WORLD CUP WATCH

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
I always like watching the Aussies, always end up rooting for them. Good to see that goal. And you never know...
No, we know. We all know.

But...nice to see that goal. A double with Cahill and Robben to score anytime. That's me happy for a bit. :)

In fairness, the Aussies are picking up a bit, but nah, they wont make it out of this group.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
"One of only two teams to make the finals" obviously can't mean anything other than the last game. "One of only two teams." And I noted the other team to do the same was Spain. Because Spain played the Netherlands in the finals of the last World Cup in 2010. Spain won, 1-0.

Ermm... yes I know. I watched it.

So it was meant to be a joke then?

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
Chile seem to have gone off to party or something.

Oz might draw, but neither team will come first or second in the group.

Game quite watchable all the same

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
So was the Netherlands that good or did Spain simply fall apart in a one time meltdown? Two fantastic goals by Robben and Van Persie though.

I also think Chile is being overestimated and Mexico is being underestimated.

Spain will dominate Australia in the next match, of course. They'll be out to take the bad taste of the Netherlands match out of their mouths and I'd hate to be the Aussies in this situation.

The Netherlands will control the game against Chile and will win, but it won't be a rout like the game against Spain.

I would not be at all surprised to see Mexico defeat Croatia. As many others have noted, it all depends on which Mexico team shows up for that particular game.

Cup play has barely begun but already there have been some rather surprising results – Brazil playing badly, Spain collapsing and the Netherlands looking great, Mexico winning despite having two valid goals disallowed.

Next upset? I'm going with England over Italy. Maybe just wishful thinking, & before play started I wouldn't given England much of a chance at all. But I think we're going to see a lot more unexpected results.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I enjoyed the Chile v Aus game. Very entertaining second half. Felt a bit sorry for Aus as that wasn't really a 3-1 game.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Spain will dominate Australia in the next match, of course. They'll be out to take the bad taste of the Netherlands match out of their mouths and I'd hate to be the Aussies in this situation.

I thnk Spain are playing Chile in their next game?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
They certainly did.

Ok here we go with England. For the first time, I am completely meh about whether England win or lose.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Just saw the replay of the Costa Rica game, didn't know the result and got very excited for them. Happy with Aus's effort, even happier that our coach wasn't happy about it cos he expected to win.

Miranda why the meh for your boys?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I really enjoyed yesterday's games, aside for England losing. I particularly enjoyed the last one, Ivory Coast v. Japan. Helluva thing, those back-to-back headers.

And it was great to see some games without blown calls, by and large.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Thought England played reasonably well. With better finishing they should have got a draw. Overall though, it served as a reminder that Italy are a good side; they defend well, pass well, retain the ball and Balotelli is dangerous

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I agree. England looked capable of scoring more goals. Personally, I would liked to have see Lallana get the start because I think he would have provided a little more possession and created a few more chances. Maybe he'll get the start against Uruguay?

Regardless, based on what England showed, I'm hopeful they might go through.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Just saw the replay of the Costa Rica game, didn't know the result and got very excited for them. Happy with Aus's effort, even happier that our coach wasn't happy about it cos he expected to win.

Miranda why the meh for your boys?

It's been a feeling that been building up since the 2010 World Cup, TBH. I was so embarrassed by the way they played. And then Rooney made it a lot worse by giving out on camera about the fans booing as the players went off. I kept thinking 'how fecking dare he speak about us like that!' And then I kept seeing reports on their entitled attitudes and actions and I just lost my love for both the England team and the football leagues in England. In fact, I paid so little attention to this last season I don't know who half the present England team are!

I've been watching and following the women's football a lot more the last couple of years.

And to be honest, because I have no emotional investment in the team anymore, I enjoyed the game a lot more. It was a good game of football and, IMO, our manager used the right tactics. Allowing the young uns to use their speed against the Italian defence (who traditionally don't like being run at) worked well. It was our defence that slipped up.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
There's a genuine question over whether Rooney should start the next match. He did one thing right - the pass for Sturridge's goal. But his failure to protect Baines gave Italy a lot of space down the left which is where Balotelli's goal came from. I might well be inclined to start with Lallana or Barkley.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
There's a genuine question over whether Rooney should start the next match. He did one thing right - the pass for Sturridge's goal. But his failure to protect Baines gave Italy a lot of space down the left which is where Balotelli's goal came from. I might well be inclined to start with Lallana or Barkley.

OH and I were talking about that last night. I'm having doubts about him too. But OH reckons Rooney should be in the middle where he is comfortable. He reckons it's Gerard that should be dropped because he can no longer run forward so resorts to the long ball. And he's not accurate enough. Wilshere should be in that position. Or possibly Lallana.