going to do? Just general feedback on your query?

Status
Not open for further replies.