Not open for further replies.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm so sorry to hear about this. I know you say you're fine with the third not being published, but it still must have hurt some. The worst part is having readers blame you...especially to the point of being abusive about it. I don't have any advice, just an apology for the way you're being treated.

Happy writing! And congrats on the new contracts!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I do think fans deserve an explanation, and need to know they should be complaining to the publisher, rather than to you. I couldn't care less about reviewers and critics, but fans are something else, and deserve an answer. Give them one as best you can.

For me, I think book three would be a freebie. Anyone who finds copies of the first two, or who already have the first two, would get the third one free. I can't think of any better way to build goodwill with fans.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I'm reading this right, but in case I am -- any fan who feels they have the right to abuse you is a fan you can afford to lose.

Other than that, I second linking to a blog post. Or if that gets too tiring, just ignoring them altogether.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I'm reading this right, but in case I am -- any fan who feels they have the right to abuse you is a fan you can afford to lose.

Other than that, I second linking to a blog post. Or if that gets too tiring, just ignoring them altogether.

True, but when a publisher publishes the first two books of a trilogy, and then doesn't publish the third, fans have every right to be angry. They're simply directing their anger at the wrong person, but a great many don't know any better, and think something like this is always the writer's decision.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'm gonna put on my PR hat for a moment...

While your fans may be annoying, they actually do sound pretty damn keen to get their hands on the third book (sales! money!). There may be a risk that if you leave it for ages, that demand will go away. (At my day job it's a constant battle to get the organisation to realise that if the audience is asking for something, we should give it to them).

I know you have the other contracts at the moment which will take up your time, but instead of letting the fans get to you, maybe you should give them what they want. That doesn't necessarily mean give them the third book (rather difficult with the new contracts), but maybe you can write a few short stories from the universe and give them to your fans for free? Just to keep them at bay for a while...

Just an idea :)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I want to make it clear that I'm not complaining. I'm just looking for advice on how to deal with certain types of fan mail.

A bit of background. I signed a two book series of what turned out to be a trilogy. I was given a very high advance. The first two books did very well, but not to the degree that paid out the advance. The publishers made the decision to not publish the third.

I can live with that. This isn't final and when people email me about the third novel, I tell them that I do have plans for finishing the third and self-publishing it eventually.

Meanwhile, I signed a two book deal on two stand alone books. This is fantastic. It allows me to continue writing and supporting my family.

This is where the problems have begun. I get emails and messages from people calling me all sorts of things. How dare I leave readers in the dark. How dare I go off and write something else. I'm getting bad reviews on the new book because of this too.

It bothers me because I don't want to make the publishers look like the enemy either. It was their decision and I don't fault them for it. Business is business.

Any advice?

---

Damn, I wish I had that there advance and was as successful as you! To whom do I complain?:D

Okay, seriously, first off this was the publisher's decision. Not yours. You're not to blame that the books didn't sell enough to justify them printing a third. This happens, and if you want to blame anyone, blame the market. Really, though, that isn't something you can control. It is what it is.

As for the e-mails and messages, at least no one's gone all 'Misery' on you. That would be a nightmare. In this situation, the only thing you can do is to ignore the cranks as much as possible. The only thing I would suggest is if you have your own website/blog and you have followers, pen some kind of article explaining the nature of the third novel not being done yet. It's up to them to understand, and you've already done what you needed to do.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I agree about putting a blanket statement on your website. I think it will not only reduce the e-mail, but it will give you something to point to on Twitter, ect. You can spin it in a sympathetic way. Maybe mention that taking a break and writing something different could actually make the third book better. (IMHO, "logistical delays" sounds so generic as to mean nothing and kind of begs for more e-mails asking you to define it.)

I personally don't like the idea of ignoring fans who are asking questions in a normal, non-crazy way. Now, this may be because I have no fans that I'm aware of, but were I in that position, I'd hate to lose fans who are being civil (even if they're a bit frustrating) just because a few are being all-out unreasonable.

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I like the idea of a diplomatic, optimistic blanket statement on your website, something along the lines of "To the fans of (Series Name) I thank you for your support and interest. I plan release the conclusion of the trilogy as a self-published book."

Then, following the suggestion upthread, you can appease these fans with a short or two while you finish the other two books. Maybe the shorts can be freebies.

ninja

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Polenth. You need a standard statement on your website. It will head off most individual inquiries and give you a place to direct people who didn't find the notice. Giving them a way to sign up for email notification on the self pub release is a great idea. They will have closure: there will be a 3rd book and she will tell me when it is being released.

RJenn

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the general consensus here in just putting up a blanket statement regarding your plans for a 3rd book. After that, I'd pretty much let it go. There's not much else you can do beyond that. I've never had to deal with fans in anyway, so I'm saying this purely as a consumer - but stop caring so much about what the fans think. You're never going to please every single impatient person.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'd go with the advice others have given here. Don't engage these people, because any attempt at explanation will simply encourage more interaction.

I can certainly see a fan inquiring about whether you'll ever return to your original series someday and expressing a hope that you do. It's nice to get feedback that something you've written is that compelling to readers.

But someone who would write a vitriolic, let alone threatening letter to an author because of the choices she's made about current projects? That screams of highly unbalanced.

Crazy fans probably means you've achieved a nice level of success in your writing, but that doesn't mean you have to encourage the craziness.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I once had a fan email me unsolicited 4-5 times enraged about a plot point in one book where it seemed the love interest was unfaithful. The main reason I did not reply is that is was an old book and I had forgotten that plot point entirely.* But also because, yeah, just not going to end well.

* I later remembered it was a false rumor based on a busy body seeing the character with his sister.

ghost

Hey, that's my bike!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

On the bright side, the angry fan actually apologized to me and has stated they plan to write an angry letter to the publisher. haha

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'd go with the advice others have given here. Don't engage these people, because any attempt at explanation will simply encourage more interaction.

I can certainly see a fan inquiring about whether you'll ever return to your original series someday and expressing a hope that you do. It's nice to get feedback that something you've written is that compelling to readers.

But someone who would write a vitriolic, let alone threatening letter to an author because of the choices she's made about current projects? That screams of highly unbalanced.

Crazy fans probably means you've achieved a nice level of success in your writing, but that doesn't mean you have to encourage the craziness.

Well, I think you;re assuming that fans know as much about publishing as writers do, and this is seldom the case. Many fans care passionately about books and characters, and have no clue that writers don't get to make many of the decisions about what to write, what gets published, and what doesn't.

They don't have a clue why book three never appeared, and assume it's because the writer decided not to write it.

I don't think many of them are unbalanced, they're just passionate, and this is usually a good thing.

Unless a fan really shows signs of true insanity, I try to interact with all of them, and it usually works out very well. If you think something like book three not appearing can make fans angry, try refusing any interaction. Now you have a fan who's angry because of book three, and who is now also angry because you're too snooty to reply to him.

Most fans just want to know why book three was never released, and I think the writer owes them this much. Fans are usually good people, even when they get angry, and a simple explanation can save a fan, and even cause fans to write enough letters to your publisher to make the bean counters change their mind about book three.

Amy_D

Awake in the present moment.
Registered
Reaction score
I want to make it clear that I'm not complaining. I'm just looking for advice on how to deal with certain types of fan mail.

A bit of background. I signed a two book series of what turned out to be a trilogy. I was given a very high advance. The first two books did very well, but not to the degree that paid out the advance. The publishers made the decision to not publish the third.

I can live with that. This isn't final and when people email me about the third novel, I tell them that I do have plans for finishing the third and self-publishing it eventually.

Meanwhile, I signed a two book deal on two stand alone books. This is fantastic. It allows me to continue writing and supporting my family.

This is where the problems have begun. I get emails and messages from people calling me all sorts of things. How dare I leave readers in the dark. How dare I go off and write something else. I'm getting bad reviews on the new book because of this too.

It bothers me because I don't want to make the publishers look like the enemy either. It was their decision and I don't fault them for it. Business is business.

Any advice?

Why can't I have problems like these????

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to be 'That guy',
but couldn't you invite them all to a banquet
Then ensure none of them make it home
bar the butler, of course.

ghost

Hey, that's my bike!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I think you;re assuming that fans know as much about publishing as writers do, and this is seldom the case. Many fans care passionately about books and characters, and have no clue that writers don't get to make many of the decisions about what to write, what gets published, and what doesn't.

They don't have a clue why book three never appeared, and assume it's because the writer decided not to write it.

I don't think many of them are unbalanced, they're just passionate, and this is usually a good thing.

Unless a fan really shows signs of true insanity, I try to interact with all of them, and it usually works out very well. If you think something like book three not appearing can make fans angry, try refusing any interaction. Now you have a fan who's angry because of book three, and who is now also angry because you're too snooty to reply to him.

Most fans just want to know why book three was never released, and I think the writer owes them this much. Fans are usually good people, even when they get angry, and a simple explanation can save a fan, and even cause fans to write enough letters to your publisher to make the bean counters change their mind about book three.

I have to agree with this. I answer all questions, even though the answer is often right there on the page.

If it weren't for the readers, there wouldn't be an author.

I might change my mind if I was getting hundreds of emails a day, but alas, I'm not even remotely close to being there yet. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.