Is it hard for you abandon a book you're not enjoying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a real maverick when it comes to reviews--I like to come to a book or a film knowing as little as possible, so usually reviews give too much away for me. Of course, that means I get disappointed in a heck of a lot of books! lol

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have no problems putting a book aside if I don't enjoy it. It's very rare when I throw one out, however. I hang on to physical books for our annual book drive at work and ebooks are simply removed from my reader and archived.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
If skimming pages doesn't help me get to a better part of the book, (that is, it's horrible and I have the urge to throw it against a wall) I abandon it. I do feel guilty over the money spent but I would feel far worse over the time lost when I could be reading something better.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
I have no problems quitting a book. Actually I probably quit more books than I finish... I'm low on reading time and very picky. It's exciting when I like a book enough to want to finish it. I get all my books from the library so I especially don't feel obliged. I really only buy books I've already read and loved, or from very favourite authors.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I used to finish 'em all, but I clawed my eyes out one too many times. Cathartic as writing a bad review may be, I never set out to do it. These days, I only feel obligated to finish if I've posted a book in the Currently Reading sidebar on my book review blog - usually after I've made it through 10 - 20% of the thing. Otherwise, it vanishes without a trace; I don't review anything I cannot finish. E-books get deleted, while physical books usually go to my aunt's Little Free Library. (I used to save them up for Half Price Books, but they pay crud ever since they started bringing in current best-sellers, so I figured it wasn't worth my time. And I keep my physical books in very good condition... unlike some of the junk they've pawned off on me the past couple times I went in.)

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I find myself abandoning more and more books after a few chapters, not because books are getting worse but I because I have less patience. It's the same with theatre - twenty years ago I would have stayed to the end in the hope that a bad or simply disappointing show might get better in the second half. Now I just leave at the interval.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Nope. Life's too short and I have plenty of other books to read. (Too many!) I don't actually end up abandoning many, but that's because I'm choosy about what I even start and always read the sample of the book from a new to me author.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, reading a few of the responses here, I've realised I do find it harder to give up on a book proportionate to how much money I wasted on it.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Naw. I don't even finish books I'm ehh about. :D

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
I find it terribly difficult to put a book down.

If I'm in it past the first few pages, I'm in it until the end. Not sure why, but I'm just not wired to quit on a book I've started - even if I dislike it.

There have been a few books I've put down and forgotten about, but I can only think of one I've ever set down with the specific intention not to finish. :eek:

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
This idea of finishing a bad book because you've paid for it is a great example of a sunk cost fallacy. :D

Personally, I don't think I've ever purposefully given up on a book. I usually have two or three books on the go at any one time, and what tends to happen if one of them isn't very good is that my reading time slants more and more heavily in favour of the others. Eventually, weeks or months go by without me having read the lesser book at all, at which point I give it up as a lost cause.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
It's getting easier for me.

There are some books (non-fiction books in particular, but some fiction as well) that made me uncomfortable or I that I just couldn't get into, but that I felt were important enough to keep reading, so I've pressed on though I wanted to stop.

With unimportant books, though, I have gotten past my "sunk cost fallacy" of having to finish them because I don't want my previous investment to go to waste.

I've finally come to understand that my current and future time have value, while my past time and money have none. Whether I read the book or not, the time and money I've already put into it are gone, and I can never get them back. I'm not going to chase that bad investment by spending my valuable current time on it. If I can get better utility out of that time by doing anything else, I will.

Last edited:

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
I used to. Ebooks made my life much easier, though--no book sitting accusingly on the nightstand. I just drift away to look at something else, and it slides down the ranks in the library. If I'm feeling organized, I shuffle it into my "Half Read" folder. And I fail to finish a LOT of books these days.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I used to struggle with this a lot, to the point that I'd have arguments with myself even as I threw a book against the wall. It's easier now that I remind myself how many other books are out there that I want to read, and how not every book is for every reader, and that my reading time is finite. I will get no reward for my suffering. It will not build character or serve me dinner. It will just waste my time.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I should get something for my money. Even if it's only a chance to complain about the book.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I have trouble giving up on a book. I don't know why. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with having paid for it (or not). I typically plough through to the bitter end no matter how much I dislike it. I generally choose books from literary prize lists or that have been lauded by critics and readers, so usually my reason for disliking a book isn't because it's badly written (I could quit that) but because I find it boring or long-winded or I'm not otherwise gripped by the story. It takes me twice (or more) as long to finish a book I dislike.

I need to learn to let them go but I'm not there yet.

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
Yes and no. Like someone else said it depends on how awful I think it is. I tend to keep reading though...even if I read several other books before I finish the one I'm not enjoying. I usually want to know how it ends though and maybe, just maybe, the next chapter will be better. :)

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
There was a time when I just wouldn't give up on a book; there was always a chance I'd find something to like even if it was only a certain turn of phrase.

As I've grown older it's gotten easier, though. Too many good books are out there waiting and time grows shorter.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Books are like a box of chocolates. If I bite into one and find its got some horrible tasting center, I toss it aside and bite into another one until I find one I do enjoy.

Besides, I'm a slow reader and if it takes me a week or more to read a book, do I really want to spend that week being miserable, or do I want to pick up another book I might enjoy?

Last edited:

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
It is terrible difficult for me to just stop a book just because I don't like it. If I am plowing through it making progress, I will keep going. I am more likely to stop reading a book that I want to read, with the knowledge that I will get back to it in time. I've done it many times before, generally when I am getting through it very sluggishly because I'm distracted by other things that I'm reading (generally comics).

I read rather slowly, so unless a book has me by the hair, it'll likely take me two weeks to finish. Add on the fact that I only read at night, unless I'm hooked and will forgo reading if I'm too tired. That said, I am very selective of the books I choose. I don't stray out of the genres I like. And I don't try a book just because I cover is pretty and the jacket piques my interest. I generally research before I start so I don't find too many misses.

Last edited:

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I am more likely to stop reading a book that I want to read, with the knowledge that I will get back to it in time.

I've got one like that sitting on my shelf right now. Just couldn't get into it for some reason and found myself spacing out instead of reading so set it aside. The writing is great, it's an international bestseller but my little brain just isn't interested right now. Figured I'd wait a while and try again when life slows down a bit and I can concentrate better.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I'm slow reader, too. A savorer. And I do- not - skim. Skimming is the Devil's invention.

So, yeah, I'm enjoying your responses and vow to fret less over books I don't finish.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
This is where the free Kindle samples changed my life. No, I didn't finish the book, but darn it, I finished that sample! My neurosis is satisfied, and I'm not spending hours on a book I don't love.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on why I am thinking of abandoning it. If the story hasn't hooked me the way the blurb did, or I dislike the writing then I find it easy to abandon. If I'm struggling because it is challenging me (like with Tipping the Velvet which I am currently reading,) I will try to work through it.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Oh, I loved Tipping the Velvet! In fact, I enjoyed all her books.

But you are right, I have tried to stick with 'difficult' books in the past. Gulliver's Travels was the worst. I nearly threw that a few times but it became a really satisfying read in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.