Is it hard for you abandon a book you're not enjoying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asha Leu

Registered
Reaction score
I went through a period where I just had to finish any book, especially if it was anything of literary "importance" . From around 2010 to 2013, I think the only book I abandoned partway through was James Joyce's Ullyses, once I realised maybe a quarter or a third of the way in that I had gone over a hundred pages without the faintest idea of what was happening.

It was after wasting roughly five weeks slogging through Kim Stanley Robinson's Antartica that I came to the conclusion that life was much too short to be wasting it reading books I couldn't stand, especially when I could have read six or seven good books in the same time period.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Once upon a time, I'd see the book through.
Now, not so much.
Time is precious.
It doesn't mean it was a bad book, just that it didn't grab/hold my interest.
Some ARE terrible, but some poor bloke put his/her soul into writing it--I need to believe this--so I don't jump online and leave crappy reviews. I just put the dust jacket back on, and shelve it.
I've also had where, I hated the first handful of chapters, shelved the thing, and years later opened it back up, unable to put it down. Huh. Wonder what's up with that.

Threak 17

Registered
Reaction score
Nowadays, I just don't have either the time, nor the inclination to force myself to finish a book that fails to grab me, or loses me along the way. I give all books a fighting chance, but life is too short, and there are far too many good writers I'll never get to in a perfect world, so, yeah, I'll put down a book that's lacking...

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I used to feel guilty about not finishing a book. But, nowadays, I am finding I have less time and attention span to read, so I don't like wasting time reading a book I dislike or am bored by. Especially when there are so many other books, fanfiction, video games/computer games, comics/manga, and tv shows/movies out there to choose from.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I used to feel guilty about not finishing a book. But, nowadays, I am finding I have less time and attention span to read, so I don't like wasting time reading a book I dislike or am bored by. Especially when there are so many other books, fanfiction, video games/computer games, comics/manga, and tv shows/movies out there to choose from.

Fanfiction is entirely the complete and utter sole reason that my new book is very, very, very late.

But on the other hand, I'm so incredibly happy that Mystrade is a thing now.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I used to require myself to read to the end. I've become more lax in everything in my life lately. Including not reading a book that loses my interest. I used to blame myself. Now I blame the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.