Status
Not open for further replies.

bananamelissa

Climbing the mountain of life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
I'm starting a new novel that will be sort of a chick-lit, light hearted story. I would like the story to be told from both perspectives. Sometimes we'll follow the girl around, and sometimes the guy. The chapters will alternate between her and him.

I'm wondering if people have a specific way they like shifting perspectives in books? Do you prefer for both to be in first person? Right now I have the girl in first. I just started my first chapter with the guy, and it was going to be in third. But then I was wondering if this was a bad idea, to go back and forth from first to third.

Any thoughts or personal tastes on this?

jcwriter

Splish splash I was takin' a bath
Registered
Reaction score
I say yes. The reader will quickly pick up on the format. The only caveat I see is, when you're writing a "guy" chapter (third POV), it might be easy to slip into the gal's (or some other characters's) perspective. That error would be more apparent when writing a "gal" chapter.

Good luck with it.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer two first-person POVs or two third-person POVs to a first- and a third-person POV, but other people will disagree with me. So what I'm really saying is to do what feels right for the book because you can't please everyone ;)

Patterns are helpful (such as switching at each chapter break and only at chapter breaks), but are probably less necessary if both are third-person than those other two choices.

No matter what the decision, make sure both POVs are distinct (and not just in a switch from first to third) and easy to determine even if you had no pattern.

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to chime in and say that as personal preference as a reader, I can't stand two first person POVs in the same novel, especially romance.

And I write in first myself (and third) and don't mind the POV in general in the slightest. The problem I've had with the novels I've read in alternating first is that they did a poor job of distinguishing between the POVs, and it was often not clear whose POV you were in. They didn't switch off regularly by chapter, or put headers in for clarity, or anything. You were just suddenly, section by section, in another POV. Or maybe the original one. Hard to say.

Just make it clear when you alternate. :)

I went with first and third for mine WIP. It works for my story, and it was the girl's head I much more needed to get into. But what works best for yours?

bananamelissa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
Hey everyone, thank you so much for the comments that was really helpful. I didn't really want to write two first pov's but I started second guessing myself. I will keep it as is and switch at chapter breaks.

Thanks again for the help!

little_e

Trust: that most precious coin.
Registered
Reaction score
When switching POVs, btw, I try to start the new POV section with the POV-character's name close to the beginning of the first line, preferably performing some action. This helps orient the reader, I think.

Good luck.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
tbh, I prefer both in third. I can think of very few examples of books with both third and first person. I like Joshilyn Jackson, and she has at least 2 books that do this, but I would hate for most things I read to be written this way. It really sticks out to me whenever I see it because it's rather unusual (at least in the sort of things I read) and I find it a bit jarring too.

I recently read a book where both hero and heroine were in first person, and it alternated between chapters. Even though the POV character's name was given under the chapter heading, it still took a couple pages to orient myself at the beginning of each chapter. Probably in part because the voices weren't distinct enough, in that case. And I might not have minded so much if the chapters weren't so short.

BBBurke

Along for the ride
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairbburke.com
While I could see first and third working, I would find it hard to do in a way that made the stories equal. And if you're going to split the book between them, I'd want each story to be balanced. I wrote a similar thing and did each in third - seemed to make it 'their' story, and not 'her' story with some stuff on him thrown in. Good luck!

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
My personal least favorite is two 1st person POVs. That doesn't mean I won't read it, I just prefer either both in 3rd, or one 1st and one 3rd.

And ditto to the above, make sure each voice is distinctive.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I've recently read a few books where the POV shifts - and in my opinion, sometimes it does too much. But if it's alternate chapters and the reader definitely knows 'whose head' the POV is coming from, then why not?

bananamelissa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
A lot of great feedback for doing both in third person. I could see that working well for the story also, and helping making the writing easier. Thank you for the comments.

lefty23

Registered
Reaction score
I thought the novel Gone Girl did a really nice job of this.

bananamelissa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
I am super late to the Gone Girl bandwagon, but I've been getting the urge to read it lately. Since it might help me get some insight on two perspectives I just might have to treat myself to it :) Thanks lefty23.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
If you want an example of how not to handle different POVs, No Country For Old Men is a good one. At least two third-person POVs and every chapter starts with a 'he' doing something. You have to read several paragraphs before you find out which 'he' it is this time, then read back. Not a book I'd read again, the utterly miserable plot aside.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I also read a highly-rated book a few months ago - as an ARC copy; it just came out - in which the POV changes with every chapter; minor characters get a chapter or two; the POV changes from first to third; and chapters are written as happening both in the present and past.

A nightmare to read.

Last edited:

IdrisG

the wicked wit of the west
Registered
Reaction score
Time jumps are very difficult to convey well, especially when they're being conveyed by different characters. I feel as though I've read at least one book that manages to pull it off, but no title comes to mind.

Jenkki

Registered
Reaction score
I don't read romance too often so take this comment as you will. But if you have two main characters and one of them is written in first person and the other is third person, my gut feeling is the story is really about the first person voice and you should only dip into the third person guy for dramatic or plot reasons. The ratio of First Person chapters should be really high. It's not impossible to balance them but it would need skillful writing in both POVs.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Pov shifts are usually done at scene breaks or chapter breaks. If it's in first person, it can be a bit harder to get whose pov you're in immediately, unless the situation or the voice is extremely character specific. Most writers I've run across who have multi first person povs will have the name of the pov character at the beginning of the chapter or scene.

With limited third, it's easier to differentiate by using the name of the pov character early in the scene and describing something that makes it clear we're seeing things through that person's eyes.

bananamelissa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
I went back through all the comments from the start, and the preferance is on two third person POVs. Fortunatley I haven't written much so I can change the chapter I have now from first to third and play around with this.

Thank you again for the feedback, it's been a huge help. And about No Country For Old Men being tough to read, I have heard from other people that Cormac McCarthy is just hard to dive into in general. One of his books was picked for a book club I was in. Half the group didn't show up and of those who did, only two people had finished it, and they hated it. I think there could be an entire thread dedicated to who reads his books and why? It's kind of torture. Maybe it's like Cross Fit and I'll just never understand it or be a part of it. We all have our tastes and preferences.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Third person is my preferred person. I sometimes read first person, but it isn't my second favorite person. When I've read something that jumps from first to third and back again, I am irritated at every jump. Irritation is not my favorite frame of mind.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I've read multi first person povs that I like immensely. I don't really have a "favorite" when it comes to limited third or first. It depends on what works best for the story.

I guess I've never read a book in first and thought, "I'd like this so much better if it were in limited third," or vice versa. The story either grabs me as it's written or it doesn't.

victoriakmartin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriakmartin.com
I've only read one book that alternated between first person and third person, Emily Giffen's Heart of the Matter, and I thought it was really interesting. I've tried it out myself in fan fiction and it does have a neat effect of letting the reader have a different experience getting into the head of each character - there is a bit more distance with the 3rd person POV.

You're going to find a lot of personal preference in this so I would go with whatever you personally prefer. There are a lot of people who hate first person period but most of my favourite books have used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.