Is it hard for you abandon a book you're not enjoying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I'm less neurotic than some here might guess, but I wrangle a sooty mood of mixed guilt and disappointment when I give up on a book I'm reading.

I think it's rooted in a poverty mindset. Back in the day, if I'd risked actual cash on a story or writing that ultimately left me cold, I couldn't just write it off. I'd chosen a book over stuff for the pantry, so if I was missing the meal anyway, I might as well distract myself with a book I didn't like.

Weird logic, but I didn't have a TV.

Now I can afford my modest book habit, but I have the hardest time leaving off a book when it's clear it's not going to get any better.

Are you guys stubborn or do books get lobbed at walls and recycle bins willy nilly at your place?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I usually have a hard time giving up on a book. This is a mix of things. If I paid money for it, I don't like having wasted that money. I also do a 100-book challenge each year (125, this year), so having spent time on a book I don't get to count can be pretty annoying. I'm more willing to give up on library books, but only if I decide quickly that I'm not going to enjoy it. If I'm pretty far into a book, I'll probably speed through the rest just to count it. At some point, if I really don't enjoy it, I start forming my negative review in my head and then finish so I can share my thoughts with the world.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I just returned a bio on John Adams. Read about 10 pages. Writing was flat and bland. Wasn't worth the read. And a person like Adams deserves far better. Will try another bio on him in the future.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I no longer review anything that I would give a two or one-star rating on Amazon or Goodreads. Not worth my time. I'm very picky about what I actually buy; I use sample texts and trusted reviews to narrow down my purchases. I'm much more likely to take a blind chance on a library book.

And I have no problem or guilt stopping a book partway through. My reading time is precious.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am pathetic at it. Except for two, I always finish them and I have a special shelf for books I didn't like so that I can tell myself I'll go back and try them again later in case I was just in a bad mood.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I used to be that way. Always finished a book no matter how crap I found it. But as I've gotten older, that's changed. Too many books, not enough time.

But I still keep every book. The second hand shops can have them when I'm dead.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have absolutely no problem stopping reading a book when it stops pleasing me. I don't even necessarily analyze why! Often, I already know and don't have to think it through, but if it is no longer enjoyable, I stop. I find someone to give it to, or, there's always the library.

Life's too short and there are far too many awesome things to experience for me to slog through a book that I don't like.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a really picky reader. If I'm not liking the book after twenty pages, I stop reading. One of the reasons I like buying books in shops - I can read the first twenty before I even buy it. Also love the 'samples' feature for kindle.

Life's too short to read crappy literature when there are so many great books to enjoy!

Squids

Battling the Sea
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a really picky reader. If I'm not liking the book after twenty pages, I stop reading. One of the reasons I like buying books in shops - I can read the first twenty before I even buy it. Also love the 'samples' feature for kindle.

Life's too short to read crappy literature when there are so many great books to enjoy!

My thoughts exactly.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just returned a bio on John Adams. Read about 10 pages. Writing was flat and bland. Wasn't worth the read. And a person like Adams deserves far better. Will try another bio on him in the future.

Please tell me this wasn't the McCullough biography...

DocMac

Registered
Reaction score
I have no qualms about putting a book down a any point that it's not holding my attention, whether that's on the first page or deep in the climax. But that tendency does affect my buying habits. I very rarely buy a book by a new (to me) author. I spend a ton of time both at the library and online where my local library is part of an awesome e-book library.

AVS

Registered
Reaction score
I used to be the same, I had to finish. But as I've got older I've asked myself why it's different to say a bad meal which I feel no inclination to finish in case it gets better at the end, or a movie where I just flip the channel... so I now bin the book if it's bad... so many books, so little time.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I seldom give up on a book unless the cover, blurb and opening promise something that the story doesn't deliver. I feel cheated and that annoys me and it disappears into the round filing cabinet. Most often though, I like to see if the writing improves as the story progresses. I really hate to miss out on discovering an author that I'll grow to enjoy because I quit on them too soon.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I've stubbornly finished books that contain continual irritants (I keep reading new books in a couple of series even though the "hero" makes me want to shoot him) as long as the story as a whole intrigues me. But if I get to the fourth or fifth chapter and nothing has really grabbed me, I put it in the donation box.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Since the advent of eReaders and the ability to sample books, I have no issues at all. If I can't get into it - for any number of reasons - within that sample, there's no use in continuing, and I don't have the mental block of not finishing something, because I did finish the sample.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm less neurotic than some here might guess, but I wrangle a sooty mood of mixed guilt and disappointment when I give up on a book I'm reading.

I think it's rooted in a poverty mindset. Back in the day, if I'd risked actual cash on a story or writing that ultimately left me cold, I couldn't just write it off. I'd chosen a book over stuff for the pantry, so if I was missing the meal anyway, I might as well distract myself with a book I didn't like.

Weird logic, but I didn't have a TV.

Now I can afford my modest book habit, but I have the hardest time leaving off a book when it's clear it's not going to get any better.

Are you guys stubborn or do books get lobbed at walls and recycle bins willy nilly at your place?

I grew up is poverty that's about as bad a sit gets in this country, but life is far too short to read a bad book. And it isn't like I ever had to buy books. Public libraries are designed for the poor, and I read close to two thousand books for the price of library card. I did have to walk about five miles, or ride my bike eight, so I also wore out some shoes and some bike tires, but the books were worth it.

So, no. Why read a bad book when I could be reading a great one?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
For decades, I read all library, borrowed, or purchased books all the way through, even if I hated them. A few years into reading fan fiction, I discovered I no longer had any veneration for writing-for-writing's-sake alone. I could tell within five pages (usually one!) from the writing and errors whether a piece was worth continuing or not. I've cheerfully dropped major epics several hundred words into them because they didn't grab me anymore. Likewise, I've continued reading some that weren't the best writing, but had interesting stories.

That inoculated me, when I started reading a lot of digital books. No more guilt at DNF - I go on to the next one.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
No. It's hard for me to finish a book I'm not enjoying, though. Literally can't keep my eyes open, or get up and start doing something else, or start a different book or whatever. Reading is something I do for me (well, unless I was in a class with assigned reading, or have promised to read a friend's manuscript or something).

Last edited:

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
No. I read for pleasure. Life's too short to spend time on a book you hate.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to finish every book I started reading. Did it for many years. Then it hit me--what was more valuable to me? The money I'd spent on the book or the time I was wasting reading something I wasn't enjoying?

The money is spent, but my time isn't. So I now choose my time over the cost of anything I'm not enjoying (book, movie, etc.). I don't see the point in wasting anything more on something that isn't enjoyable.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Count me in as one of the people who used to feel morally obliged to finish a book. Not any more. I got eighty pages into a book I was reading as part of a little project of my own, and thought, the heck with this! It's back on the shelf, its future undetermined, its fate unknown, beyond that I won't be reading any more of it.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I find it much easier to stop reading e-books than print books, that's for sure. Probably because I'll one click those free ones to see if they're any good and they're usually not. Also, print books are expensive and I don't buy them or hunt them down at the library unless it's something I really, really want to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.