A December to Dismember--500 words/day, all genres welcome

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
So A December to Dismember is back, by popular demand (my dog really likes that name). A day early, too! (I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow but want to make sure no one else is slacking!)

You know the rules. Off-topic stuff goes elsewhere. This is the support-each-other thread for words per day and editing.

How did you do in November? If you were NaNo-ing, did you finish? Did you sign a solemn pledge in blood not to query December 1st?

I did better than I thought in November. Though my agent and I parted ways and I thought there would be a break on the actual writing front, I started something new and puttered away on it almost every day. There are very few actual words (less than 3K), but that's so much better than recent months. It's fun to be writing something just for me, to let the inner psycho loose again. :e2chain: :D

Tell me about you!

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
So A December to Dismember is back, by popular demand (my dog really likes that name). A day early, too! (I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow but want to make sure no one else is slacking!)

I voted for Decadent December. What happened? :Shrug: I guess the dog ate my ballot. :tongue

Anyway, November was a pretty good month for me, other than failing miserably at NaNo. I did top 20K on book 3 of my Kelli Storm series though. :D If I can keep up this pace, I may have the first draft done by March, maybe sooner.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm in - my monthly target is 10k, which would take me to 16 thousand odd overall. Bonus Christmas points if I can make it to 20k, but at this point I'd be happy to just hit the ten thousand I was supposed to do in November...

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I'm in.

November was not bad - but I'm verbose, so NaNo is kind of cheating for me. Thinking of using the CreateSpace coupon to get some printed copies of my beta - although I don't know if I'll be able to resist incorporating the reader feedback first. Publishing digitally is wonderfully ephemeral, but an actual physical printed book? I must strive for perfection!

Looking to average 1K a day in December. I'm still waiting on some beta feedback (I have two people I know are actually reading at the moment, and one who will hopefully get to it after the holidays), so I don't want to start revisions just yet. Also, I'm having fun with this WIP, for all it's a mushy mess, and I want to see if I can give it some shape before I have to set it aside.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I just won NaNo after a three day word sprint, so no (major) words for the next couple of days. However, I want to stay in writing mode. NaNo reminded me of just what I can achieve if I keep throwing words at the page even if I don't start out inspired. So, I plan to continue working on the NaNo works that aren't done yet.

Good luck to everyone in their goals!

:Sun:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
About 725 words today, which I'm pretty happy with. Many of them will go tomorrow, I'm sure, but for today it's not bad. :)

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just won NaNo after a three day word sprint, so no (major) words for the next couple of days.
Way to go, TheIT.:Trophy:

November started well for me then tapered off. I'm struggling to finish this 1st (very rough) draft. In December I intend to get the last few scenes fleshed out, no matter how awful they are I will not go back and edit.

bellabar

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in. Even though it's the 2nd already here, so I'm behind target already! Aiming for 500 words which should see me close to the end. So near, yet so far away.
Good luck everyone :)

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also failed NaNo. Today though, got just 1,543.

What do you mean just 1,543!:Jaw:

Have you seen some of our word counts?

Stand proud, girl.:Clap:

Good luck with the 500, bellabar. You can do it.;)

Racey

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in! Nano started off well then life got in the way, so only 10k words in November. Goal of 500 a day for December sounds much more achievable (for me) :fistpump

bellabar

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Yay. 517 and stopped halfway through a paragraph so I'll have something to write tomorrow.
I am so impressed by your 1500 plus word outputs but for me, small goals are better. I tried Nano last year, wrote madly for a week, and then had a couple of days off which stretched to a week, which, well...
So this time, I'm going for the slow but steady approach.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Congrats TheIT!

Awesome everyone.

I spent most of my day yesterday Christmas shopping and finishing up a freelance job. After all was said and done, I was completely, utterly braindead, so no words for me. :( Today, however, I'm back in the game. :D

GinnieHazel

Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to do this. I've discovered from two nano projects that I need time to mull over my scenes before I write them, and 500 a day is just right for me.

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I got probably around 600 words. Don't know for sure though as I was physically writing on paper - SHOCK HORROR!

Good start I think

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
1052 today, and a little bit of refactoring. This one is starting to have a shape, I think; but I want to get through a first draft before I start carving what I've already got, and I suspect I'm about halfway through at this point. Maybe 2/3.

Still figuring out what this one is about. Life vs. duty vs. happiness, I think. Something like that. Eh, my characters will let me in on it at some point.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in. Goal for December is to get to the end of the current draft of the WIP (draft #3).

Generally I'm popping off to warmer climes in December, but I'm stuck in the cold and wet British Isles this year. Hubby will be in warmer climes, but it's for work so he claims he won't see much more than the office and a hotel room.

It doesn mean though that as I'll be home alone for much of the month, I should have time to write.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1,870 word over the weekend.:banana:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't even try nano. :tongue I did, however, get over 6,000 last month in the last couple of weeks, which isn't much but all things considered for me is improvement. I also sorted out a ton of details and did some editing work on older stories, and so on.

Anyway, my goal is 20,000 by the end of December. I'd love to do 1000 a day if I could, but I know realistically that's not likely to happen. My second goal is to not beat myself up for not meeting the first goal.