Disaster In My Region: AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods)

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
we're supposed to get hit w/ another storm, this afternoon. winds are picking up, now.

I've been hitting fb here and there checking on you, stormie, glad to hear that you're ok :D

I finally got power back Sunday night, but it's insane around here trying to forage for gas. so many have lost homes along the CT shoreline, it's frightening. I walked along one beach, that was partially open and bits of someone's home had washed up.

It's been tricky, at best getting around w/ all the downed trees/power lines all over the place and now more expected to drop. The line men from Kentucky and Tenn hooked our street up and are remaining in the area for the next few days in case we have more outages.

FWIW, I tried to check in via my smart phone, but was unable to. I could only get to fb?

I'll copy/paste this in the other thread.

Had to go to a funeral the other day for a firefighter/emt who was killed during the storm due to a tree falling on his engine while responding to a call. There were firefighters from as far away as Canada who came; it was amazing to be a part of the procession as a 1st responder.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I'm seriously thinking of changing my user name. (Not.) I swear if another storm comes this way (sorry, Jean Marie!) I think I'll--I'll--oh heck, I can't even think!

I'm so sorry, Jean Marie, that a firefighter died. I think I heard about that (he was hit by a falling tree?). Glad you're okay! How is your boat? Your doggies?

ETA: For now we have power. Fingers crossed.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stormie and Jean Marie, I hope this latest storm doesn't knock out your power again. And that you can stay warm and safe. That goes for everyone who got hit by Sandy and is now feeling Athena's wrath. :(

Hang in there. :Hug2:

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm okay, thanks Ambrosia! Jean Marie lives about 60 miles north of me. I know she was working all last night so she might be sleeping in this morning.

Our area got about five inches of heavy wet snow. Pretty but.... Power kept going on and off. Seems to be okay now. A lot of trees here look tipsy. Or maybe it's me. :D

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
All told, we only lost a few large branches and the power has stayed on.A little bit of snow left on the trees and grass.

No trains yet and spotty bus service but my family and neighbors are okay. The Gov. briefly visited my town yesterday but I was too busy trying to get through the one checkpoint.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fires in NSW, and across Australia

Catastrophic conditions. Do take care, everyone.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Oh dear, that part of the world really needs some rain. What with the fires in NSW and Tasmania.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Temperatures are rising "off the charts", apparently. Do stay safe, Aussies...

ETA: (after what must have been an horrendous day down there) Well done, Australia! And especially well done the various Fire Services.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just thought, have any of our Aussies checked in recently?

I've chatted with a couple on Facebook. One was having a problem with power going out occasionally and it being very hot. One of the daughters had nicknamed her bedroom "the sauna."

There were tornado warnings and floods in my area today; but I don't think there has been much damage (but I'm not sure).

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Oh good that they are still about.

Cliff Face is in Sydney, isn't he? Anyone heard from him?

M R Mortimer

SF Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.suspendedearth.com
I had four days in a row over 49 celsius (120.2f) before that catastrophic fire danger day. The catastrophic fire danger guidelines basically say if it is declared, it means should a fire start it can not be stopped. Run. With fires burning nearby, we evacuated, but were able to return home. It was a nervous time for a lot of people, but the fire services did amazing work. No homes or lives lost in my area.

After living through the 49 degree days, 38 feels cool and comfortable! Last night it even rained a bit. tomorrow it will be a week since that first catastrophic conditions day, and I think we are through it for now.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had four days in a row over 49 celsius (120.2f) before that catastrophic fire danger day. The catastrophic fire danger guidelines basically say if it is declared, it means should a fire start it can not be stopped. Run. With fires burning nearby, we evacuated, but were able to return home. It was a nervous time for a lot of people, but the fire services did amazing work. No homes or lives lost in my area.

After living through the 49 degree days, 38 feels cool and comfortable! Last night it even rained a bit. tomorrow it will be a week since that first catastrophic conditions day, and I think we are through it for now.

Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Kudos to your firefighters!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
We're okay up here. About two feet of snow, lots of people in the dark but around here the power mostly stayed on.

I got blizzard duty again, but it was a pretty quiet shift. Good thing too; driving was almost impossible. But people stayed off the road like they were supposed to. No fatalities or significant injuries, plenty of offers of hot beverages.

My dad says '78 was much worse than this.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Inland (NWNJ) ~10 inches soft snow, wind has been over for about an hour now.

Power outages, wind and snow totals up the coast said to be quite severe.