Please help with my first sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.

what?

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently fighting with the first sentence of my novel and would very much love to get your feedback on what I have come up with.

The novel is written in German (my mother tongue), and given below is just a rough translation, so please don't dwell on minor orthographic or grammar mistakes. Do comment on the style, though.

The genre of the novel is Science Fiction. It tells the story of a young man who is forced to commit crimes by "foreign thoughts" and emotions that are caused by a brain implant. Currently the novel begins with the first such thought appearing in the mind of the protagonist. Here is a summary of the beginning:

version A said:
A foreign thought befell me. Go to the space port.

[The protagonist is torn from his reading and focuses on his surroundings. These are described. After thinking about his situation a bit, he returns to his reading, only to be interrupted by the foreign thought again, this time with more insistence.]

I would like to begin with the intruding thought, but after staring at it for weeks I have completely lost all feeling for that sentence and can no longer tell whether it is interesting or totally boring. I know all about stating universal philosophical truths, presenting an unexpected or ironic turn, rasing high stakes, and whatever else is recommended to hook the reader in the first sentence, but I don't want to give away the plot and take away impact from the shocks I will deliver later, and my narrative perspective (first person present tense) makes some devices impossible.

So I have begun to wonder if I should start with the description and thus have something that the alien thought can intrude into:

version B said:
[The surroundings of the protagonist are described. After thinking about his situation a bit, he returns to his reading, only to be immediately interrupted...]

...by a foreign thought. Go to the space port.

[The protagonist wants to push away that thought and continue reading, but is again interrupted, this time with more insistence.]

But while I can write an interesting description, it is still just a description and never as interesting as something out of the ordinary, like foreign thoughts, happening. So:

Where should I let the foreign thought intrude, at the beginning or further into the story?

And how can I phrase the intrusion of a foreign thought in a better, more intriguing way?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The thought belongs wherever it belongs.

And thoughts don't usually appear out of nowhere. Something has to trigger the thought.

I think, in the English version at least, the use of the word 'foreign' is wrong. How does anyone know they have had or are having a 'foreign' thought.

Not sure if that's any help but good luck.

what?

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Bufty.
And thoughts don't usually appear out of nowhere. Something has to trigger the thought.
That is true, but in this story the thought does appear out of nowhere, which is what I am trying to express. What triggers it, the protagonist will find out in the course of the book.
I think, in the English version at least, the use of the word 'foreign' is wrong. How does anyone know they have had or are having a 'foreign' thought.
People who suffer from psychosis sometimes have thoughts that they perceive as not belonging to themselves. See e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought_insertion These thoughts are sometimes described as "alien" or "foreign" thoughts in psychiatric literature, e.g. see http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/182/4/293.long

I am not sure how these people "know" that these thoughts are "not their own", i.e. what characteristics these thoughts have, or what emotions accompany them, that make those people believe that these thoughts are foreign to their thinking and have been inserted into their minds. I will have to research that, and maybe it will give me a better idea how to describe the process and perception of the thought insertion. Thank you for that!

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unless I knew the character had had brain surgery of some sort I would never connect the 'foreign' of a described 'foreign thought' to that, or to any form of illness. I would simply be wondering why the word foreign had been used.

Incidentally, your English is outstanding considering you are writing in German.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since the foreign thought is the inciting incident in a fairly passive scene, the earlier it's mentioned, the better. I think you need a more vigorous verb than "befell" (which implies a chance occurrence) and some sense of what's being interrupted by the thought to set up its peculiarity and randomness. For example, "Nestled in my favorite armchair, with a cup of steaming tea at my elbow, I was thumbing through my well-worn copy of Thoreau's Walden when a foreign thought pierced my contentment, like a skewer through a chunk of raw meat: Go to the space port.

Now that's just a quick n' dirty (and pretty long and purple into the bargain), but you get the idea.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to help. :)

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I think here is where that famous 'show don't tell' comes into play. I see your point about the 'foreign' being exactly what it is, and you can also argue that since the person is recalling the past, he knows it's foreign, but I guess you are wanting to portray it as it's happening. I'd suggest doing a little more to show what his ordinary thinking is like and then show this strange, incongruous thought. As you've written it, it lies flat, so to speak. Anyway, I think a good way to go about it would be to present a picture of his normal thought pattern - you can let us know a lot about the world & his situation, even in just a few sentences - and then show the strange thought intruding.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
ps - for the sake of getting the clarity, you might try sketching this out a few times in the present tense. This would help you avoid any of the character's judgement's (ie the word 'foreign') about what he's experiencing.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
The thought could also be so jarring it seems to be spoken out loud. But the MC quickly realizes - with no one there but him - that the words are in his head.

This would be a good approach to consider because it can lead to action on the part of the MC that demonstrates that this is unusual and unsettling. You can also use this method to show an increase in the alien's strength over time.

For my explanation, I'll assume that "Go to the spaceport" is the MC's first experience with the alien thoughts.

The first time it might sound to the MC like someone has spoken to him but it won't sound quite right. He'll understand it but it will be like someone spoke at normal volume at the other end of the house, just at the edge of hearing.

It gets his attention but he knows he's alone in the house so he ignores it and settles back down to read.

He hears it again, more clearly. This time he thinks that it's two neighbors talking on the street. He walks from room to room and peers out the windows, seeing nothing.

From this point, his choices will, I assume, lead into your story.

This approach is ambiguous enough it shouldn't give anything away and I think it will interject the tension you're looking for into the scene.

what?

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for all the helpful feedback and ideas. I'll play with them and see what I can create. In the meantime, what about this:

version C said:
One evening the thought was given to me that I should go to the space port.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
A foreign thought befell me. Go to the space port.

An odd thought popped into my mind. Go to the space port.
Go to the space port. Huh? Where did that come from?
A curious thought came to mind. Go to the space port.

Hillsy7

Registered
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, Dean Koontz did this a few times in Coldfire (thought the character spoke the words rather than thought them). Something like this:

"Dave weighed the two cans of Dried beans in his hands, as though he could discern their quality through weight. But one was on offer, the other stamped with the word 'premium' like the brand of a respected cattle breeder. Would the chili even taste different with one brand of beans or -

Go to the space port

Both beans hit the white polished tiles. The thought had been shoved into his head like a careless attendant restocking the shelves in front of him. His hands trembled; thoughts rearranged themselves to accommodate the intrusion. Who? How?"

Anyways. Koontz is a master, I'm a schmuck. I'd also have no issue with jamming the thought in as the first line and explaining context later.

Ah! Found it! Use Amazon's look inside feature and read the first 2 pages ("Life line" is the key phrase there):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0747236054/?tag=absowrit-21

Just a quick addition:

I'd like to get on my hobby horse and say this is actually about writing in general, and how you'd like a thought to be shown on the page. This could be any line - the fact its the first, for me, is irrelevant. I've never dropped a book because the first line didn't make me swoon with anticipation. Just make sure it doesn't suck, just like all the other lines in your book. Therefore, treat this as a study in the craft of writing, not as a first line workshop

My two penneth

[Disclaimer - I always get antsy when I see people struggling with their first line(s). So much stress is piled onto it, when in my opinion writers shouldn't feel pressured to work and rework a few sentences until insanity beckons - I feel they are a hell of a lot less important than they're made out to be. Just so everyone knows my personal bias]

Last edited:

what?

Registered
Reaction score
[stuff Hillsy7 wrote]
Holy cow! *hug kiss cuddle pat* Thank you thank you thank you. That's it! *goes and writes a beginning worthy of Dean R. Koontz*

Hillsy7

Registered
Reaction score
No worries - it's strange how your brain remembers stuff. I wrote my sample opening without really remembering the details from Cold Fire (hell I wasn't even sure if the book started with "life line" - I read it in nearly 20 years ago), and yet my sub-conscious put together the idea of an intrusive thought with standing in a supermarket comparing mundane products

The subconscious kicks ass - and is a plagurist!!!

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Are you using the words "fremd" in German? Because "ein fremder Gedanke" I think reads less weird than a foreign thought. At least to me it makes perfect sense and conveys that the thought isn't his.

what?

Registered
Reaction score
Are you using the words "fremd" in German? Because "ein fremder Gedanke" I think reads less weird than a foreign thought. At least to me it makes perfect sense and conveys that the thought isn't his.
Thanks, yeah, I wasn't too worried about the fact that the English word "foreign" received mixed responses, but even in German the sentence falls flat (as Layla Nahar commented) if it is the very first thing you read. Still, I'm glad that you would support my choice of words and will keep it – but provide some context to it.

what?

Registered
Reaction score
you might try sketching this out a few times
Just wanted to thank you for that part of your answer specifically. I had been sitting in front of my computer thinking about what and how to write, not being able to understand which idea might work (best), and just writing out each and every idea finally untied the knot in my mind for me: I simply felt which was the right version of my beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.