Discouragement/Encouragement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reasons come up a lot so I'm wondering how much the factors matter to writers. What, if anything, discourages you from wanting to continue writing? And what encourages you to want to continue writing?

Last edited:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Publishing discourages me from writing.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
My royalty payments discourage me from writing.
The fact that I get depressed when I stop is the reason I keep going.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
My own doubts discourage me. My critique partners and betas encourage me. Not that it has to be praise to keep me going, but just getting feedback lights that fire again, to make it the best it can be, that it is possible.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rejection sucks. But successful writers are those who have learned to push past any discouragement and keep working. Take a break maybe, go on vacation, just get back to work.

Jeff

Maybe

Registered
Reaction score
Is what I'm writing total rubbish?
There are already so many books out there being ignored, what are the chances of mine being noticed?
Agents and publishers and authors saying how hard it is.
Most authors make next to no money.
Am I wasting my time? Should I just stop fooling myself?
Life would be far easier if I didn't want to write. I wouldn't, for one thing, need to think about all the above.

On the other hand:
The one and only true thing on my bucket list? For better or worse, I want to write at least one book.
You never know: it might be OK.
What the hell. You only live once.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Not being able to plow ahead without thinking about what sells. There could be a variety of reasons for this. Most can be solved by using a timer.

I was able to get a 5,000 word short story done after like many years, because I was writing without having to trudge through random posts that like to complain about genres I happen to like to write about and other issues.

I've even stopped considering writing for genre even that useful any more, because at least somebody will say something irritating like "oh your trying to write hunger games." No I'm not, just because it' dystopia doesn't make it like Hunger Games. ... At all.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I discourage me.

The fact that I can't think of what else to do with myself at present, um..."encourages" me....

(floats naked through the ambivalence)

(cuz fat floats) :D

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Rejections. And I was okay at dealing with them up for a while, but at a certain point, it just feels a bit much.

Plus my inability to write novel-length pieces.

And I'm such a slooooow writer. It's so frustrating.

And I'm not any good at promo.

Sometimes I feel like writing is something I cling to because it's a dream I've had since I was 7, but I don't even know if I like it anymore. I mean, sometimes it's a good escape, but usually it's just a slog. And then I wonder if I think that because I'm depressed, but I'll probably always be depressed...

My mind is such a sad, scary place. I don't know why anyone would want anything to do with it.

/end depressing rant

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Rejections. People who say nice things but then you discover they say the same thing to everyone. Depression. Frustration.

Encourages me? Those voices in my head that have to be shut up. My dearest best friend and beta reader.

Witch_turtle

hanging around for a spell
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing discourages me.

Yeah, I have doubts and fears from time to time, same as every other writer. But I've never doubted this is what I want to do, what I'm going to do, and that, eventually, I'll succeed at it.

Having a handful of sales under my belt encourages me harder :)

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
My perfectionism discourages me.

Love for my characters encourages me, and that incredible feeling of fulfillment that comes on the occasions that I read something back, and it's good.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
What discourages me at this time in my life is the time that it takes.

What encourages me is the rush that you get in creating something.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I love to write.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I can't say anything has ever discouraged me from writing. I truly enjoy the process of sitting down and writing. It's a fun way to spend time, and I sell most of what I write.

I worked a lot of manual labor jobs, and did a lot of very dangerous things to make money, and, admittedly, for the excitement, before becoming a writer, and the memory of how hard some of that work was, and how little it paid, makes being a writer extra special.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
I am not so much discouraged as overworked. I have no doubts that I can write neat stuff, I just occasionally get days when I have to do ALL THE THINGS and then words on page do not occur.

I don't know if exhaustion counts as being discouraged, though.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Discouraging: Thoughts that there's no real reason to be writing.

Encouraging: Writers' euphoria. A sense that the book needs to be written.

Above list does not include moments of encouragement, discouragement that come from other people.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
I am encouraged by the writing I do every day. I seriously love to write. I am discouraged by outside negativity, but even that can be an encourager if looked at in the right perspective.

KMTolan

No drama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kmtolan.com
Discouraging..hmm

Royalties...generally discouraging (and I thought I could make a living doing this stuff)

Sales when they are flat.

Encouraging?

Getting to play author at the conventions and being on the other side of those panels for once. Meeting great people and taking a tax write off on everything.

Sales when they are not flat (g)

Reviews!

Sitting comfortably with the wife and quasi-watching TV whilst pecking at my laptop on the current WIP.

Kerry

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
Changing my mind constantly about where the story should go. So much that I forget where I was yesterday, and have to start all over again. That discourages me from writing.

The nagging fear that I will never have peace if I don't write what I need to write....keeps me going.

ssbittner

scientist, artist, writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
Well, depression. But that discourages me from everything.

Sometimes news of the market discourages me from wanting to publish, but nothing really drives me away from writing. I suspect I'll do it until I'm dead. I need to tell stories.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Like RedWombat, exhaustion (physical and mental) discourages me from writing. Low sales may get me depressed, but they don't really discourage me.

What encourages me most is reading. And reviewers who actually "get" my stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.